[CY] Cyprus advertises contract for next leg of Limassol-Troodos motorway

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

J N Winkler

[CY] Cyprus advertises contract for next leg of Limassol-Troodos motorway

Post by J N Winkler »

Contract documents (including construction plans)

As an aside, I was under the impression Cyprus drove on the right until I looked at the horizontal alignment plans and realized the little arrows inside the lane lines (indicating the direction of traffic) were on the left rather than the right. This has to be a very unusual way to discover a country drives on the left.
Interbellum odological notables (I) | Piero Puricelli · Giovanni Giuriati · Italo Vandone · Pio Calletti · Pietro Crespi
yen_powell

Re: [CY] Cyprus advertises contract for next leg of Limassol-Troodos motorway

Post by yen_powell »

J N Winkler wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 17:39 Contract documents (including construction plans)

As an aside, I was under the impression Cyprus drove on the right until I looked at the horizontal alignment plans and realized the little arrows inside the lane lines (indicating the direction of traffic) were on the left rather than the right. This has to be a very unusual way to discover a country drives on the left.
On pot holed roads they use whichever side is smoothest, which can be a bit alarming when they are coming towards you.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The download speed is extremely slow. I will try again when I have more time.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

J N Winkler wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 17:39 Contract documents (including construction plans)

Cyprus, Malta, Ireland and the UK are the keep left quartet in Europe.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Euan

Post by Euan »

Am I right in thinking that the motorway will roughly follow the route of the B8? If so then I would imagine that some of the more upland parts of the route might be a bit difficult to construct given the mountainous terrain of the area.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
J N Winkler

Post by J N Winkler »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 19:46The download speed is extremely slow. I will try again when I have more time.
It might be a weekend thing. I downloaded Friday night (my time, six hours behind UK time), and had no trouble although the packets were crossing the Atlantic. However, all of my programs for handling compressed archives were about a decade old and spat out errors with these RARs. I had to upgrade 7zip (free) to get them to open. (I had previously had this problem with RARs containing Chinese expressway plans, but assumed--incorrectly, it turns out--that those were dirty downloads, because the error messages imply the files are corrupt when that is not the case.)
Euan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 22:20Am I right in thinking that the motorway will roughly follow the route of the B8? If so then I would imagine that some of the more upland parts of the route might be a bit difficult to construct given the mountainous terrain of the area.
Yes, it is an upgrade of the B8. In fact, I think it is the exact improvement the Wikipedia article says "should start by 2014." I attribute the delay to cashflow problems, given that Cyprus went through its own version of the Greek debt crisis. This project covers about 4 km on the fringes of Limassol and it doesn't look to me like it involves a lot of cutting and filling, such as one would expect further north along the current B8.
Interbellum odological notables (I) | Piero Puricelli · Giovanni Giuriati · Italo Vandone · Pio Calletti · Pietro Crespi