History of Singapore Expressways

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M19

History of Singapore Expressways

Post by M19 »

I stumbled across the Remember Singapore website last night which stole the rest of my evening, as I used to live there for 9 months when I was 9 years old. Of the many articles I read last night I found this one about the Singapore Expressway network.

When I lived there I remember that the East Coast Parkway and Pan Island Expressway were built. I also remember going over the Benjamin Shears Bridge, which had opened the same year I arrived.

Even at that time, other main roads across the city were mainly dual carriageways with quite a consistent hierarchy of standards. They were all, and still are very well landscaped, demonstrating that roads that carry huge amounts of traffic do not have to be ugly. I’ve loved the concept of boulevards and avenues ever since.

Although owning a car and driving have become eye wateringly expensive to manage demand, an eleventh expressway - the North South Expressway is being built. This does underline a point that whilst you can’t build your way out of congestion, it’s not a reason not to build new roads. This, alongside an extensive metro and public transport system.

Contrasts massively with the political approach of many UK Councils, hoping that traffic will evaporate by taking away road space, which doesn’t work very well in absence of any real alternatives.

https://remembersingapore.org/2018/04/2 ... s-history/

Hope you enjoy.
M19
bothar

Re: History of Singapore Expressways

Post by bothar »

I've been many times in SIngapore over an almost 30 year period. I would have been there this year, but did not go for obvious reasons. The landscaping is a notable features and of course in the tropical climate there are many suitable plants for this purpose. I'm not sure who looks after it all, probably those immigrant workers who had the Covid.

On an aside, Singaporeans cannot easily travel either, so the Straits Times has published a Singapore driving route for those that want to keep the motor in good shape and who cannot do the usual drive in Malaysia. I wouldn't be inclined to speed though, that might end your driving.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

I certainly enjoyed reading that article too! I've been fascinated by Singapore's expressways since my only visit there around 2004. Only a couple of weeks, for work, but I did get the opportunity to travel in my spare time, and even drive.

The two things that most got my attention were (a) the consistent 3-letter naming and (b) the landscaping. The tropical vegetation there is luxuriant, and some overpasses are virtually covered in green leaves and brightly coloured flowers. Not out-of-control: carefully cultivated.

Design and technical standards are high, and not skimped. Roundabouts are almost absent (phew!), despite the strong English past connection. Service interchanges are signalised - mainly diamonds and SPUIs; while system interchanges are freeflow.

I think SG is a great example of sensible road provision, with no detriment to the use of public transport. In practical terms there are many constraints on construction (topology, and dense urbanisation), but in their favour is the island's compactness. The total expressway length is miniscule by international standards. A thing that surprises me is that there are only two road crossings of the strait into Malaysia.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Peter Freeman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 23:35 I certainly enjoyed reading that article too! I've been fascinated by Singapore's expressways since my only visit there around 2004. Only a couple of weeks, for work, but I did get the opportunity to travel in my spare time, and even drive.

The two things that most got my attention were (a) the consistent 3-letter naming and (b) the landscaping. The tropical vegetation there is luxuriant, and some overpasses are virtually covered in green leaves and brightly coloured flowers. Not out-of-control: carefully cultivated.

Design and technical standards are high, and not skimped. Roundabouts are almost absent (phew!), despite the strong English past connection. Service interchanges are signalised - mainly diamonds and SPUIs; while system interchanges are freeflow.

I think SG is a great example of sensible road provision, with no detriment to the use of public transport. In practical terms there are many constraints on construction (topology, and dense urbanisation), but in their favour is the island's compactness. The total expressway length is miniscule by international standards. A thing that surprises me is that there are only two road crossings of the strait into Malaysia.
Note that Singapore has had a road pricing system for many years to deter private motorists from driving into the Central Business District combined with a first class public transport system. This charges motorists every time they enter the central zone rather than a once per day charge and evading the charge carries a heavy fine. Parking is not cheap either.
http://www.environmentportal.in/files/E ... essons.pdf

As for the North South Expressway , more correctly North South Corridor, this is not a system intended to entice commuters to drive into the city centre. There are two major reasons it is being built.

1) To connect the international border crossing to the East West Expressway.
2) To facilitate the daily flood of migrant workers from Malaysia into Singapore, it has dedicated express bus lanes and cycle paths.

Singapore has quite stringent checks on its borders with Malaysia for security reasons and to prevent illegal immigration. There was originally only the Woodlands Crossing at Johor Bahtu but with the growth of the industrial centres at Jurong, Benoi and Boon Lay the Tuas Crossing was opened in 1998.

If anything the rapid and continued expansion of the MRT rapid transit system is more impressive than the new roads. I was working out there in 1988 when the first sections of the MRT were opening. As someone used to the London Underground I was very impressed by this modern, clean air conditioned system. It has expanded hugely since then and continues to do so. In addition to the North South Corridor a new MRT line to the Woodlands Crossing is under construction and is planned to open in 2021. This will be the main mass transit route to the Central Business District.
jackal

Post by jackal »

While Singapore certainly does prefer signalised interchanges such as SPUIs they do sometimes use roundabouts, including at least one stackabout:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@1.322748 ... 514,18.54z
booshank

Post by booshank »

Very interesting. They certainly look beautifully landscaped. Having a climate like that with abundant warmth and rain year round helps to keep plants growing and flowering at all times, and I guess all the rain will tend to wash away the usual city dust and grime too. But it must also be pretty labour intensive.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

booshank wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 14:28 Very interesting. They certainly look beautifully landscaped. Having a climate like that with abundant warmth and rain year round helps to keep plants growing and flowering at all times, and I guess all the rain will tend to wash away the usual city dust and grime too. But it must also be pretty labour intensive.
Sorry I don't follow - what must be very labour intensive ?

The reality is that Singapore is densely populated. A shop or takeaway is required by law to keep its stretch of frontage clean and tidy, failing to so can lead to heavy fines, worse people will avoid using it.

https://www.goabroad.com/articles/study ... d%20%24300.

Littering fines in Singapore
First offence a fine up to $2,000
On second conviction a fine up to $4,000
Third or subsequent conviction a fine of up to $10,000
booshank

Post by booshank »

KeithW wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 15:17
booshank wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 14:28 Very interesting. They certainly look beautifully landscaped. Having a climate like that with abundant warmth and rain year round helps to keep plants growing and flowering at all times, and I guess all the rain will tend to wash away the usual city dust and grime too. But it must also be pretty labour intensive.
Sorry I don't follow - what must be very labour intensive ?

The reality is that Singapore is densely populated. A shop or takeaway is required by law to keep its stretch of frontage clean and tidy, failing to so can lead to heavy fines, worse people will avoid using it.

https://www.goabroad.com/articles/study ... d%20%24300.

Littering fines in Singapore
First offence a fine up to $2,000
On second conviction a fine up to $4,000
Third or subsequent conviction a fine of up to $10,000
I mean keeping all the plants and trees in good shape, trimmed etc.