Belgian Motorways & Roads

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

scragend

Re: Belgian Motorways

Post by scragend »

Octaviadriver wrote: Was it ever 130kph? I can only remember it being 120kph. I notice it as being lower in Belgium when crossing from France, which is 130kph (when dry) and Holland, which has some sections 130kph and some at 120kph.
As far as I know it's always been 120. Always is a long time though, so I am prepared to be corrected.

It has definitely been 120 ever since I have been going to Belgium though (since 1996).
Ruperts Trooper

Re: Re:

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Was92now625 wrote: <pedantic> but Holland does not border Belgium. The only provinces of the Netherlands to border Belgium are Zeeland, North Brabant and Limburg. Neither North Holland nor South Holland borders Belgium. </pedantic>
The terms "Holland" and "Netherlands" are commonly interchangeable when referring to the country, even among the Dutch !
Lifelong motorhead
hughster

Post by hughster »

Glenn A wrote:Are there any road signs in German as Eupen Malmedy is mostly German speaking?
Yes, it appears that road signs are in German within the East Cantons. Some hastily found examples near the border: #1 #2.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

hughster wrote:
Glenn A wrote:Are there any road signs in German as Eupen Malmedy is mostly German speaking?
Yes, it appears that road signs are in German within the East Cantons. Some hastily found examples near the border: #1 #2.
Makes sense as this is Belgium's third language and spoken largely in this area.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

scragend wrote:
Octaviadriver wrote: Was it ever 130kph? I can only remember it being 120kph. I notice it as being lower in Belgium when crossing from France, which is 130kph (when dry) and Holland, which has some sections 130kph and some at 120kph.
As far as I know it's always been 120. Always is a long time though, so I am prepared to be corrected.

It has definitely been 120 ever since I have been going to Belgium though (since 1996).
The current Belgian highway code gives its Royal Decree date as 1st December 1975 and the limit is 120 km/h on motorways, with no indication that it has been anything else since it came into force.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
wibble

Post by wibble »

I drove through St. Veit a couple of years ago, and although I was aware that Belgium had a German speaking area, I didn't realize that it was here. Here's a couple of more road signs with German on them.
MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

Post by MarcoUK »

When I was in Belgium I noticed tak Flandres have better road surfaces than Wallonia

jackal

Post by jackal »

DID YOU KNOW Belgium has five turbine interchanges, more than any other European country :)
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There's also far more 1980 SOX lighting than any other country. I'm amazed at how much of it remains untouched.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

My dad drove us across Belgium in 1992. In the course of a single hour, we saw three accidents.

And on our second trip in 1993 we picked up a puncture, which I correctly identified (despite only being a teenager) while my dad initially dismissed it as "the bad road surface", and drove on. It would have taken a really bad road to make the car feel like a washing machine!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
M19

Post by M19 »

I drove from Dunkirk through Belgium to go camping in NW France, south of Sedan. Driving standards progressively deteriorated towards Brussels on the E40.

The R0, Brussels Ring Road makes the M25 look quite tame for all the sudden lane changing and cutteruppery that happened on the R0. Wierdly it felt more like the suburban sections of the M8 in Glasgow than the M25.

Coming out on the E411, had a very near miss by some nutter - young show off with mates type, who was trying to get ahead at all costs and did a very close and dangerous undertake at over 90, just making it through the gap between me and the car I was passing. Further out of Brussels towards Luxembourg, the road narrows from D3 to D2, and the surface becomes very worn. The landscape is nice though. Hilly and much less of a bore than using the A26 back through France.
M19
Vierwielen

Re: Re:

Post by Vierwielen »

Ruperts Trooper wrote:
Was92now625 wrote: <pedantic> but Holland does not border Belgium. The only provinces of the Netherlands to border Belgium are Zeeland, North Brabant and Limburg. Neither North Holland nor South Holland borders Belgium. </pedantic>
The terms "Holland" and "Netherlands" are commonly interchangeable when referring to the country, even among the Dutch !
If you are buying goods from them, the Dutch would rather take your money than correct your useage of "Netherlands"/"Holland".
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Owain wrote:My dad drove us across Belgium in 1992. In the course of a single hour, we saw three accidents.

And on our second trip in 1993 we picked up a puncture, which I correctly identified (despite only being a teenager) while my dad initially dismissed it as "the bad road surface", and drove on. It would have taken a really bad road to make the car feel like a washing machine!
A16 south Lincolnshire between the A17 and Spalding has a wierd surface to it as if the roller was egg shaped instead of round, no end of people pull in the tyre place thinking they've got a puncture or shed a weight when all it is is that 1 stretch of road. I say that 1 stretch but there's another bit in town by Bakkavor's factory (Geest if you're old enough) but it's in a 30 so not as noticeable.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

M19 wrote:I drove from Dunkirk through Belgium to go camping in NW France, south of Sedan. Driving standards progressively deteriorated towards Brussels on the E40.

The R0, Brussels Ring Road makes the M25 look quite tame for all the sudden lane changing and cutteruppery that happened on the R0. Wierdly it felt more like the suburban sections of the M8 in Glasgow than the M25.

Coming out on the E411, had a very near miss by some nutter - young show off with mates type, who was trying to get ahead at all costs and did a very close and dangerous undertake at over 90, just making it through the gap between me and the car I was passing. Further out of Brussels towards Luxembourg, the road narrows from D3 to D2, and the surface becomes very worn. The landscape is nice though. Hilly and much less of a bore than using the A26 back through France.
I do find my pulse return to normal coming off the R0. The worst driving does feel it is on the Vlaams Brabant section of the E411. Possibly relief from getting off of the R0. From Namur south I prefer the N4 over the E411.
wibble

Post by wibble »

exiled wrote:I do find my pulse return to normal coming off the R0. The worst driving does feel it is on the Vlaams Brabant section of the E411. Possibly relief from getting off of the R0. From Namur south I prefer the N4 over the E411.

How is the N4 to drive - I went that way with my parents in 1991 and I remember it to be a not particularly well engineered D2 - at least my dad said it would have been easier to go along the motorway given that we were towing a loaded caravan!

I just looked at Google, an saw that it is quite well built in many places, but does fall back to S2 wirth turning lanes in a few places - kind of like a Belguim A30/A303/A31 (take your pick of nopt quite fully up to standard UK A roads!).

I drive along the E411 a couple of times a year, so a change of scene on the N4 would be quite nice if it isn't such a bad road.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

wibble wrote:
exiled wrote:I do find my pulse return to normal coming off the R0. The worst driving does feel it is on the Vlaams Brabant section of the E411. Possibly relief from getting off of the R0. From Namur south I prefer the N4 over the E411.

How is the N4 to drive - I went that way with my parents in 1991 and I remember it to be a not particularly well engineered D2 - at least my dad said it would have been easier to go along the motorway given that we were towing a loaded caravan!

I just looked at Google, an saw that it is quite well built in many places, but does fall back to S2 wirth turning lanes in a few places - kind of like a Belguim A30/A303/A31 (take your pick of nopt quite fully up to standard UK A roads!).

I drive along the E411 a couple of times a year, so a change of scene on the N4 would be quite nice if it isn't such a bad road.
What you have found on Google is the N4, to me that is part of its charm. But the saving grace for it as a route is the long distance traffic is on the E411 making it very quiet for a road of its type in a country like Belgium. It is certainly, from Namur to Bastoigne, a step back in time compared to the E411. The remainder, from Bastoigne to the frontier with Luxembourg tends to be S2.

Also Belgian N roads, certainly in Wallonia do have a larger proportion of S4 sections than might be expected else where, the N4 being one.
MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

Post by MarcoUK »

Nice,very nice A15 (E42)

Before and After
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

MarcoUK wrote:Nice,very nice A15 (E42)

Before and After
Impressive! Well done, Belgians :applause:
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Marc

Post by Marc »

jackal wrote:DID YOU KNOW Belgium has five turbine interchanges, more than any other European country :)
Until recently there were just four (4)!

* Zwijnaarde (GHENT) E17(A14) X E40(A10)
* "ZAVENTEM" (DIEGEM) R0 X A20
* Sterrebeek (ZAVENTEM) R0 X E40(A3)
* LUMMEN E313(A13) X E314(A2)
* Daussoult (NAMUR) E42(A15) X E411(A4)

LUMMEL interchange was till +- 2009 a three level or 'stacked' roundabout interchange. For mostly road safety but also congestion reasons, it was rebuild as a turbine type. Rebuild was finished in 2015.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I really like the Belgian network but the signs are terrible :(
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck