Longest distance sign to Paris?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul237

Longest distance sign to Paris?

Post by Paul237 »

Here's mine to start:
https://goo.gl/maps/cfAtk2unpXD2

644 km (400 miles).

I'm sure someone will find a better one, though!
Ruperts Trooper

Re: Longest distance sign to Paris?

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

There's probably one at Halley 6 on Antartica!
Lifelong motorhead
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Or in one of the overseas departments.

One of my favorite RCS used to be just outside Amsterdam, which would have been 500km to Paris and a bit more to London.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Here you go. 710km on the A5/E25, Italy.

Have passed this sign en-route home from Milan. I forget if there are earlier ones.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 13:39 Here you go. 710km on the A5/E25, Italy.

Have passed this sign en-route home from Milan. I forget if there are earlier ones.
I didn't even think to check outside France!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Paul237 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 15:43
multiraider2 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 13:39 Here you go. 710km on the A5/E25, Italy.

On the way there I recall some big numbers on distance to Milan which were shown in France. But I can't seem to see those signs on GSV now.
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

multiraider2 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:45

On the way there I recall some big numbers on distance to Milan which were shown in France. But I can't seem to see those signs on GSV now.
That's useful how they put the country sticker after the place name. With the "CH" label I'm assuming Losanna is Italian for Lausanne, which I'd never guess without the CH. And putting it after Ginevra reminds me that it's Geneva not Geno(v)a.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 There's probably one at Halley 6 on Antartica!
Pretty certain that there was one on East Falkland around June of 1982.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Ambosc79 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 23:19

That's useful how they put the country sticker after the place name. With the "CH" label I'm assuming Losanna is Italian for Lausanne, which I'd never guess without the CH. And putting it after Ginevra reminds me that it's Geneva not Geno(v)a.
Indeed. Also Monte Bianco this side of the border rather than the usual French designation which is used in the English speaking world. The road goes through the 11.6 km Mont Blanc Tunnel of course and that and the fact that it is a Euro Route, I guess, results in the international flavour of the sign.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Here you go! - both Milan and Turin, signed on the A43 all the way from Lyon.

Milan is even signed from the A6/A40 interchange. See also here.

In turn, Lyon is also signposted from far away in northern France.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Owain wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 16:25

Here you go! - both Milan and Turin, signed on the A43 all the way from Lyon.

Milan is even signed from the A6/A40 interchange. See also here.

In turn, Lyon is also signposted from far away in northern France.
Thanks Owain. I was looking slighly too far away.
autismuk

Post by autismuk »

Paul237 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 Here's mine to start:
https://goo.gl/maps/cfAtk2unpXD2

644 km (400 miles).

I'm sure someone will find a better one, though!
I think from memory Paris is signposted on the A62 before you join the A20/N20 Northbound. I remember it because it's incredibly depressing if you're coming from Perpignan ; you've been going two hours and it's *how* far :(
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Ambosc79 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 23:19That's useful how they put the country sticker after the place name. With the "CH" label I'm assuming Losanna is Italian for Lausanne, which I'd never guess without the CH. And putting it after Ginevra reminds me that it's Geneva not Geno(v)a.
If you like them, there are plenty more! Here are some examples:

A32

A22

A4

A8 (the oldest motorway in Europe!)

And here are some temporary examples!

They tend to be used not so much to ensure that drivers can understand the Italian versions of the place names, but so that you know that the signed route will get you to that particular country.

On the strade statali (equivalent to our A-roads), I've even seen distance signs to the border ("confine dello stato"), although I'd have to do a bit of searching to remember where!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Owain wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 17:25 On the strade statali (equivalent to our A-roads), I've even seen distance signs to the border ("confine dello stato"), although I'd have to do a bit of searching to remember where!
IIRC equivalents of the 'confine dello stato' used to be relatively common in the form of either 'border', or a relatively small place the correct side of the border, as if Scotland signed 'Gretna' rather than 'Carlisle', a highways authorities equivalent 'here be dragons'
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Barcelona is on the RCS signs a long way back on the A75 but it is first signed at the A750 junction but there are no RCS's to after the next two junctions
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Meanwhile the UK thinks such signs are pointless and is removing or not putting them in to begin with in many places... :roll: :evil:

I like the long distance system France uses, it shows that the big roads are for strategic use...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 15:25 Meanwhile the UK thinks such signs are pointless and is removing or not putting them in to begin with in many places... :roll: :evil:

I like the long distance system France uses, it shows that the big roads are for strategic use...
Unlike Germany which tends to use city names rather than points of the compass for the end-points of various autobahns.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Vierwielen wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 16:55
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 15:25 Meanwhile the UK thinks such signs are pointless and is removing or not putting them in to begin with in many places... :roll: :evil:

Unlike Germany which tends to use city names rather than points of the compass for the end-points of various autobahns.
Similarly, Poland shows the nearest village to a national border as the ultimate destination on long-distance routes, even if that village consists of six houses and a church - meaning that, e.g. the village of Korczowa (pop. 660, at the Ukrainian border) is signposted on the eastbound A4 long before Kraków (pop. 770,000, the second-largest single city in Poland.)
Having said that, many signs do include a (PL) plate plus the plate of the neighbouring country, to indicate it's a national border.
JosephA22

Post by JosephA22 »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 20:40
Vierwielen wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 16:55

Similarly, Poland shows the nearest village to a national border as the ultimate destination on long-distance routes, even if that village consists of six houses and a church - meaning that, e.g. the village of Korczowa (pop. 660, at the Ukrainian border) is signposted on the eastbound A4 long before Kraków (pop. 770,000, the second-largest single city in Poland.)
Having said that, many signs do include a (PL) plate plus the plate of the neighbouring country, to indicate it's a national border.
This is changing, and the current rule is that on major cross-border routes instead of showing the border "village" as the furthest point they now show the closest significant city in the neighbouring country on that route. I don't know if they are doing that on existing routes as well as new roads, or will just replace the signs when they are life expired.

Showing border crossings as a major "destination" was sensible pre-Schengen, and still makes sense on the Eastern non-Schengen border, as you can be stuck there for a long time and will need to plan around it.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Found one at 835km near the Spanish border on the A15 towards San Sebastian/Donostia

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.10056 ... 312!8i6656