International answers to well-known roads of Britain.

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Osthagen

International answers to well-known roads of Britain.

Post by Osthagen »

Reading over the British Answers to Well-known Roads of the World. thread, I was immediately thinking of international roads I knew of that shared their names with well-known roads in the UK.

Downing Street, London

Downing Street, Lawrenceville, GA
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
the cheesecake man

Re: International answers to well-known roads of Britain.

Post by the cheesecake man »

London Bridge, Arizona :coat:
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Sardinia Street - London

Via Sardegna - Milan

I'd imagine that both were named after the Kingdom of Sardinia, rather than the eponymous island (although the former obviously did take its name from the latter).
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
jnty

Post by jnty »

Dunedin in New Zealand has a whole host of these, by design, as they lifted all the initial street names from Edinburgh. Most bear no relation to their Northern hemisphere inspirations but at least Moray Place is roughly circular if of significantly different character:
NZ: https://goo.gl/maps/ZmRKU3UYwVnBUUhY7
UK: https://goo.gl/maps/KGtwxdfwmTV6m1P27

Glenorchy has a similar nominative pining for parts of Scotland although I think only Argyle St matches exactly with a notable street back home. But again, they could hardly differ more:
NZ: https://goo.gl/maps/h9EFtR1PEinHaBFH9
UK: https://goo.gl/maps/FGLzzc8AzdSKa2V67
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Although not British, I saw a humourous photo of the "Golden Gate" in Germany.

While working in Frankfurt, I came across a book "Photos of Frankfurt through the ages" (or some such title, in German) in a bookshop. One of the photos, taken in 1945, showed a bridge across the [River] Main with a hand-written sign next to it "Golden Gate". This was the first photo is the book that was taken after 1933 (there were no photos at all of the Nazi era).
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

There are two Broadways (one signed The Broadway) near to be which are just residential side streets & not even a main shopping street like the better known British ones.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
booshank

Post by booshank »

Osthagen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 17:51 Reading over the British Answers to Well-known Roads of the World. thread, I was immediately thinking of international roads I knew of that shared their names with well-known roads in the UK.

Downing Street, London

I prefer the one in Port Douglas, Australia. There's another one about 50 km to the south in Cairns. I'm not sure exactly what the need for the flimsy little "keep left" sign is in the middle of the road, unprotected by an island.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

booshank wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 19:44
Osthagen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 17:51 Reading over the British Answers to Well-known Roads of the World. thread, I was immediately thinking of international roads I knew of that shared their names with well-known roads in the UK.

Downing Street, London

I prefer the one in Port Douglas, Australia. There's another one about 50 km to the south in Cairns. I'm not sure exactly what the need for the flimsy little "keep left" sign is in the middle of the road, unprotected by an island.
How about the one in Smethwick?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.