European road markings

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Octaviadriver

Re: European road markings

Post by Octaviadriver »

Owain wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:14 I am still a fugitive in Slovenia after driving on a motorway without realising that a vignette was required. I assumed the signs showing the image of a camera were to remind people to obey the speed limit (how English of me!). It turned out that they were warning drivers about cameras like this, through which I passed on my way back to Italy. Ooops .... it's a good job there wasn't a barrier!

It was a day of general numptiness. First, I managed to put a ticket machine out of operation by accidentally inserting my parking ticket into the credit card slot and jamming it up (the instructions were in Slovenian only, without translation into any other European language). The machine fined me €15 for 'losing' my ticket, which I paid in cash because the credit card slot was .... er, jammed up with a parking ticket.

Then I drove to Croatia by mistake.

Croazia per incidente!.jpg

It was on my return to Italy across the narrow part of Slovenia that I committed the vignette transgression. I'd had no intention of driving on any motorways, but unwittingly followed a sign for Trieste that look me onto the A1 for a short distance. Since that day of destruction, I've never been back to either Slovenia or Croatia, but they both looked like very pleasant countries well worth returning to (in a different car).
We went to the Istria region in Croatia by car in 2010, driving a short distance through Slovenia from Trieste to get there. We visited a number of countries on the way, so I'd checked to see which countries had tolls, vignettes, etc to avoid any problems. As Owain mentions, you need a Vignette to go on the A1 past Koper, so we avoided paying for a vignette for a few miles and drove on the old road through Koper. It's a more interesting road than the A1 anyway, seeing the town and the countryside around. The current price of a vignette for a week is €15.00 and I'd have needed 2 as we stayed in Croatia for longer and the length of A1 we'd have used was less than 4 miles.