Help wanted to trace a software problem

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Help wanted to trace a software problem

Post by FosseWay »

It has come to the SMT's attention that some users are unable to see the "Report this post" button on posts in certain forums. The "Report this post" button shows a ! and is one of the buttons that appear at the top right of every post on the forums when you are logged in.

To get an understanding of how widespread the problem is, we would be very grateful if all users could quickly check that the button is visible in all forums. Please don't actually click the button unless you actively want to report the post in question!

If the button is missing from any/all of the SABRE forums when you are logged in, please send a PM to the President or SMT.

Please do not send a PM if everything is working as it should for you - there is a risk that valid reports will get lost in the avalanche otherwise.

Thanks for your help!

Alex
Last edited by FosseWay on Sat Dec 29, 2018 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Berk

Re: Help wanted to trace a software problem

Post by Berk »

Is this an issue when users are logged in, or when they are not??
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Berk wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 19:05 Is this an issue when users are logged in, or when they are not??
FosseWay wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 16:13 If the button is missing from any/all of the SABRE forums when you are logged in, please send a PM to the President or SMT.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

It's there on the PC (Chrome under Linux), but not on the phone (Chrome and Android). Maybe it just disappears when the site scales for a smaller screen?
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I can see it on my Win10 PC using Chrome and Edge and IE11.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

BeenEverywhere wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 21:58It's there on the PC (Chrome under Linux), but not on the phone (Chrome and Android). Maybe it just disappears when the site scales for a smaller screen?
No, I’ve been through all the forums and can see it present in all of them in Safari on iPhone. So not a scaling problem - maybe a browser issue? Or browser+viewport size.
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

That is properly random. It's there in Chrome on the laptop, phone (but not the other day), and tablet. However, it's not there in Firefox on the laptop.

BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

If you look in buttons.css there's a tweak in there for mozilla browsers (eg Firefox). I'm not as good on such matters as I used to be, but I seem to remember IE used to report itself as Mozilla sometimes.

Code: Select all

/* Browser-specific tweaks */
button::-moz-focus-inner {
	padding: 0;
	border: 0
My thoughts would be make yourself a working copy of the skin to play about with and comment out that bit of code. If it's quite an old skin, it may be trying to work around a browser issue that's since been fixed.

frediculous_biggs
SABRE Developer

Post by frediculous_biggs »

BeenEverywhere wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 09:02 My thoughts would be make yourself a working copy of the skin to play about with and comment out that bit of code. If it's quite an old skin, it may be trying to work around a browser issue that's since been fixed.
No need for that, Firefox's development tools will allow one to toggle CSS to see the effect with that section enabled or disabled.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!