CBRD Bad Junctions - A303/A34

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tommyd49

CBRD Bad Junctions - A303/A34

Post by tommyd49 »

I would like to nominate the A303/A34 for the CBRD Bad Junctions. Just look at the map - you'll see why.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I'd most definately agree with you there. Bullington cross, makes me cross!..
Anyway, there's that stupid 2-way loop road with a roundabout at each end, that it seems you have to go along just to make any damn turn on that junction. Add to that the appalling merge onto the A34 Northbound, which is a steep uphill with little mergeing room. Having to follow a HGV up that at 20 into busy traffic certainly gets the pulse going. Also theres the offslip from the A303 westbound that ends at a T-junction, I've seen that Q back up almost to the main carriageway. Can't really think of a nice thing to say about that junction.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

I actually look after that junction. I suppose (I don't know the history of why it was built that way) the reason it was built like that is that they kept the Bullington Cross Inn and the nearby Tidbury Farm Cottages. Had they not been in the way I'm sure a more conventional junction would have been provided. For a meeting of two trunk roads it does seem lacking.

Having said that, I use the junction at least 20 times a week and have NEVER waited more than one minute at any of its "arms" (this includes the W/Bound off that M4 Cardiff refers to). I agree with the comment about joining the N/bound, it can be hairy, that said we have a very low number of incidents there. The most common accidents are on the NW r/bout (A303 E/B off/on to A34 N/B off/on) where we have had a number of HGV's overturn. Don't ask why they go over, ask why all the others don't

N.B If you go in the Bully there are some photos on the wall of how the junction used to look including one with the trunk road running a few feet in front of the door of the pub. If you buy a pint, tell Spike I'm on 10% :D
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

The A303/A36 junction is strange as well, although better than this one.
Paul

Post by Paul »

A8000_Bob wrote:The A303/A36 junction is strange as well, although better than this one.
They're both very very odd, that's for sure.

For balance, the A303/A350 junction is a model of simplicity.
CJ

Post by CJ »

I've only used this junction a couple of times, but both times I was struck by how dangerously short the entry slip roads are, as you say there's barely room to accelerate to 20 mph before you're thrown into the traffic flow. Surely extending the slips wouldn't be that expensive?
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

Extending the S/bound on-slip would probably mean widening the River Dever bridge, also, to do the same on the A303 W and E/bound slips would mean widening the bridges there
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
rusty

Post by rusty »

Almost all the merges on the entire A303 are much, much too short, if you ask me. Still, I drive from one end of it to the other so it doesn't worry me all that much!

The whole of the A303 is badly under-spec. I think this is a sign of the times, though. I grew up in Kingsworthy in the 80s, and there was so little traffic on the A303 that my mum managed on at least one occasion to do a U-turn with no problems at all. Mind you, the only reason why she needed to was that Bullington Cross is so confusing we ended up going the wrong way. It still makes me lose my bearings even now.

But at least it's better than a big roundabout where everyone has to stop.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.