Longest distance sign to Paris?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Longest distance sign to Paris?

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 15:25 Meanwhile the UK thinks such signs are pointless and is removing or not putting them in to begin with in many places... :roll: :evil:

I like the long distance system France uses, it shows that the big roads are for strategic use...
So do I!

Next time I drive down the M1, I'll have a look to see how far down you need to be to get the distance to London shown on a sign. London is shown on directional signage almost from Leeds city centre, and for directional purposes it is shown again on approach to the M62. But I don't think any distance is indicated on any signage until south of the M6/A14. There is this oddity just before the M62, but no distance is shown.

Once south of the M62, there does not appear to be any distance signage at all until this sign, which is south of Wakefield; and even then, travellers to large/largish places like London, Luton, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Leicester, Nottingham or Derby have no idea how much further their journey will last!

Perhaps their rationale is that everybody will be using satnav?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Owain wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 17:19
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 15:25 Meanwhile the UK thinks such signs are pointless and is removing or not putting them in to begin with in many places... :roll: :evil:

I like the long distance system France uses, it shows that the big roads are for strategic use...
So do I!

Next time I drive down the M1, I'll have a look to see how far down you need to be to get the distance to London shown on a sign. London is shown on directional signage almost from Leeds city centre, and for directional purposes it is shown again on approach to the M62. But I don't think any distance is indicated on any signage until south of the M6/A14. There is this oddity just before the M62, but no distance is shown.

Once south of the M62, there does not appear to be any distance signage at all until this sign, which is south of Wakefield; and even then, travellers to large/largish places like London, Luton, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Leicester, Nottingham or Derby have no idea how much further their journey will last!

Which is quite frankly ridiculous as who needs a satnav to get from Leeds to London*? I know some people will use them for traffic info but there are plenty of people who quite validly wouldn't see the point of using them for such a journey.

*London in a broad sense. I can understand using one to find a specific location within London that you are not that sure about.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 01:21
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 There's probably one at Halley 6 on Antartica!
Pretty certain that there was one on East Falkland around June of 1982.
... but when I last checked, it was a little awkward to drive from the Falklands to France.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

trickstat wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 18:08
Owain wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 17:19

So do I!

Which is quite frankly ridiculous as who needs a satnav to get from Leeds to London*? I know some people will use them for traffic info but there are plenty of people who quite validly wouldn't see the point of using them for such a journey.

*London in a broad sense. I can understand using one to find a specific location within London that you are not that sure about.
I agree that using a satnav is ridiculous, but using the route map here (CRBD) or here (Wikipedia) and driver location signs enables one's passenger to quickly calculate the distance to the next services.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Found another, further distance this time along the same road 876km near Pamplona

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.84864 ... 312!8i6656
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Vierwielen wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 18:57
mikehindsonevans wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 01:21
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 There's probably one at Halley 6 on Antartica!
Pretty certain that there was one on East Falkland around June of 1982.
... but when I last checked, it was a little awkward to drive from the Falklands to France.
The question in the thread was "distance sign" not drivability :lol:
Mike
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 15:51 Found another, further distance this time along the same road 876km near Pamplona

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.84864 ... 312!8i6656
Interesting that Bordeaux and Bayonne have their Castillian names on there, but that Toulouse has all but replaced the historic 'Tolosa (de Francia)' and that Paris is spelled the French and not Castilian way (París) though to be fair the difference is in the mark over the 'i'
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 15:25 I like the long distance system France uses, it shows that the big roads are for strategic use...
Likewise. The signage on the M1 Northbound outwards from London is particularly poor and, beyond the very ambiguous ''The NORTH'' (Nantwich? Newcastle? Norway?), is reluctant to sign any town besides Luton. I would have Leicester as the main forward waypoint on the M1 in that area, being the first major urban area heading north.

Apparently London used to appear on an RCS at the western terminus of the M4 at Pont Abraham, but I can't confirm this.

Germane to the topic, there were a few signs to far-flung European destinations (London included) on E-road signs in Poland during the 1980s. Few, if any at all, survive today, but it wouldn't surprise me of Paris was one of them.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It was the Morriston Bypass that had the London sign. There was footage on YouTube once upon a time.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Owain wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 17:19 ..There is this oddity just before the M62, but no distance is shown.
And this one
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

JohnnyMo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 20:54
Owain wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 17:19 ..There is this oddity just before the M62, but no distance is shown.
And this one
Not on topic, but I imagine the lack of distance to the Old Smoke can be attributed to the fact that heading straight down the M1 from Aberford isn't the fastest route there, its A1-M18-M1.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
owen b

Post by owen b »

Osthagen wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 19:28 The signage on the M1 Northbound outwards from London is particularly poor and, beyond the very ambiguous ''The NORTH'' (Nantwich? Newcastle? Norway?), is reluctant to sign any town besides Luton. I would have Leicester as the main forward waypoint on the M1 in that area, being the first major urban area heading north.
:o Luton has a population over 210,000 and a major airport. I'd call it a major urban area. Milton Keynes and Northampton are both over 200,000, and I'd count them as major urban areas also.
Owen
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

owen b wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 18:26
Osthagen wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 19:28 The signage on the M1 Northbound outwards from London is particularly poor and, beyond the very ambiguous ''The NORTH'' (Nantwich? Newcastle? Norway?), is reluctant to sign any town besides Luton. I would have Leicester as the main forward waypoint on the M1 in that area, being the first major urban area heading north.
:o Luton has a population over 210,000 and a major airport. I'd call it a major urban area. Milton Keynes and Northampton are both over 200,000, and I'd count them as major urban areas also.
Sorry. I wasn't saying that these locations shouldn't be signed, but Leicester has a population that exceeds 300,000 and is at least 90 miles up the M1 from the M25, and gives drivers a good impression of where the road goes beyond the South East. As such, it would be appropriate to sign Leicester northwards from London.
- Richard Nixon
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Osthagen wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 19:18
Sorry. I wasn't saying that these locations shouldn't be signed, but Leicester has a population that exceeds 300,000 and is at least 90 miles up the M1 from the M25, and gives drivers a good impression of where the road goes beyond the South East. As such, it would be appropriate to sign Leicester northwards from London.
Leicester is signed from the M1/M6 diverge, The NORTH being signed from London is completely appropriate, along with the next primary destination(s) as is the case across the whole network :confused:
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?

From the SABRE Wiki: Primary Destinations :

Primary Destinations are the key target destinations (technically, "places of major traffic importance") within the United Kingdom that are shown on direction signs along major roads such as Motorways and Primary Routes. These destinations are important key points and are used in combination with local place names that are defined by each local Highway Authority. Primary destinations will appear above local destinations on direction signs due to a furthest first rule in the

... Read More
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

JohnnyMo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 Or in one of the overseas departments.

One of my favorite RCS used to be just outside Amsterdam, which would have been 500km to Paris and a bit more to London.
I remember that one as well . At some point before the Belgian border, one took an off-ramp to London (bypassing Antwerp via the Schelde tunnels) or one continued straight on ahead skirting the eastern side of Antwerp. Last time that I checked for the signs, they seem to have disappeared.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Osthagen wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 19:28Apparently London used to appear on an RCS at the western terminus of the M4 at Pont Abraham, but I can't confirm this.
Bryn666 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 20:45 It was the Morriston Bypass that had the London sign. There was footage on YouTube once upon a time.
It's still on Youtube.
Attachments
1.jpg
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Like Leicester, Luton, Milton Keynes, and Northampton all have universities too!

Leicester (the city, not the university) might be older and larger, but that doesn't necessarily make it more important. It's also a lot further out from London than any of those other locations.

Viva la Repubblica!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Owain wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 Like Leicester, Luton, Milton Keynes, and Northampton all have universities too!

Leicester (the city, not the university) might be older and larger, but that doesn't necessarily make it more important. It's also a lot further out from London than any of those other locations.
True, and I reckon that all 4 should appear on the RCS signage, though Leicester is the slap-bang halfway point between the two termini of the M1, being 100 miles from both London and Leeds.

Milton Keynes or Northampton don't appear on the M1 out of London until you've traveled quite some distance.
- Richard Nixon
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Osthagen wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:26
Owain wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 Like Leicester, Luton, Milton Keynes, and Northampton all have universities too!

True, and I reckon that all 4 should appear on the RCS signage, though Leicester is the slap-bang halfway point between the two termini of the M1, being 100 miles from both London and Leeds.

Milton Keynes or Northampton don't appear on the M1 out of London until you've traveled quite some distance.
By that reckoning, Leicester should also be shown on the M1's signage from Leeds, but it isn't.

I agree with the principle that on a route like the M1, larger settlements should be signed from further away - and distances shown for London throughout - but I don't see why Leicester should be singled out for special treatment.

(... even if it does happen to be my own most frequent destination along the M1, after London! For most traffic, it won't be.)

Viva la Repubblica!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Well there is this one at the end of the Alaskan Highway at Delta Junction.
On the other side are distances to European cities

<Edit added explanatory note>
Attachments
Delta Alaska.jpg