CGP Grey helps us understand the US Interstate system

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

CGP Grey helps us understand the US Interstate system

Post by Chris Bertram »

It's way more complicated than you thought, right?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
exiled
President

Re: CGP Grey helps us understand the US Interstate system

Post by exiled »

Saw that video earlier. It is very interesting.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The interstate grid principle is a bit too rigid for the geography of the USA sometimes. I-2 and I-4 therefore become extremely short routes whilst several 3 digit routes are longer.

That said, that isn't unique to the USA, the M180 is longer than numerous 2 digit motorways here...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:57 The interstate grid principle is a bit too rigid for the geography of the USA sometimes. I-2 and I-4 therefore become extremely short routes whilst several 3 digit routes are longer.

That said, that isn't unique to the USA, the M180 is longer than numerous 2 digit motorways here...
The USA is wider than it is high, if you see what I mean, hence the missing I-50 and I-60. Compromises are inevitable.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I actually really like this. Straightforward knowledge, without being too stupid - or geekish. Jokes, but not too many. Just enough. And not too patronising about any inconsistencies, which often have some logic behind them anyway.

The "missing" I-50/60 was well explained, that there is a desire not to have Interstates and US Highways of the same number together. The Interstate structure is broadly what the old US highway numbering concept is, but reversed, to start at the opposite part of the country, so they might tend to overlap in the middle if not left out. In the US it's just numbers, from multiple organisations, commonly just known as "Highway 99", or even just "The 99", without reference to agency, hence the approach - and "Route 66".

Could we do a comparable one for the UK on YouTube ?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

WHBM wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 13:45 I actually really like this. Straightforward knowledge, without being too stupid - or geekish. Jokes, but not too many. Just enough. And not too patronising about any inconsistencies, which often have some logic behind them anyway.

The "missing" I-50/60 was well explained, that there is a desire not to have Interstates and US Highways of the same number together. The Interstate structure is broadly what the old US highway numbering concept is, but reversed, to start at the opposite part of the country, so they might tend to overlap in the middle if not left out. In the US it's just numbers, from multiple organisations, commonly just known as "Highway 99", or even just "The 99", without reference to agency, hence the approach - and "Route 66".

Now there's an idea. We might even be able to shame the various agencies responsible into "fixing" some of the more egregiously stupid numbers, whether they be out-of-zone discrepancies or two-digit B-roads.

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 14:13
WHBM wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 13:45 I actually really like this. Straightforward knowledge, without being too stupid - or geekish. Jokes, but not too many. Just enough. And not too patronising about any inconsistencies, which often have some logic behind them anyway.

Now there's an idea. We might even be able to shame the various agencies responsible into "fixing" some of the more egregiously stupid numbers, whether they be out-of-zone discrepancies or two-digit B-roads.
You will need someone less caustic than I am about these things.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck