[USA] I-255 Missouri, Jefferson Barracks Bridge Closure

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ScottB5411

[USA] I-255 Missouri, Jefferson Barracks Bridge Closure

Post by ScottB5411 »

A major arterial route in Missouri and Illinois has been closed due to structural defects being found on the westbound span across the Mississippi river on routine checks, no date set yet for re-opening.

I live off Lemay Ferry road less than a mile from this bridge and my wife says its causing chaos downtown. The traffic screenshot shows the level of disaster this 1 bridge closure is causing, even as far north as Alton, IL. The JBB is the most southern bridge in the St Louis area, the next bridge farther south is at Chester, IL some way down the river
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Truvelo

Re: [USA] I-255 Missouri, Jefferson Barracks Bridge Closure

Post by Truvelo »

Looking at the traffic now shows all the bridges as green. I suspect they will turn red again during the evening rush hour but perhaps not as bad as in the morning as eastbound traffic is unaffected.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

My wife has some kids who go to her school that live on the Illinois side, it took them nearly 2 hours to get to school yesterday instead of the normal 10 minutes
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

ScottB5411 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 13:21 My wife has some kids who go to her school that live on the Illinois side, it took them nearly 2 hours to get to school yesterday instead of the normal 10 minutes
That, if anything, demonstrates the level of road dependence the USA is now at. Even public transport is mostly road based, meaning such closures equal misery for everyone.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

If forgot to post the news article along with my OP :laugh: :facepalm:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltod ... f.amp.html

It's not really an old bridge in the grand scheme of things either

**note, a VPN service may be required to view the article**
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

ScottB5411 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 13:43 If forgot to post the news article along with my OP :laugh: :facepalm:

GDPR blocked: "451: Unavailable due to legal reasons"
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

I am quoting a different website here:
ST. LOUIS, Mo. - MoDOT crews have nearly completed an in-depth inspection of the I-255 bridges across the Mississippi River, better known as the Jefferson Barracks Bridge, but it is still uncertain when they will be able to determine that the bridge is safe and reopen it.

On Sunday, a routine inspection found a six-foot crack under the weld of a critical portion of the bridge’s structure, closing the westbound lanes. Further inspections found additional cracks in other spots of the westbound bridge, but none as severe as the initial crack.

MoDOT hopes to know more by Thursday after they receive the result of an extensive lab test on the portion of the bridge where cracks were discovered. After that, they will be able to determine if they will be able to reopen the bridge, or will have to look at constructing a cross-over to move one lane of westbound I-255 to the eastbound bridge.

I-255 commuters heading from Illinois to Missouri will need to continue to use alternative routes. It is recommended that drivers get onto the interstate system as soon as possible and use all Mississippi River crossings between Illinois and Missouri, or, if possible, use MetroLink. IDOT has also increased staff on hand to update signs and adjust signal timing.
Thanks Paul
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

nowster wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 14:07
ScottB5411 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 13:43 If forgot to post the news article along with my OP :laugh: :facepalm:

You can often get around it by selecting Cached when using a search engine.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Update: 2 lanes will be re-opened for Friday morning rush hour on the westbound lanes, with one lane remaining open the rest of the time

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/ill ... op-story-2

(VPN may be needed to view full story)
Two westbound lanes of the Jefferson Barracks Bridge across the Mississippi River will reopen by the Friday morning rush hour, transportation officials said Thursday.

The lanes will remain open on weekday mornings while repairs to the span are completed.

The westbound span of the bridge was closed Sunday after Missouri Department of Transportation inspectors found cracks in steel beams during a routine check. On Wednesday, officials said they were waiting on lab tests on a cracked portion of the bridge before determining when — or if — the bridge could be reopened. The department received the test results Thursday. 

Officials now say the bridge will undergo repairs while two westbound lanes are reopened to traffic. Officials expect to keep the lanes open between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. on weekdays beginning Friday. One lane will remain open the rest of the time. Oversize and overweight loads won't be able to use the bridge until the repairs are completed. 

Reopening of the lanes is likely to ease traffic congestion along routes to alternative bridges across the Mississippi River.

Both Missouri and Illinois transportation officials had encouraged motorists to use public transportation or take alternative driving routes after the bridge closed, but the pace of traffic on those routes remained a challenge. 

MoDOT officials said Wednesday that the department is awarding an emergency contract to a private company to help make needed repairs. Two private companies have been working with officials from Missouri and Illinois’ transportation departments on the bridge inspection and repairs. 

Workers have also put a new seal on the westbound span’s driving surface since the bridge's closure Sunday. 

About 60,000 vehicles a day typically use the bridge, MoDOT says, with about half driving westward.

MoDOT officials say emergency work was last done in 2011 on both the bridge’s westbound and eastbound spans. That included repairing or replacing some vertical support cables and replacing lateral bracing underneath the driving deck.
It is good to see that they took the opportunity to seal the road surface whilst the bridge is closed, a good example of forward thinking and is something quite often lacking in the UK (eg road is resurfaced and 2 weeks later is being dug up by the gas company)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 13:36 That, if anything, demonstrates the level of road dependence the USA is now at. Even public transport is mostly road based, meaning such closures equal misery for everyone.
Which isn't much different from here, I remember the mess when the Thelwall Viaduct was being fixed. After the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis they are being much more cautious about these things and we all know the results when they have to close the Dartford Bridge. Local to me closing the Tees Viaduct causes traffic backups for miles and most of our public transport is road based.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

nowster wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 14:07

Get a copy of the Tor browser