Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Al__S

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Al__S »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:28
Al__S wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 16:48
Pilgrim Dan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 20:23 Is this really how a horizontal line is meant to be used?
A little further on, can anyone explain?
That’s very simple. It means red buses are on the left and blue buses are straight on. It’s only a problem if you’re looking for green or yellow buses, because they aren’t signposted.
What about purple buses?
telfordboi

Post by telfordboi »

Don’t see many signed U turns

https://goo.gl/maps/wbP2ooorbs52
Pilgrim Dan

Post by Pilgrim Dan »

Al__S wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 13:01
Al__S wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 16:48

A little further on, can anyone explain?
That’s very simple. It means red buses are on the left and blue buses are straight on. It’s only a problem if you’re looking for green or yellow buses, because they aren’t signposted.
What about purple buses?
Since the closure of the bus station and its associated coach park, the black bus symbol leads to the coach station (service coaches only), red to the city centre set down/pick up and blue to the histroric Barbican area set down/pick up.
Merge posts in turn
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Pilgrim Dan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 13:27
What about purple buses?
Since the closure of the bus station and its associated coach park, the black bus symbol leads to the coach station (service coaches only), red to the city centre set down/pick up and blue to the histroric Barbican area set down/pick up.
Presumably there's an explainer sign or two on approach roads?
scragend

Post by scragend »

For Birmingham follow M6 (S)

Good advice, except that the next gantry sign (just after the sign above), refers to "Birmingham (M6)", and then all subsequent ones between that point and the M62 just refer to "(M6)". None of them uses the expression "M6 (S)". So it isn't actually possible to follow what the sign tells you to follow.
Pilgrim Dan

Post by Pilgrim Dan »

Al__S wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 15:59
Pilgrim Dan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 13:27
What about purple buses?
Presumably there's an explainer sign or two on approach roads?
Presumably

And here you can see all 3 varients together.

Incidentally, red and blue are also used to distinguish between the 2 main bus companies on bus stops in Plymouth.
Merge posts in turn
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Bridge tolls 1 mile just before the 100 yard marker? https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3612905 ... 312!8i6656

Fairly sure that 100 yard marker has been moved backwards and the blue 1 mile sign is now located after the 100 yard marker.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Owain wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 22:53 A171 needs brackets.

They've understood the concept with "(A173)", so there's not really any excuse!
Ah, Loftus, I used to live very close to there. In this case, it looks to me like they're indicating A171 as a destination in its own right. You have to pass *through* Liverton (and Liverton Mines) to get to it. However, the lack of a destination for A171 to lead to is telling - either you'd use it to get to Whitby, which you could as easily get to by turning round on yourself, or as a long way round to Guisborough, which is signed straight ahead anyway. Or you'd use it for a short distance before turning off to reach one of the small villages in the Esk valley which aren't big enough to warrant signing in their own right.

So it's not necessarily incorrect, but it is odd.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 09:43

Ah, Loftus, I used to live very close to there. In this case, it looks to me like they're indicating A171 as a destination in its own right. You have to pass *through* Liverton (and Liverton Mines) to get to it. However, the lack of a destination for A171 to lead to is telling - either you'd use it to get to Whitby, which you could as easily get to by turning round on yourself, or as a long way round to Guisborough, which is signed straight ahead anyway. Or you'd use it for a short distance before turning off to reach one of the small villages in the Esk valley which aren't big enough to warrant signing in their own right.

I had a very enjoyable drive up the Yorkshire coast on Saturday (before ending up in Ulverston!). Some great views from both the A171 and A174.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Owain wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01
Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 09:43

I had a very enjoyable drive up the Yorkshire coast on Saturday (before ending up in Ulverston!). Some great views from both the A171 and A174.
They're both very scenic. From Guisborough you are (or were, at least) given the choice of "Whitby (via coast)" which is A173/A174, or "Whitby (via moors)" which is A171. The latter would normally be faster, the road is straighter and passes through fewer settlements, but does have a higher risk of being closed by snow. From Loftus it might *just* be quicker to get to Whitby that way, but that's not how your sign is showing it, and in the reverse direction surely A174 will be signed to Whitby (in the next village, Easington, it goes past my old house).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

On the subject of missing brackets, call me pedantic for the sake of 100yds or so but this isn't quite the B4043 at this stage. Not sure how it should read though - would Kidderminster (B4043)(A456) be correct?

Whilst I'm here I'll just state these two constant annoyances in my life. This isn't quite the A458 at this point, it's more of a spur of the A459.

And this is just plain wrong, it's the A459.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

nick_dunn wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 And this is just plain wrong, it's the A459.
Yes, it is. It has never been anything other than A459 since road classifications were brought in. (And it's another location close to where I once lived, Sedgley in this case. Turn next left, halfway down the hill ...)

vlad

Post by vlad »

As we're talking about brackets, they're on the wrong road on this sign.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Euan

Post by Euan »

vlad wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:09 As we're talking about brackets, they're on the wrong road on this sign.
That definitely looks like a mistake. It could be argued that even if the brackets were on the right road that eastbound "A523" should also appear on the sign but unbracketed. The question is whether at that stage it is close enough to the end of the road that it makes sense just to sign and bracket the number of the coming route. It does happen in other places, but usually not until very close to the junction of the number change.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Euan

Post by Euan »

nick_dunn wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 And this is just plain wrong, it's the A459.
At least that sign is fairly simple to sort out - just turn the "6" upside down!
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

That causes physical pain
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Big L wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 20:49 So much wrong in such little space.
Not to mention the "20 zone" signs in the background. I doubt that they would even be lawful if someone was prosecuted for speeding there? Oh, and we'll ignore the keep left bollard on the island.
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Dougman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 09:15
Big L wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 20:49 So much wrong in such little space.
Not to mention the "20 zone" signs in the background. I doubt that they would even be lawful if someone was prosecuted for speeding there? Oh, and we'll ignore the keep left bollard on the island.
Looks like a shopping centre further along. Private road?