Michelin copyright

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

John the Hat

Michelin copyright

Post by John the Hat »

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question. What is the copyright situation with regard to pre 1940 Michelin 1 cm -2 km sheets ? A client has enquired about a (very) limited print job (a one-off) but I am going to have to charge him so it is, strictly speaking, commercial use.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Michelin copyright

Post by Steven »

John the Hat wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 14:52 Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question. What is the copyright situation with regard to pre 1940 Michelin 1 cm -2 km sheets ? A client has enquired about a (very) limited print job (a one-off) but I am going to have to charge him so it is, strictly speaking, commercial use.
To quote from SABRE Maps/OS Copyright:
In simple terms, Crown Copyright (for Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland maps) lasts for 50 complete years, so maps safely can be used on the 1st January after the 50 years are up. Government Copyright for Ordnance Survey Ireland mapping also lasts for 50 years. All other mapping has a copyright of 70 years or the life of the author plus 70 years for a work with a named author. This last clause means that all A-Z maps that specifically name Phyllis Pearsall are in copyright until 2066, long after later editions that do not have dropped out of copyright.
That's of course, if you're copying from an original. If you're copying from a digital source, then there is a separate copyright on that source.

Commercial/non-commercial use is irrelevant to the law.

Bear in mind we're not copyright lawyers, so on your on head be it etc etc etc!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/OS Copyright :

In simple terms, Crown Copyright (for Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland maps) lasts for 50 complete years, so maps safely can be used on the 1st January after the 50 years are up. Government Copyright for Ordnance Survey Ireland mapping also lasts for 50 years. All other mapping has a copyright of 70 years or the life of the author plus 70 years for a work with a named author. This last clause means that all A-Z maps that specifically

... Read More
Vierwielen

Re: Michelin copyright

Post by Vierwielen »

Which territory is depicted in the map and where was the map produced? According to Wikimedia Commons, copyright of anonymous productions in France lasts for 70 years, so you should be OK with a map that was first published in 1940. The law in the United Kingdom is similar.