Strange prohibition sign in Sweden

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Strange prohibition sign in Sweden

Post by FosseWay »

I was out looking at antiquities in the rain yesterday (as you do) and came across this sign:
20210328_153327.jpg
I can't work out what's stranger - the prohibition on horse-drawn vehicles on a random lane in the back of beyond, or the plated exemption to the prohibition on Monday-Friday 0800-1600.

The location is here, at Öresten. GSV has blurred the roadsign out; the 4 tonne weight limit appears to have been added since the Google car went there in 2011.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Alderpoint

Re: Strange prohibition sign in Sweden

Post by Alderpoint »

Let it snow.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 13:38 I was out looking at antiquities in the rain yesterday (as you do) and came across this sign:

20210328_153327.jpg

I can't work out what's stranger - the prohibition on horse-drawn vehicles on a random lane in the back of beyond, or the plated exemption to the prohibition on Monday-Friday 0800-1600.

The location is here, at Öresten. GSV has blurred the roadsign out; the 4 tonne weight limit appears to have been added since the Google car went there in 2011.
Do they have an issue with travellers racing their pony & traps along the road, like the A66 near Appleby?
Lifelong motorhead
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

The fact it is "working hours" I assume people in horse draw vehicles were to much of a problem holding up traffic. Could not see any industry in the area.

The question is which is the offence, passing the sign or being inside the area during those hours. I expect it could take a while to be through the area on a horse draw vehicles.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I didn't see that second sign that Alderpoint found - I was driving when I went past that turning.

The only activity down that road that might generate significant traffic is the small airfield, mainly used for gliders. Note that the prohibition applies at all times *outside* working hours. The plate below the roundel reads Gäller ej Månd-Fred 8-16, i.e. "does not apply Monday-Friday 8 am - 4 pm".

The plate is also non-standard; the days of the week are not spelt with capital letters in Swedish, and, as in English, the abbreviations do not normally include the D of day/dag. It should read mån-fre 8-16. I'm just imagining a Swedish equivalent of Bryn grinding his teeth...

I'm not aware of a general problem with on-street gig racing in Sweden. If you want to race Boudicca-style chariots, there's an entire national league you can join, and do it at the local travbana.

As to JohnnyMo's question of what the offence actually is - I have no idea. Either way it is probably academic, since the chance of enforcement is basically nil.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Random guess - working day is to allow forestry collection of wood? The prohibition period, you mentioned gliders, to avoid scaring the horses? Given how specific it is it looks it may be decades old and possibly something way back to do with the glider place being Swedish military?
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

It looks like the red stripe has been added later on.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I wonder if the "excepted" hours reflect the hours of daylight in midwinter - not sure what the rules are about requiring lights on horse drawn traffic?

Incidentally, my award for "weirdest Google Translate effort" goes to the warning sign for horse drawn vehicles! :shock: :D

Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Something to do with the airfield and its operations is definitely a possibility.

The problem with reasons relating to forestry or darkness (and 0800-1600 includes nearly 2 hours of darkness at midwinter in Västra Götaland anyway) is that the signs are for specific stretches of road. You can take your horse and cart where and when you like on the "main" road, which wasn't much more than S1.5 for most of its length.