Dubai bus crash

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

bothar

Dubai bus crash

Post by bothar »

In Ireland, there is some coverage of a Dubai bus crash, as an Irish woman teaching there was killed.

Reports suggest that a bus went on a "car-only" road leading to a multi-storey car park at the airport. When presented with a large low sign the bus swerved and like the Titanic ripped open its side, killing those sitting at the window.

This is probably the split in the road
Clearly, the driver was at fault.
However, there is a case for a low impact barrier to be placed before the hard one on a road like this. If you had a variation on a piece of paper stretched across the road and a camera, then fine and ban anyone who crashes into that. It would still stop people hitting the harder barrier.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
sydneynick

Re: Dubai bus crash

Post by sydneynick »

Yes, the driver was at fault, but there is an advance warning in that the bus must have hit the warning sign shown in the Streetview.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I see the bus would have been heading west and the accident happened at 17.40 - potentially an issue with low sun making signs hanging above the road difficult to see. They're hard enough to see in Streetview where the sun is quite low.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

Even so, you would think there was a fair amount of noise as the top of the bus hit the warning sign.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
A181

Post by A181 »

Go further back in StreetView and there is a separate lane for buses - veering off to the right
mubd1234

Post by mubd1234 »

That structure there is ridiculous. It does not take a rocket scientist to work out that having a solid horizontal beam in the middle of the road is a recipe for disaster, especially if it's a limited access road like that. It looks to me that the solid beam is placed so close to that dangling maximum clearance sign that it would not give the driver the opportunity to stop!
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

sydneynick wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 06:56 Even so, you would think there was a fair amount of noise as the top of the bus hit the warning sign.
Hitting the sign would be very little warning to avoid hitting the beam.

The whole layout seems badly thought out. The four-lane road is coming from a massive GSJ and there's less than 300m between a 2+2 merge and diverging where traffic has to get into the correct lanes. Even with a reduced speed limit, yellow bar markings and a speed hump right on the diverge there is a possibility of traffic approaching at excess speed and being in the wrong lane.
The position of the height restriction beam doesn't give time to stop after hitting the sign if travelling faster than very slow and the protruding end of the beam is unforgiving to any errant vehicle that hits it (as demonstrated in this accident).