Rettungsgasse

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Re: Rettungsgasse

Post by ManomayLR »

The thing is this isn’t about closing lanes, this is about getting people to move right and left in existing lanes to open up a path for emergency vehicles.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: Rettungsgasse

Post by FosseWay »

Big L wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 22:55 I've seen plenty of drivers zip along through red X signs. How much clearer does a sign need to be than that? How does one misinterpret a big red X?
This isn't intended as a defence of this behaviour, so please don't take it that way :)

I think the answer to your question is lack of familiarity. Broadly speaking, you only get red Xs on motorways. That immediately rules out any experience for learners (at least the vast majority of today's driving population when they were learners). It also rules out all those people who live in places where they don't regularly drive on motorways. With the exception of situations like the A38(M), you only get red Xs in abnormal situations (accidents, roadworks etc.). They are not an automatic given across the network in the way a red traffic light is.

I can't actually remember *ever* having encountered a "dynamic" red X on a motorway, i.e. one triggered by an accident or roadworks, rather than an A38(M) style one.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!