Trumpety trumpets

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Trumpety trumpets

Post by ChrisH »

The double trumpet is quite a common interchange in many countries, especially when one road is a tolled motorway as it only requires one set of toll booths and two bridges to give freeflow interchange between the two roads.

I think this complex in Portugal wins the contest of the most trumpets in one area: four and a half, although one isn't yet in use.

Can anyone find more trumpets in one junction complex?
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Re: Trumpety trumpets

Post by M4Simon »

ChrisH wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 15:38 The double trumpet is quite a common interchange in many countries, especially when one road is a tolled motorway as it only requires one set of toll booths and two bridges to give freeflow interchange between the two roads.

I think this complex in Portugal wins the contest of the most trumpets in one area: four and a half, although one isn't yet in use.

That makes my head spin. What's it going to look like when complete?

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

It looks like the typical sort of mess when new roads have been added piecemeal over the years.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Interesting story behind why the A26 was never finished https://translate.google.com/translate? ... toestrada)
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
jervi

Post by jervi »

I had a look at the junction on google earth only a week ago when measuring the E 01 (I was really bored).
I did spend a while trying to work out what all the movements were, and why a seemingly low traffic IP was getting a whole new motorway, but I guess that's just how they do thing on the continent.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ChrisH wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 15:38 The double trumpet is quite a common interchange in many countries, especially when one road is a tolled motorway as it only requires one set of toll booths and two bridges to give freeflow interchange between the two roads.[...]

This is a great idea for a thread! Now if only I could think of a country where .... :scratchchin:

A4 Castelfranco Veneto.png
A4 Verona.png
A4-A27 Venezia.png
Last edited by Owain on Sat Sep 05, 2020 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A1-A21 Piacenza.png
A1-SS675 Orte.png
A1 Napoli.png

Viva la Repubblica!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A4-exSS47 Padova.png
A14-SS3bis Cesena.png
SS131-SS293 Sardegna.png
(I remember this one being built!)

Viva la Repubblica!
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

Owain wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 19:01 A4-exSS47 Padova.png

A14-SS3bis Cesena.png

SS131-SS293 Sardegna.png
(I remember this one being built!)
More trumpets than the Royal Philharmonic. I love it!
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 22:40 Interesting story behind why the A26 was never finished https://translate.google.com/translate? ... toestrada)
If even the Portuguese think the traffic volumes are too low for a motorway then it really will be deserted. Some of their motorway sections have 10000 vehicles per day and as a result are very nice to drive on!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

We came close to getting one in 1995 if you count the one at the top of the map as a trumpet bolted onto an existing one.

Big and complex.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 We came close to getting one in 1995 if you count the one at the top of the map as a trumpet bolted onto an existing one.

How and why did that junction end up with such a strange layout? I assume there was some kind of constraint preventing construction of a more regular design. Same really for Bullington Cross.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 18:15 How and why did that junction end up with such a strange layout? I assume there was some kind of constraint preventing construction of a more regular design. Same really for Bullington Cross.
The northwest side of the junction is hilly which would require a very deep cutting and there's also a group of houses. However, it's one junction where the obvious solution is to build a trumpet at the other end of the slip road like those on toll roads.
Big and complex.
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

Here is a late entry by Turkey, around the new Istanbul airport.

Trumpets
jackal

Post by jackal »

ChrisH wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:59 Here is a late entry by Turkey, around the new Istanbul airport.

Trumpets
How did they think that was cost effective??
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 18:32
M4 Cardiff wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 18:15 How and why did that junction end up with such a strange layout? I assume there was some kind of constraint preventing construction of a more regular design. Same really for Bullington Cross.
There's only one none free flow movement through isn't there A303 East to A36 south
The northwest side of the junction is hilly which would require a very deep cutting and there's also a group of houses. However, it's one junction where the obvious solution is to build a trumpet at the other end of the slip road like those on toll roads.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
booshank

Post by booshank »

jackal wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 13:23
ChrisH wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:59 Here is a late entry by Turkey, around the new Istanbul airport.

Trumpets
How did they think that was cost effective??
Seems a reasonable way to connect a one way loop around the terminal to two parallel roads.
jackal

Post by jackal »

But look at the redundancy in the surrounding network.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 18:15
Truvelo wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 We came close to getting one in 1995 if you count the one at the top of the map as a trumpet bolted onto an existing one.

How and why did that junction end up with such a strange layout? I assume there was some kind of constraint preventing construction of a more regular design. Same really for Bullington Cross.
Bullington Cross - and the Sutton Scotney bypass - was in my area in 1981. The main over bridge, carrying the A303 east-west above the North-South A34, was developed offline to the west, to align better with the new Sutton Scotney (and Worthy Down) bypass which ran further west than the original alignment.

I do agree the layout is suboptimal given current traffic on the "M34". Hurtling northbound on the A34, many drivers instinctively move right as we enter the "dip" under the A303. The on-ramp northbound really should be a crawler lane to the top of the hill - and this is a piece of the A34 that only celebrates its 40th birthday in the next year or so.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

The title of this discussion gave me a fright! Initially I thought that it might have something to do with the US election.