Vietnamese traffic lights

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Vietnamese traffic lights

Post by Glenn A »

Don't know if anyone saw this on the news about President Trump meeting Kim in Hanoi, but I noticed the traffic lights in Hanoi have a countdown clock to when the red lights change? Never seen this before and probably a good indicator of how long you'll wait at a red light.
nowster
Treasurer

Re: Vietnamese traffic lights

Post by nowster »

Glenn A wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 09:56 Don't know if anyone saw this on the news about President Trump meeting Kim in Hanoi, but I noticed the traffic lights in Hanoi have a countdown clock to when the red lights change? Never seen this before and probably a good indicator of how long you'll wait at a red light.
Irish temporary (roadworks) traffic lights have, too.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

I've seen them in various countries - but it was a few years ago and I can't recall whether it was in eastern Europe or south America :?, also saw them on pedestrian crossings. They do give you a chance to relax if you know it's still 10/20s until the light are going to change, but they do also enable the boy racers to get away even quicker (to the next queue...).
Let it snow.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

You know you're on SABRE when the big news out of the Vietnamese summit is the detail of local traffic light design!

Seriously though, as has already been pointed out, the countdown thing is quite common on pedestrian signals in various places. Never seen them on the cars side of things, though.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

roadtester wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:03 You know you're on SABRE when the big news out of the Vietnamese summit is the detail of local traffic light design!

Seriously though, as has already been pointed out, the countdown thing is quite common on pedestrian signals in various places. Never seen them on the cars side of things, though.
Yes, didn't pay much attention to the politics, was more interested in the countdown clock at the red light.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

First of these I saw was in Canada about 1970. They became discredited because people would rush towards the end to get across before the red, misjudge it, and get hit by the intersecting traffic.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

WHBM wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 15:30 First of these I saw was in Canada about 1970. They became discredited because people would rush towards the end to get across before the red, misjudge it, and get hit by the intersecting traffic.
Which is also a good idea to convert the read-red/amber-green sequence in the UK to red-green. This will reduce the risk of "amber-gamblers" being hit by Jack-the-Lad who left half his tyres behind him once the red/amber changed to green.
bothar

Post by bothar »

nowster wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:37
Glenn A wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 09:56 Don't know if anyone saw this on the news about President Trump meeting Kim in Hanoi, but I noticed the traffic lights in Hanoi have a countdown clock to when the red lights change? Never seen this before and probably a good indicator of how long you'll wait at a red light.
Irish temporary (roadworks) traffic lights have, too.
In this example on the Garda twitter they had suggested that the truck driver turn them off when moving them around!
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368