Guide to SPAIN

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IJP1

Guide to SPAIN

Post by IJP1 »

Population: 39 million.
Sticker: E.
Drives: right, litres, km.
Obligatory: two warning triangles, spare bulbs, first-aid kit.
Suggested: Translation of insurance documents.
Did you know?
Spain recently surpassed the UK in motorways per head and within five years its overall network is expected to be more extensive - not bad for a country which had barely any at all until democracy was restored in 1977.
System:
Autopistas (motorways) have blue-backed signs with white printwith sequential junction numbering, usually two-lane each way, grade-separated and dualled, generally tolled heavily (except bypasses). Numbered with an 'A'-prefix on a blue-backed rectangle.
Autov?as (motorways/semi-motorways) also have blue-backed signs with white print but use km markers for junction numbers, generally two-lane each way, grade-separated and dualled, rarely tolled. Numbered as part of the national system, but sometimes given their own 'A'-number (typically two digits) in black on an orange background. There is an extremely comprehensive network linking Madrid, Barcelona and Seville with all major cities, and most major cities to each other.
Rutas nacionales can be autov?as or single-carriageway roads, with numbers in white on red background with abbreviation 'N' (although always pronounced in full).
Other routes are regional with a wide array of provincial or regional numbers, ranging from autov?as down to dirt tracks.
Urban areas:
Marked by white-backed sign with name of location in capitals and route number above. Cancelled by white-backed sign with red strikethrough and route number above.
Traffic lights:
Red-green-amber-red. Spaniards, particularly in the south, are notorious for ignoring these completely, see below.
Road lights:
Street lighting is reasonable, although would benefit from cat's eyes. Cat's eyes are, however, very helpfully used in roadwork zones.
Network Numbering:
Rutas nacionales go clockwise 1-6 from Madrid, but bizarrely are signed in Roman numerals (eg 'N-II'), except in the case of motorways (the 'N-II' becomes the 'A-2'). The A-7 runs down the east coast. No 'A'-roads can be more than two digits and cannot be duplicated, although there are two 'A-92s' in the south, the 'A-92 norte' and 'A-92 sur'.There are then a confusing array of regional route numbers on yellow backgrounds ('D' is often used for these), others using the initial letter of the region on green backgrounds with at least three digits (confusingly this means 'A' numbers again in Andalusia), and still others using the provincial code ('SE' in Seville, 'MU' in Murcia, oh yes and 'A' makes another reappearance!), normally blue-on-white. European numbers are also often displayed on green backgrounds. If that's not clear to you, it evidently ain't very clear to the Spaniards either, none of whom seem to have a clue what's going on!
Motorway junctions:
Varies. Multiplexes are signed as such, even with separate route confirmatory markers. Generally at junctions the junction number is displayed on white background, with road numbers and destinations in capitals also on white except where these are on another motorway, in which case they are lower case on blue background. Forward routes typically show only one destination displayed prominently lower case on blue background, with route number. Diagrammatic signs are extremely rare.
Signage:
Much like the road numbering system, often somewhat chaotic and very inconsistent. Motorways (autopistas and autov?as) have blue backgrounds but there is no patching. Other routes are all black-on-white capitals. Road numbers are fairly frequently displayed, but due to the current (lack of) system and evident renumbering, these are of questionable value. Selections of destinations seem to be chosen pretty well at random - signs heading north out of M?laga, for example, will give one or three of 'GRANADA, C?RDOBA, ALMER?A, MADRID', there's no guessing which!
Quirk:
You need a quirk after all this?!
Final thought:
A Spaniard once explained the local traffic light system to me - green means 'go', amber means 'go', and red means 'go - but with caution'.
Corrections welcome!
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

<Spain recently surpassed the UK in motorways per head and within five years its overall network is expected to be more extensive - not bad for a country which had barely any at all until democracy was restored in 1977.>

Not that much of a surprise. If anyone saw Jeremy Clarkson's "Meet the Neighbours" programme a couple of weeks ago, you will have seen how JC exposed the fantastic standard of much of Spain's road network these days, coming to the conclusion (correctly in my view) that of course Spain has such a good road network, because EU member states such as the UK have paid for them. (Slightly labouring the point, Jeremy "refused" to pay his motorway toll because "I am British and I have paid already".) Because Spain is officially a "poor" country (not found much evidence of this on my most recent visits), it gets far more back from the EU than it puts in (unlike us of course), which gets lavished on motorways and other engineering projects. A pleasant thought to contemplate when you are next stuck in traffic somewhere on the British road network.
Oh, and they get to steal all our fish too.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Heh heh, a nice bit of politics there! They'll be getting Gibraltar next...
Just wait until I do the Irish Republic!
I.
Ian P. (IJP1)
Viator

Post by Viator »

Ian, a chara.
Nice to see you back again. Congrats on "Guide to SPAIN". Intended asa template for other contributions about our neighbours' road systems? I hope so (thoughI have to say I'm less keen on the "funny foreigners" touches you occasionally admitted). Havenot contributed much to Sabre myself of late, owing to depression brought on by the seeming recent ascendancy of the Clarksonite Tendency (anyone ever noticed the similarities in reasoning betweenthe speedophile and US gun lobbies?)
>> Corrections welcome! <<
Oh, goody, licensed pedantry! Just one thing: I believe ruta nacional to be an Americanism --I've never come across it in Spain. The corresponding "peninsular" Spanish term is carretera nacional.
Is mise le meas,
Viator.
Tom

Post by Tom »

The thing that I immediately noticed about Spain (I've only been on a short hop across the border from Hendaye) was the plethora of "no overtaking" signs. The Spanish have the same system of lines down the middle of the (single carriageway) road as us -- a solid line on your side means you can't overtake, a broken line means you can. Whenever the configuration of these lines changes -- eg on bends, approaching the brow of a hill etc -- there is an accompanying "no overtaking" or "end of no overtaking" sign at the side of the road. This seems overly fussy to me -- we seem to get by without all this in the UK.

<< Signage:
Much like the road numbering system, often somewhat chaotic and very inconsistent. Motorways (autopistas and autov?as) have blue backgrounds but there is no patching. Other routes are all black-on-white capitals. >>

The chaos of signage at the moment should give way to Transport Heavy fonts (same as used for black-on-white signs in the UK) being used on the other routes and FHWA (American) fonts for the motorways. See http://www.dgt.es/ilegislacion/5.html-- the Spanish Highway Code in (questionable) English (no pictures of signs, unfortunately)
Michael
Former Member

Post by Michael »

Is the A92 actually a motorway? It's signed in a strange black on orange (the actual route number) and it seems to be a "Autovia" in all extents - I remeber seeing it and wondering exactly why it had a A designation. If I remeber rightly, it's also a multiplex with another route.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Viator, a chara,
Good to hear from you too. Excuse the 'funny foreigners' bit, but don't worry I'm entirely consistent, the 'Guide to THE UK' is already written and will appear here shortly complete with similar 'funny foreigner' quirks!
I believe, tho I'm open to correction, that when the routes themselves are referred to they are known as 'rutas nacionales', but the roads themselves are 'carreteras nacionales'. So if you're on the N-340 you're on the 'carretera nacional', but the number itself is the 'ruta nacional'. But I could be *very* wrong, that was just my understanding when I was there. Certainly you are right about 'ruta' being more common in Latin America (or at least in Mexico, where I've heared them referred to).
Beannachta?,
Ian P.
Ian P. (IJP1)
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Michael,
Correct, the A-92 (and A-92 norte) is an 'autov?a', therefore all grade-separated and limited access, but not quite a full 'autopista'.
Not sure about the road number. It could be that it was built completely new, ie that it didn't track an already existing national route.
The A-92 goes on for ages across the south. A lot of it is a multiplex, but part of it isn't. There is also an entirely new motorway (not sure whether -v?a or -pista) being built along the Costa del Sol, seemingly with the designation A-7. Hmmm...
Ian P.
Ian P. (IJP1)
Michael
Former Member

Post by Michael »

http://www.autopistadelsol.com/

That's the new A7 - taking in part of the Marbella Bypass, and it's only tolled (barriers) between Malaga and Estapona.

The rest of the route to Algeciras is going to be toll free, apparently.
einsteins_theory

Post by einsteins_theory »

I was in Spain on holiday last week at Calahonda (between Malaga and Marbella). The N340 is the coast road, bypassed by the A7 (which isa nice motorway), the N340 is an experience to drive on, barriers either side, two lanes, a sort of hard shoulder, max speed up to 120 km/h and very very short slip roads.
Nearly was involved in an accident as someone drove up the wrong slip road and had to do a three point turn.
Find enclosed a couple of pictures from the junction, love them arrows Image
n340_junction_sign.jpg
einsteins_theory

When I mean "someone", before anyone asks it wasn't me!
Probably the same people who drive up the wrong dual carriageway at The centre MK, at least they aren't driving at people travelling at 70 mph...
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

Not been to the Costa del Sol for a good few years. They were in the process of finishing-off the dualling of the N340 at that time and hadn't even thought of building a new motorway alongside it as well. Things get donequickly in Spain, clearly.And they do actually build roads in Spain, largely because the British taxpayer is paying for them (through the billions we contribute to the EU each year). What a shame we can't spend the money building or improving our own roads, or hospitals, or schools etc etc.....
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

Just noticed that I made exactly the same point at message number 2 in this verythread. However, that was nearly a year ago, so perhaps I can be forgiven....
Michael
Former Member

Post by Michael »

Oh how I know the N340 well, I sadly haven't been back to the Costa Del Sol since the A7 opened there.
The roads really are amazing in Spain though, considering the fact that the majority are still toll free.

I'm glad that the A7 will eventually extend to Algeciras, and I think work is still underway to finally have a dual carriageway or better connection to Almeria, although incredibly slowly. It has to be said that driving the N340 along the coast is one amazing experience. The fact that Fuengirola now has two high standard bypasses hasn't escaped me either, although it would be fair to say that one is now more of a local route.
The other thing that amazes me about Spain is the general standard of non motorway roads, ie the Autovia's. the N-IV is a terrific example of a road that must have cost a considerable amount to build, yet is still free.

I'm still amazed by the fact that Gibraltar even exists, let alone the fact that less than 20 years ago, the gates were locked shut at the border.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Er yeah, although to be fair Bob, even with all the public money in the world, no roads would ever get built in the UK! Takes about a 17 generations to get past the Environmental Impact Assessments!
Ian P.
Ian P. (IJP1)
einsteins_theory

Yes, I think around Fuengirola has the N340 and N340a...
The section I drove from Mallaga to Marbella was great, you ended up driving as fast as everyone else, the bad thing is some of the turn-offs are very short, and a few times I had to get off at the next junction and turn around...when in Spain drive as fast as everyone and you'll be fine, drive at 23mph and you'll be in trouble!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I remember the N340 from my only trip to Spain back in 1994.
I believe I have a fewphotos of it somewhere, which I will dig out soon (probably tomorrow), and around Calahonda where there was a rather hairy one lane traffic light controlled underpass under the road.
I remember a road being built around 1994, scheduled to open in 97, referred to as theBenalmadena Bypass by everyone so I don't know if it was part of the A7 or not...but, the narrow lane up to Coin involved using a short strech of it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Oops...forgot to add: Is there any chance you went through the tunnels near Marbella, aswell asthe Marbella footbridge, unless it's been flattenned.
They also haven't changed the streetlights either on the road. It'sa gem, the N340, really.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Michael
Former Member

Post by Michael »

The whole new/old road issue on the Costa Del Sol is a tricky one, with all the new building that's gone on lately. As I understand it..
The A7 is only the new, tolled section between the end (nearly the end, anyway) of the Benalmadena bypass at Fuengirola and the start of the Marbella bypass, and also the new, tolled section between the end of the Marbella bypass and Estapona. After Estapona, i'm not sure if the new motorway is going to be A7 or N340.

The Benalmadena bypass (ie the road that runs up in the mountains betweenMalaga Airport and Fuengirola) and the Marbella bypass are both still N340/E15.
I do question why the entire new(ish) builds aren't going to be tolled, especially in the case of the Benalmadena bypass and the extension of the A7 to San Roque (the turnoff for Gibraltar, basically). At least, if these sections were all tolled, it would offer a real incentive to take the toll road rather than the coastal road, as you wouldn't have people using the 'free' road between Malaga Airport and Fuengirola. As it stands, there's no real reason to take the A7 between Fuengirola and Marbella, apart from possibly easier access to Calahonda if coming from Malaga Airport.
Realistically, I think the majority of people heading towards Algeciras are going to take the N340/E15 towards Fuengirola, then take the coastal route to avoid the toll. It does seem to defeat the purpose, only having the road tolled for certain stretches that can be easily avoided in the first place.
einsteins_theory

Can't remember any tunnels on the N340, did travel through the tunnels on the A7, very impressive and you are quite a distance from the coast as well but the new stretches of Autopista (some just having the cones removed) were very nice to travel, ok mostly 2 lane but traffic still flowed well, actually there wasn't much.Image!