Local Road Projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: Local Road Projects

Post by wrinkly »

Notice about A565 Liverpool:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2944421

I think I once found a plan of this on the city council website.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Welsh Govt press release:

http://gov.wales/newsroom/transport/201 ... d/?lang=en
Economy and Transport Secretary Ken Skates has announced Welsh Government funding which will see the Llangefni Link Road completed.
Monday 15 January 2018

Investment announced today will enable the delivery of section 3 with a further £1.028 million being invested this financial year and up to £2.5 million provided in 2018-19, subject to an updated business case. This brings Welsh Government contribution in the scheme to over £10.6 million.

The Link Road, which is being delivered in four sections, is a key part of Grŵp Llandrillo Menai's masterplan to develop their Llangefni Campus as an internationally-renowned Energy and Engineering Training Facility.

The Link Road will also be important in mitigating the impact of traffic in Llangefni town centre.

The Cabinet Secretary officially opened sections 1 and 2 of the link road in March 2017. Section 4, the construction of new roundabout junction of the A5114 and the Bryn Cefni Industrial Estate road was opened to traffic in December.

The project as a whole has received funding from the Welsh Government, Isle of Anglesey County Council, Grŵp Llandrillo Menai and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.

Economy and Transport Secretary Ken Skates said:

“The Llangefni Link Road is a vital development which will not only enable Grŵp Llandrillo Menai to expand, but also improve access to Anglesey Enterpise Zone businesses and support the area to realise its potential for economic growth.

“All of this has been made possible thanks to a close working partnership between Welsh Government, Anglesey County Council, Grŵp Llandrillo Menai and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and is an excellent example of what can be achieved when everyone has the same goal in mind.

“I am delighted today’s announcement will see this new route completed which will provide a big boost to the area and delivers on my commitment to improve our transport network to connect communities and businesses with jobs and services.”

Anglesey Council's portfolio holder for Highways, Waste and Property, Councillor Bob Parry, said:

"We’re delighted to have secured the funding needed to complete the final section of this important infrastructure project.

"The Llangefni Link Road will help secure significant economic benefits for Llangefni and Anglesey. It will provide a key driver for the expansion of the Grŵp Llandrillo Menai campus and further training opportunities for our young people. The project will also improve access to our Enterprise Zone sites and A55 expressway, and help overcome traffic constraints in Llangefni.

“I'd like to thank the Cabinet Secretary, Ken Skates, and the Welsh Government for their continued support in bringing this project to fruition."

Dafydd Evans, CEO - Grŵp Llandrillo Menai said:

“The completion of the Llangefni link road will no doubt play an important role in the development of Llangefni, the Enterprise Zone and the surrounding region.

“For Grŵp Llandrillo Menai this project has already enabled us to embark on an ambitious plan to develop our campus in Llangefni.

“Construction of the new Engineering Centre is already well underway, it’s a development that will play a significant role in the future development and growth of the region and will ensure we have a skilled workforce to support the engineering and energy industry here on Anglesey for generations to come.”

Ruthin-based Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK will undertake the construction of final section after a competitive tender process with work expected to be completed towards the end of 2018.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I didn't realise the Stubbington Bypass was a go-er.

- Titchfield Gyratory to be made smaller.
- Online upgrade until new bypass.
- New offline B3334.
- Junction with Peak Lane appears to be signalised crossroads.
- New roundabout with existing road.

It's a shame it doesn't go all the way around, but the traffic flow has probably changed a lot since the Daedalus works anyway.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The OS 1:50k map on streetmap.co.uk shows a road under construction, in B road tan colour, running E-W for about 1km on the northern fringe of Northallerton, from the A167 to the A684. Presumably includes a bridge over the railway to Yarm and Stockton.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

wrinkly wrote:The OS 1:50k map on streetmap.co.uk shows a road under construction, in B road tan colour, running E-W for about 1km on the northern fringe of Northallerton, from the A167 to the A684. Presumably includes a bridge over the railway to Yarm and Stockton.
I hadn't heard about this before, but I've done the googles and it appears to be a developer-led project – full details are at http://www.hambleton.gov.uk/info/20172/ ... masterplan

It's part of a plan to build 900 new homes, a primary school, shops, employment opportunities and community facilities in that quadrant, spanning both sides of the A167 and the A684. The link road is down as a priority for the start of the development, and is intended to be a 30mph relief road (all other new streets in the development will be 20mph).

I can imagine that a lot of traffic to/from the Darlington direction will use this link road to avoid the queues at the level crossing, particularly at peak times.
fras

Post by fras »

Cheshire East Council are now well in progress on the third iteration of the infamous Crewe Green roundabout. This replaces the signalised roundabout and signalled T-junction put in by Cheshire County Council. Before that we had one large(ish) and one small roundabout about 25 yards apart.

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/highway ... about.aspx

The real problem is that too many busy roads come together here, and the lack of alternative routes means peak hours traffic gets seriously delayed, and if the M6 gets blocked, then chaos reigns !
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

lefthandedspanner wrote:
lefthandedspanner wrote:As of last week, work on-site has now started at Salterhebble Hill. When I went by on Friday they were clearing vegetation by the side of the road, and the northbound side was down to one lane.

The only down side is that congestion in both directions was already heavy by 1.30 pm; the Calder and Hebble was jammed solid, with a lengthy tailback onto the bypass, and the jams now last all day instead of just around peak times. If you're planning to travel into Halifax during the week, make sure you pack some sandwiches.

Still, it'll be worth it when it's finished.
Three months later, this scheme is fairly cracking on. A large amount of earth has been cleared next to Salterhebble Hill itself in preparation for the widening, and during the last week, the side of the hill has sprouted a large number of what look like the anchors for a retaining wall.

Weather permitting, I'll see if can get some photos over the weekend.
The properties alongside the road at the top of the hill have now been demolished, and the surface is starting to be laid alongside the existing road. To the north and south of the hill, a number of pavements have been moved back in order to widen the road - I have a feeling this whole project will be quite impressive when finished.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Stevie D wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 16:30
wrinkly wrote:The OS 1:50k map on streetmap.co.uk shows a road under construction, in B road tan colour, running E-W for about 1km on the northern fringe of Northallerton, from the A167 to the A684. Presumably includes a bridge over the railway to Yarm and Stockton.
I hadn't heard about this before, but I've done the googles and it appears to be a developer-led project – full details are at http://www.hambleton.gov.uk/info/20172/ ... masterplan
I came past it a couple of days ago, and when I got home I immediately started searching for info about it having not seen anything about it. I go to/through Northallerton every few months.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 20:36
lefthandedspanner wrote:
lefthandedspanner wrote:As of last week, work on-site has now started at Salterhebble Hill. When I went by on Friday they were clearing vegetation by the side of the road, and the northbound side was down to one lane.

The only down side is that congestion in both directions was already heavy by 1.30 pm; the Calder and Hebble was jammed solid, with a lengthy tailback onto the bypass, and the jams now last all day instead of just around peak times. If you're planning to travel into Halifax during the week, make sure you pack some sandwiches.

Still, it'll be worth it when it's finished.
Three months later, this scheme is fairly cracking on. A large amount of earth has been cleared next to Salterhebble Hill itself in preparation for the widening, and during the last week, the side of the hill has sprouted a large number of what look like the anchors for a retaining wall.

Weather permitting, I'll see if can get some photos over the weekend.
The properties alongside the road at the top of the hill have now been demolished, and the surface is starting to be laid alongside the existing road. To the north and south of the hill, a number of pavements have been moved back in order to widen the road - I have a feeling this whole project will be quite impressive when finished.
It will be. The funny thing is when we first looked at the WYTF we were under the impression we would never get approval to touch Salterhebble Hill so we were looking at having a stupid bottleneck in the middle of an improved corridor.

As an aside, the early drafts included re-routing the A629 onto a new corridor along Shaw Hill, South Parade, and then across to Charlestown Road so Cow Green could be made more town centre friendly.

The problem with that was the historic coal drops would have been affected and the gradient would have been 10% from South Parade to Matalan, which also was in the way.

So we kept it as a nice drawing but filed it under "not ruddy likely".

I still have some of the PDFs. I did draw them after all.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Garsty

Post by Garsty »

Locally to me the A483/A525 junction is actually being talked up as having potential work done to ease congestion https://goo.gl/maps/gSkskdPSxPR2

This junction causes no end of issue peak-times, both on the A525 is both directions and back onto the A483.

There are some simple improvements they could have made years ago but there efforts have just been around the timing of the lights. As an example, the left turn lane from A525 E to A483 N is incredibly short, it is not unusual to have that lane empty and the other two full of traffic, but with traffic unable to move into it, this also happens the other way around with all the traffic in that lane (including a few unable to move into it), which results in people crossing the double white line to move into the empty lanes, stopping up of Strytbydden (as it is only attempted to be used by brave rat-runners) and extending this lane would help massively.

In the other direction A525 W to A483 S, there isn't even a lane dedicated for heading towards Oswestry, which causes un-needed gaps in traffic and slows the A525 N down as it has to wait for traffic to turn off in the junction. Its not unusual here to be slowly creeping along from the traffic lights further towards Wrexham to then reach the junction with the B5098 and find yourself able to accelerate to full speed before the junction.

It is quite an even junction for traffic flow, so I wouldn't say any direction is particular has a greater weighting to it. Ultimately it would require more than those improvements mentioned above. Back in 2004 there were two rough sketches of possible improvements to this junction in regards to the 'Western Gateway' project for the land to the NE for offices, I can't seem to find it on the Councils website anymore but have a local copy so have attached a few images of the two options in the document.

With the want to allocate the land to the SE of the junction for thousands of houses it looks as if some 'improvements' may be on the cards, its even been mentioned in the 'North East Wales Metro' program:
gov.wales/docs/det/publications/170302-moving-north-wales-forward-en.pdf
www.wrexham.com/news/local-a483-key-con ... 49266.html
www.wrexham.com/news/calls-for-urgent-a ... 51674.html

(No matter how I attach the two image it either shows nothing or shows 4 images)
Attachments
Option2.JPG
Option2.JPG
Option1.JPG
Option2.JPG
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

This is one in the Forest of Dean that's been rumoured for a few months and was finally given a green light last week, although the scheme actually started back in March when the speed limit on the B4028 was reduced to 30.

Mile End Crossroads on the edge of Coleford will be getting new traffic lights. I must say this one has been coming for a while now as these crossroads have seen a fair few accidents over the years. The work will be starting today and will last for 2 months with 4 way temporary lights plus a 2 week closure starting next Monday. Wood Road, which bypasses and take 2 movements off the crossroads, will also be resurfaced along with the crossroads themselves, although I have seen people calling for the council to close it to through traffic.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I didn't realise this was even planned, but a tiny road called Barnfield Way has been built, with a new roundabout on Dodwell Lane and lots of space for new developments.

It is being billed as a "Hedge End Bypass", which if you look at it in context I guess it kind-of is, in the weakest possible meaning of the word.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

B4444 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2016 21:56 Vegetation clearance has taken place at either end of the Bordon 'bypass'. The southern end follows the route (in a cutting) of the Longmoor Military Railway.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/whitehill-bordon-relief-road
The full length of the Bordon "bypass" is now open

https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/tran ... rdonrelief

It will take the A325 number, with the through route being reclassified as B3002 and C114, with the existing B3002 reclasified as C176.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 14:26 I didn't realise this was even planned, but a tiny road called Barnfield Way has been built, with a new roundabout on Dodwell Lane and lots of space for new developments.

It is being billed as a "Hedge End Bypass", which if you look at it in context I guess it kind-of is, in the weakest possible meaning of the word.
It's not a Hedge End bypass just a bypass of Sundays Hill, all developer funded for the new Latitude housing development see here: http://nrpcc.com/sundays-hill-bypass-starts-on-site/
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Night works have started this week on the Sir Frank Whittle roundabout, the A426 / A4303 junction just off M1 J20. This is part of the Lutterworth East development, a new urban extension to the north-east of J20. Annoyingly I can't find any plans of the improvements, although one design report worryingly called for the removal of the island and a signalised crossroads to be installed. I hope it's just widening and signslising the existing roundabout.
As part of the development J20 is to be signalised, and (another) new bridge to built over the M1 to the north of Lutterworth.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Plans for a new Tees crossing have been downgraded. The original plan was to have included a new D2 Flyover alongside the A19 have been rejected and a new proposal to build a low level bridge alongside the Newport Bridge substituted. As it is intended to handle local traffic the idea seems to be that the new bridge will handle northbound traffic while the existing bridge will handle southbound. Improvements to the Portrack junction and approach roads will also be made. Details are still somewhat lacking and a new proposal will be drafted.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... r-15767708
Euan

Post by Euan »

The Dalry bypass in Ayrshire looks like it could open to traffic soon. There have been very few updates on it though, all that has been mentioned about it in the last year has been poor air quality in the area caused by the construction work. Although the A737 north of Dalry was temporarily closed for a time last year as well presumably when the road layout had to be altered.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Viator

Post by Viator »

darkcape wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 22:13 Night works have started this week on the Sir Frank Whittle roundabout, the A426 / A4303 junction just off M1 J20. This is part of the Lutterworth East development, a new urban extension to the north-east of J20. Annoyingly I can't find any plans of the improvements, although one design report worryingly called for the removal of the island and a signalised crossroads to be installed. I hope it's just widening and signslising the existing roundabout.
As part of the development J20 is to be signalised, and (another) new bridge to built over the M1 to the north of Lutterworth.
Plans here. Looks like it's basically just enlarging the roundabout to ease left turns plus the installation of a signalized predestrian crossing on one arm.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Viator wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 02:12
darkcape wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 22:13 Night works have started this week on the Sir Frank Whittle roundabout, the A426 / A4303 junction just off M1 J20. This is part of the Lutterworth East development, a new urban extension to the north-east of J20. Annoyingly I can't find any plans of the improvements, although one design report worryingly called for the removal of the island and a signalised crossroads to be installed. I hope it's just widening and signslising the existing roundabout.
Plans here. Looks like it's basically just enlarging the roundabout to ease left turns plus the installation of a signalized predestrian crossing on one arm.
Thanks for sharing. Underwhelming plans to be honest. The issue with this island is turning traffic, especially from A426 north to A4304 eastbound/M1. This slows traffic from A4304 east and A426 south joining. I was expecting signals not just a bit of widening. The left-turn lane on A4304 eastbound is also pointless as most traffic for town turns off earlier at Brookfield Way.

At least the memorial jet is staying!
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Viator

Post by Viator »

darkcape wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 20:03
Viator wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 02:12
Thanks for sharing. Underwhelming plans to be honest. The issue with this island is turning traffic, especially from A426 north to A4304 eastbound/M1. This slows traffic from A4304 east and A426 south joining. I was expecting signals not just a bit of widening. The left-turn lane on A4304 eastbound is also pointless as most traffic for town turns off earlier at Brookfield Way.

At least the memorial jet is staying!
Yes, as you say, the work involved hardly looks as if it is going to be on a Pharaonic scale! What I can't understand is why it will require FIVE MONTHS of overnight closures of the first 200 m or so of the A426 south of the roundabout (the main task presumably being to cut back the slopes on each corner).

I lived near Lutterworth for many years and am glad to learn that the Frank Whittle jet is to remain. Mind you, I can remember this junction before there was a roundabout here at all. ...I'm suddenly feeling very old!