Faroe Islands roads

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

exiled
President

Re: Faroe Islands roads

Post by exiled »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 13:21
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:03
FosseWay wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 09:54
You don't *have* to fly, of course. Leaving aside covid, I could get to the Faroes from here by driving about 70 km (20 here and 50 in Denmark), via the Göteborg-Frederikshavn ferry, to Hirtshals and getting the Iceland ferry, which calls at Tórshavn. But yes, the energy barrier is considerably higher, especially if you're not already in Scandinavia. It's unfortunate that that ferry no longer calls at Thurso and Lerwick. Possibly the service will be resurrected in the context of people actively choosing to avoid flying for both environmental and disease reasons.
Hmm, is marine travel actually any better from that PoV?
Environmental - I don't know. It depends most on the source of the fuel for the ferry, I guess, although part of the problem with flying is *where* the emissions take place, i.e. high in the atmosphere.

Covid-related - if you get a ferry you can sit in isolation in your car while waiting to board, and then either spend the voyage on deck or in your cabin and away from others to a far greater extent than you can manage in an airport or on a plane. But it hardly counts as isolation either way.
The ferry could be 'interesting', given the Aberdeen - Lerwick ferry has a reputation of being a rough crossing and is a fraction of the journey to Tórshavn, or even Seyðisfjörður.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 09:54
You don't *have* to fly, of course. Leaving aside covid, I could get to the Faroes from here by driving about 70 km (20 here and 50 in Denmark), via the Göteborg-Frederikshavn ferry, to Hirtshals and getting the Iceland ferry, which calls at Tórshavn.
Just looking up the ferry, as I was wondering how long a crossing, how nice a ship etc. And it seems that right now you can't do that, as it isn't running until March (not sure if this is just a COVID thing or if it's for refit of the vessel?)
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

56 hours from Hirtshals to Seyðisfjörður IIRC.

According to Nordjyllands tourism website, the Iceland ferry goes all year round, once a week, with some extra sailings in high season. So I imagine if there are no sailings at the moment, it will be a covid thing.

Looking on Smyril Line's own website I see that it appears to be impossible to select a departure date until March, but strangely there is nothing elsewhere on the site about this.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 16:15 56 hours from Hirtshals to Seyðisfjörður IIRC.

According to Nordjyllands tourism website, the Iceland ferry goes all year round, once a week, with some extra sailings in high season. So I imagine if there are no sailings at the moment, it will be a covid thing.

Looking on Smyril Line's own website I see that it appears to be impossible to select a departure date until March, but strangely there is nothing elsewhere on the site about this.
I was having quite a long look at the ferry site the other day for fantasy post-COVID travel possibilities. Quite attracted to the idea of doing the trip. Also a bit out of the mainstream so probably quite good bragging rights too.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

roadtester wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 16:27 I was having quite a long look at the ferry site the other day for fantasy post-COVID travel possibilities. Quite attracted to the idea of doing the trip. Also a bit out of the mainstream so probably quite good bragging rights too.
It's been on my radar for a while as well, especially given how close the Danish ferry terminal is to me. On the other hand, I don't know how useful it would be to take my own car to Iceland. If you want to get off the beaten track you really need something more suitable than an ageing Mondeo estate with a tendency to ground at both ends simultaneously on bumpy roads. But if you take your own car on a journey like that - which I imagine is not cheap - you are unlikely to choose then to hire a 4x4 as well.

Taking the car to the Faroes though might be more suitable. I can't imagine there's a huge amount of public transport on such sparsely populated islands, but then again if they can afford to build all these tunnels they can probably provide a decent bus service as well.

Such trips will be some way off though, as the first foreign trip we are likely to do once restrictions ease will be to visit the UK, probably driving.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 18:56
roadtester wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 16:27 I was having quite a long look at the ferry site the other day for fantasy post-COVID travel possibilities. Quite attracted to the idea of doing the trip. Also a bit out of the mainstream so probably quite good bragging rights too.
It's been on my radar for a while as well, especially given how close the Danish ferry terminal is to me. On the other hand, I don't know how useful it would be to take my own car to Iceland. If you want to get off the beaten track you really need something more suitable than an ageing Mondeo estate with a tendency to ground at both ends simultaneously on bumpy roads. But if you take your own car on a journey like that - which I imagine is not cheap - you are unlikely to choose then to hire a 4x4 as well.

Taking the car to the Faroes though might be more suitable. I can't imagine there's a huge amount of public transport on such sparsely populated islands, but then again if they can afford to build all these tunnels they can probably provide a decent bus service as well.

Such trips will be some way off though, as the first foreign trip we are likely to do once restrictions ease will be to visit the UK, probably driving.
On the subject of Iceland: I had the opportunity to get the full Iceland experience at Land Rover's expense on a press trip back in 2005 to test the then-new Discovery 3. With 4x4s and the guidance of the LR off-roading experts who had devised the route, we were able to see stuff that would be hard to get to even for the wealthiest tourists.

But I reckon there is also a decent week long holiday to be had by avoiding the 4x4 stuff and combining, say, four days exploring on normal roads (especially Route 1, I think it is, which is a sort of main perimeter road linking the bigger settlements) with two or three days/nights in Reykjavik. A lot of the roads are pretty good and IIRC you can see things like the big geysers without going too far off the beaten path. Probably more sensible/cheaper to fly and rent rather than takes one's own car, but I really liked the look of the ferry, perhaps just to the Faroes, as a bit of an experience in its own right.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

There is a decent bus service in the Faroe Islands, with a local network in Tórshavn and longer distance services too. There are also helicopter services run by Atlantic Airways between the islands, no idea of the cost however.

If you're driving, the roads are good, and most are coastal or nearly so, with only a few going over the hills between towns. The islands rise precipitately from the sea, and only one village (Miðvágar) is not on the coast at all. Vágar is the island with the most level ground, and this is where you find the airport, to no-one's surprise.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

I got a quote for a journey between Denmark and Iceland:

Outbound: Dep 16:00 13/03/2021 Arr: 09:00 16/03/2021
Return: Dep 20:00 21/04/2021 Arr: 11:30 24/04/2021

Spartan 2 berth cabin, no windws, no meals ordered, 2 people, car, 4.5 m long, one sailing per week Cost: €1215
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

roadtester wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 19:30 On the subject of Iceland: I had the opportunity to get the full Iceland experience at Land Rover's expense on a press trip back in 2005 to test the then-new Discovery 3. With 4x4s and the guidance of the LR off-roading experts who had devised the route, we were able to see stuff that would be hard to get to even for the wealthiest tourists.

But I reckon there is also a decent week long holiday to be had by avoiding the 4x4 stuff and combining, say, four days exploring on normal roads (especially Route 1, I think it is, which is a sort of main perimeter road linking the bigger settlements) with two or three days/nights in Reykjavik. A lot of the roads are pretty good and IIRC you can see things like the big geysers without going too far off the beaten path. Probably more sensible/cheaper to fly and rent rather than takes one's own car, but I really liked the look of the ferry, perhaps just to the Faroes, as a bit of an experience in its own right.
Route 1 is the ring road, so apart from the peninsular in the NW, or out to Keflavik it does link the main bits. Looking on wikipedia RUV, the main broadcaster in Iceland, with Sigur Ros did a real time drive around the ring on the summer solstice one year. It is on YouTube if you have the several hours to spare!