Longest numbered road in each country

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Micro The Maniac

Re: Longest numbered road in each country

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Owain wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 09:31 ... which is almost precisely ...
To be precise... is it precisely or is it not?

It cannot be almost precisely :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Sorry, but misused (qualified) absolutes are a pet bugbear of mine
Micro The Maniac

Euan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 23:21 Very fascinating map. From what I can see, Germany and Denmark is the only pair of countries whose longest numbered roads connect with each other (the German A7 and the Danish part of the E45). Might there be any other pairs of countries in the world with this property?
In most respects (other than the number) A7 is the *same* road as the Danish E45
booshank

Post by booshank »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 09:21
booshank wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 23:42 The longest numbered road in South Africa is the N2, most internet searches give an unsourced length of 2255 km but a Google Maps measurement is 2230 km.

What is a little unusual about the N2 as a road number is that it isn't a sensible route to actually take between its end points in Cape Town and Ermelo either in terms of distance or time. In fact Google Maps suggests a route that doesn't involve the N2 at all. In fact it's not even a sensible route between the two largest cities it connects, Cape Town and Durban, with most traffic going N1-N5-N3 instead.
It looks quite similar to Highway 1 (Australia) between Melbourne and Adelaide, and Sydney and Melbourne, in following the coastal area but most through traffic uses the direct route.
Yes, the other reason is that most of the south and east coast of South Africa has little to no coastal plain, with irregular hilly or even mountainous terrain right down to the sea, so the road is often relatively winding and indirect. In fact quite a few people are disappointed that you don't see the sea at all for about 4 hours between Sir Lowry's Pass and Mossel Bay.

On the other hand the interior is mainly flatter so the roads are straighter and have higher speed limits.
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

Here is the next version: longest numbered roads in each county of Asia.

Lots of interesting snippets on this one, including Afghanistan's circular highway (presumably not recommended at the moment!); the Philippines' national route crossing many islands; and China's longest route the G318 connecting Shanghai to Nepal via Tibet.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:38
Owain wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 09:31 ... which is almost precisely ...
To be precise... is it precisely or is it not?

It cannot be almost precisely :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Sorry, but misused (qualified) absolutes are a pet bugbear of mine
And yet I'll bet nobody would have complained if I'd said "almost exactly", even though the meaning is exactly (and precisely) the same.

Just be grateful I didn't say it was "almost unique"!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Micro The Maniac

Owain wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 00:11 And yet I'll bet nobody would have complained if I'd said "almost exactly", even though the meaning is exactly (and precisely) the same.

I would, yes... oh, yes, I would!
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Euan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 23:21
ChrisH wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 15:01 Here's an interesting map from Reddit / Maps on the web:

Interestingly the longest numbered road in any European country is not in Russia but is actually the E6 in Norway at a chunky 2628km. Spain's N340 is surprisingly long at over 1200km. Our own A1 clocks in at a mere 660km.
Very fascinating map. From what I can see, Germany and Denmark is the only pair of countries whose longest numbered roads connect with each other (the German A7 and the Danish part of the E45). Might there be any other pairs of countries in the world with this property?
It's actually a triplet - the E45 is also Sweden's longest numbered road, and (according to Google at any rate) the ferry route between Frederikshavn and Gothenburg is still officially the E45:
E45.png
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:18
ChrisH wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 15:01 Here's an interesting map from Reddit / Maps on the web:

Interestingly the longest numbered road in any European country is not in Russia but is actually the E6 in Norway at a chunky 2628km. Spain's N340 is surprisingly long at over 1200km. Our own A1 clocks in at a mere 660km.
Very fascinating map. From what I can see, Germany and Denmark is the only pair of countries whose longest numbered roads connect with each other (the German A7 and the Danish part of the E45). Might there be any other pairs of countries in the world with this property?
It's actually a triplet - the E45 is also Sweden's longest numbered road, and (according to Google at any rate) the ferry route between Frederikshavn and Gothenburg is still officially the E45:
E45.png
But does the E45 belong to Sweden, any more than the E6 belongs to Norway?

I would argue that it doesn't, and that the Scandinavian countries have no domestic numbering system for their most important routes. That would mean that they cannot win this contest! :stir:

[And, like the linguistic difference, the road numbers serve to demonstrate that Finland is not Scandinavian!]

Viva la Repubblica!
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:40
FosseWay wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:18

E45.png
But does the E45 belong to Sweden, any more than the E6 belongs to Norway?

I would argue that it doesn't, and that the Scandinavian countries have no domestic numbering system for their most important routes. That would mean that they cannot win this contest! :stir:

[And, like the linguistic difference, the road numbers serve to demonstrate that Finland is not Scandinavian!]
No, the E45 doesn't belong to either Denmark or Sweden, but I don't think that matters for the purposes of this exercise: it's the longest numbered road in the country in question. That it extends elsewhere (and is also the longest numbered road in another country) doesn't really matter. In other words, if the Swedish and Danish E45 stretches were numbered something else (rv45 for Sweden, for example), they'd still be the same length and still connect with each other.

In a sense, Sweden does in any case have a domestic number for these important routes, since the numbers used by E-routes on Swedish territory are not duplicated in the national (riksväg) numbering scheme. There is no rv6, rv45, rv18 etc. AFAIK Denmark does the same. You see the point of this pedantry when you cross the Danish-German border onto the A7 - it's still the E45 but not signed as such.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

ChrisH wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 09:58 Here is the next version: longest numbered roads in each county of Asia.

Lots of interesting snippets on this one, including Afghanistan's circular highway (presumably not recommended at the moment!); the Philippines' national route crossing many islands; and China's longest route the G318 connecting Shanghai to Nepal via Tibet.
What struck me quickly was that for Malaysia, the longest route was on the Borneo part rather than the peninsular part.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Was92now625 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 22:07
ChrisH wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 09:58 Here is the next version: longest numbered roads in each county of Asia.

What struck me quickly was that for Malaysia, the longest route was on the Borneo part rather than the peninsular part.
Although it isn't continuous because there are, not one, but two, parts of Brunei that interrupt it!

Going back to Denmark, the geography of the country positively encourages the country's longest-numbered route to be on a different piece of land than the island occupied by the capital.

Viva la Repubblica!
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 23:23

Although it isn't continuous because there are, not one, but two, parts of Brunei that interrupt it!

Going back to Denmark, the geography of the country positively encourages the country's longest-numbered route to be on a different piece of land than the island occupied by the capital.
Yes, I see this now from a more careful look at the map. Of course, Borneo is the only island to contain 3 countries. Not many contain 2.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Was92now625 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 23:48
Owain wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 23:23

Yes, I see this now from a more careful look at the map. Of course, Borneo is the only island to contain 3 countries. Not many contain 2.
It's a crazy island! Your post prompted me to take a good look at it; I knew that there were two separate parts to Brunei, both surrounded by the Borneo portion of Malaysia, but look at the bridge Brunei built to enable access between its two separate parts. Wow! :o

Viva la Repubblica!
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 23:55

It's a crazy island! Your post prompted me to take a good look at it; I knew that there were two separate parts to Brunei, both surrounded by the Borneo portion of Malaysia, but look at the bridge Brunei built to enable access between its two separate parts. Wow! :o
I'd known Brunei was 2 separate parts inland but only on seeing this did I check carefully on a map and indeed, discounting the bridge (!), they are separate at the coast as well.

So, if you travel round the coast of Borneo, you encounter 6 national borders i.e. Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Malaysia, Brunei, Malaysia.

If they do carry out the plans to move the capital of Indonesia to Borneo from Java, then Borneo would have
  • One part containing the capital AND the longest road for that country (Brunei)
    One Part containing the capital BUT NOT the longest road (Indonesia)
    One part containing the longest road but not the capital (Malaysia)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Was92now625 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 23:12
Owain wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 23:55

I'd known Brunei was 2 separate parts inland but only on seeing this did I check carefully on a map and indeed, discounting the bridge (!), they are separate at the coast as well.

So, if you travel round the coast of Borneo, you encounter 6 national borders i.e. Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Malaysia, Brunei, Malaysia.

If they do carry out the plans to move the capital of Indonesia to Borneo from Java, then Borneo would have
  • One part containing the capital AND the longest road for that country (Brunei)
    One Part containing the capital BUT NOT the longest road (Indonesia)
    One part containing the longest road but not the capital (Malaysia)
That has to be some kind of record!

Viva la Repubblica!
MJG

Post by MJG »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:20
No, the E45 doesn't belong to either Denmark or Sweden, but I don't think that matters for the purposes of this exercise: it's the longest numbered road in the country in question. That it extends elsewhere (and is also the longest numbered road in another country) doesn't really matter. In other words, if the Swedish and Danish E45 stretches were numbered something else (rv45 for Sweden, for example), they'd still be the same length and still connect with each other.

In a sense, Sweden does in any case have a domestic number for these important routes, since the numbers used by E-routes on Swedish territory are not duplicated in the national (riksväg) numbering scheme. There is no rv6, rv45, rv18 etc. AFAIK Denmark does the same. You see the point of this pedantry when you cross the Danish-German border onto the A7 - it's still the E45 but not signed as such.
Actually, the E45 in Sweden was Rv45 between 1991 and 2006. Before 1991, the route did not have a contiguous numbering but half a dozen of numbers. This is a good example about making long routes by replacing number signs only.

As Sweden, Norway, and Denmark do not have overlapping E and national numbers, the E roads can very logically seen belonging to the national road numbering scheme, at least within the context of this serious exercise. Thus, E45 in Denmark, E45 in Sweden, and E45 in Norway.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 08:53
Owain wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 00:11 And yet I'll bet nobody would have complained if I'd said "almost exactly", even though the meaning is exactly (and precisely) the same.

I would, yes... oh, yes, I would!
I do hope you weren't watching Masterchef this evening - somebody described two things as "highly identical"! :yikes: :bang:

Viva la Repubblica!
Micro The Maniac

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 23:17 I do hope you weren't watching Masterchef this evening - somebody described two things as "highly identical"! :yikes: :bang:
:roll: :yikes: :bang: