UK to Switzerland

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AutomaticBeloved

Re: UK to Switzerland

Post by AutomaticBeloved »

exiled wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36
owen b wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 22:40
Fenlander wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 22:18 That’ll be their national anthem.
:shock: You're kidding. Worst national anthem in the world, a slow, plodding dirge.
Oh, there are worse!
Star Spangled Banner?
AutomaticBeloved

Post by AutomaticBeloved »

Steven wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 08:36
AutomaticBeloved wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 09:03 I'm going to break my journey each way with an overnight stop at/near Reims
One more thing - if you're breaking the journey at Reims, then I highly recommend you take a trip out onto the D27 Thillois - Gueux road to the north of the city. Preferably in the light! Then once you've done that, back to the N31 via the D26.
Having looked at that on street view - that looks like a great idea :)
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

AutomaticBeloved wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 13:53
exiled wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36
owen b wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 22:40
:shock: You're kidding. Worst national anthem in the world, a slow, plodding dirge.
Oh, there are worse!
Star Spangled Banner?
The Star Spangled Banner is a great tune, but not good for communal singing - its range is too wide for that (a perfect twelfth, or an octave and a fifth). This is why it is often sung by a solo singer with the crowd standing silently.

God Save the Queen (King sometime in the none too distant future, surely?) is, OTOH, ideal for communal singing, with a range of a minor seventh only. With that in mind, I deplore the practice of having a solo singer to lead it. We used to manage perfectly well with just the band playing it and everyone singing along. It's also only seven lines long (assuming only the first verse is sung, as is usual), and these are all short, so it shouldn't try anyone's patience. TSSB is quite significantly longer.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

ChrisH wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 08:22 I've done this drive a lot of times and my biggest piece of advice is to try and avoid the French A26. Nothing wrong with it but it is entirely featureless for about 300 miles from Calais until you get to the foothills of the Jura or Vosges around Dijon. There used to be a moment of excitement driving through Reims but even that has been bypassed now.

Switzerland itself is stunningly beautiful to drive around in the mountain areas. I can recommend Route 11 from Aigle to Spiez with a stop in Gstaad. And all the passes around Sustenpass etc. are fantastic.
I drove northwards along the A26 a few years ago for the first time, what boring landscape, even around the Champagne region, which for some reason I thought would be of interest!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

roadtester wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 09:07 When I go to Geneva, I go via Luxembourg. Routing this way avoids all the tolled autoroutes and lets you fill up with (very) cheaply in Lux.

Probably works for most Swiss destinations in one form or another.

Although it is a bit further!
If you use this route, the shortest non-toll road is the A5 autobahn that runs parallel to the Rhine. When I travelled this road many years ago, the corrugations were awful (though maybe the Germans have fixed that by now).
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

I remember a car journey from near Dundee to near Basel in Switzerland (although the location was in France) in 1980. Came off M6 at junction 4, down on A-roads to Southampton and spent the night there. Along the coast to Newhaven and ferry to Dieppe. Spent night at Beauvais, north of Paris. Joined A4 near Reims and travelled near Metz and Strasbourg down to near Mulhouse. Return journey fairly similar but night at Reims rather Beauvais. So, two overnight stops each way but it was nearly 40 years ago.
mattling

Post by mattling »

I've often come off the A4 at Chalons-en-Champagne and taking the N4 to St Dizier and the N67 to Chaumont and then rejoin the A5. It's a much prettier route than the motorway and a good fast road with plenty of dual carriageway, and will save you about 12 euros in tolls.