US Equivalent of Motorway Regulations?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

sydneynick

Re: US Equivalent of Motorway Regulations?

Post by sydneynick »

Gav wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 16:16
sydneynick wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 23:23 Actually, I suspect that the UK is unusual in having a special set of rules that apply automatically when you pass a chopsticks sign. Australia has largely given up using chopsticks signs, and this insignificant sign is typical.
See above go on from that and you have a traffic light junction in the middle of the motorway !

https://goo.gl/maps/2TDAbTReXbeUsjJCA
It is in a motorway that is under construction. The M1 used to end here, and there were no traffic lights at this location. Construction is under way on the North Connex, linking the M1 to the M7. I think the lights are to allow construction vehicles to cross the motorway.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
James

Post by James »

sydneynick wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 23:23 Actually, I suspect that the UK is unusual in having a special set of rules that apply automatically when you pass a chopsticks sign. Australia has largely given up using chopsticks signs, and this insignificant sign is typical.
I did spot this a few years ago, but think its gone now
https://goo.gl/maps/LhYGFhwe3ro93WWz8
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

There are several examples in the UK of traffic signals on Motorway-class roads, such as at M-to-M roundabouts, or at tunnel entrances (normally dark).

I remember a good while ago travelling from Vancouver BC to Seattle when the existing D2 US 99 was being upgraded, normally in-situ, to I-5. It was a whole mix of complete, in hand, and not started freeflow. You would pass a "start Freeway" sign, and not have realised you had not been on one. I think the only indication of an end was just a US 99 marker. Miss that and you would come across a traffic signal or some frontages.