OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: New project for 2018 - OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by Steven »

A pretty large batch from 1968 has now been uploaded, thanks to them all dropping out of copyright at the end of last year.

* Sheet 133 (Northampton) Revision B
* Sheet 134 (Huntingdon and Peterborough) Revision B
* Sheet 136 (Bury St Edmunds) Revision B
* Sheet 145 (Banbury) Revision B
* Sheet 146 (Buckingham) Revision B
* Sheet 147 (Bedford and Luton) Revision B
* Sheet 148 (Saffron Walden) Revision B
* Sheet 157 (Swindon) Revision B
* Sheet 159 (The Chilterns) Revision B
* Sheet 188 (Torquay) Revision B

That's basically a huge part of England across the south east Midlands and the Home Counties, so there's tons to see on there!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Oh, and two more from 1967, both thanks to Nicholas:

* Sheet 141 (Brecon) Revision B
* Sheet 155 (Bristol and Newport) Revision B

I really like the Bristol and Newport one as we have the A///* revision that was published literally 12 months prior (September both years) to compare against. Whilst the completion of the M4 to the east of the Hambrook Spur (now M32) is a headline, I particularly like that M5 J16 on the 1966 map does not have its flyover in place - all traffic would have used the roundabout on its way to access the M4; yet on the 1967 map the flyover is in place. M4 J23 (now 23A) at Magor is also shown differently - which one is actually correct? Or are both?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Steven wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:55...I particularly like that M5 J16 on the 1966 map does not have its flyover in place - all traffic would have used the roundabout on its way to access the M4; yet on the 1967 map the flyover is in place.
I wonder if the roundabout would have been overloaded before the flyover was added? Maybe not as the M5 wouldn't have really gone anywhere until the Avonmouth Bridge was built.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

A couple of things I've just thought about:

-There can't be many 7th Series One Inch maps left that are still in copyright- I only know of one sheet (78 Newcastle Upon Tyne's last two additions, which won't be out of copyright until 2022) that isn't out of copyright, and there can't be many others left.

-What is the 'All' layer meant to represent? All of the UK in a particular year? The first 7th series edition of each One Inch map? I realise not all of the maps on that layer have their edition known, but for the ones that do, what determines which edition is on that layer? Also, the All layer is missing sheets 1, 2, 3, 4, 41 and 57, even though editions of those sheets are availiable on at least one of the year layers. (We still need to get an edition of sheets 40 and 50.)
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Mattemotorway wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 15:23 -There can't be many 7th Series One Inch maps left that are still in copyright- I only know of one sheet (78 Newcastle Upon Tyne's last two additions, which won't be out of copyright until 2022) that isn't out of copyright, and there can't be many others left.
There is a surprisingly large number, mostly in southern England but there are a couple of Scottish ones still.

There is the current status available for every edition on the project page on the SABRE Wiki at SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project; where still in-copyright maps are marked with black squares. The final one to go out of copyright is Sheet 154 (Cardiff) Revision D which isn't out until 1 January 2024.

All the revisions on the page marked with a white square are ones we don't have yet, so if anyone has those and are willing to either scan them or lend them out for scanning purposes, please let me know!
-What is the 'All' layer meant to represent? All of the UK in a particular year? The first 7th series edition of each One Inch map? I realise not all of the maps on that layer have their edition known, but for the ones that do, what determines which edition is on that layer?
Nothing so complex I'm afraid. The "All" layer is simply Ritchie's original Seventh Series layer that attempted to get a single copy of every sheet online, so they're a fairly random mix of early revisions from various sources, a number of which are missing their margins so we have no clue short of scouring the map and comparing them to a "known" revision as to confirming their revision. "All" is a rubbish name, but I can't think of anything better that's nice and short and won't break the UI even more than it already is.
Also, the All layer is missing sheets 1, 2, 3, 4, 41 and 57, even though editions of those sheets are availiable on at least one of the year layers. (We still need to get an edition of sheets 40 and 50.)
It is, yes. That's because I haven't done anything with that layer (deliberately) until we work out exactly what to do with it - it's nice to have the full visibility of every sheet, but having all-GB layers is also good. It may be that we change it to all first revisions, all "A" revisions, or simply what would have been the available maps on sale in say, 1961 which we might repeat for other dates. Once we have everything, we can really do whatever we like with the only constraints being tiling time and server storage.

As for sheets 40 and 50, we do have revisions of them in the pipeline (as in, they've been scanned but not georeferenced or tiled) but I've not got to them yet.
Steven
Motorway Historian

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project :
Seventh Series cover
Final series cover

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of the One Inch Seventh Series and associated maps.

This was the first Ordnance Survey mapping at the One Inch scale to be a single series across the whole of Great Britain, and is useful for us to have as it shows mapping at a relatively detailed scale during the major

... Read More
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Thank you for the insight! If the last edition of sheet 154 isn't out of copyright until 2024, then that would give its copyright date as 1973. I'm surprised they were still doing completely new editions of the 7th Series as late as that, since the 1:50000 (Landranger) maps were soon to be launched!
Steven wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 16:06 That's because I haven't done anything with that layer (deliberately) until we work out exactly what to do with it - it's nice to have the full visibility of every sheet, but having all-GB layers is also good. It may be that we change it to all first revisions, all "A" revisions, or simply what would have been the available maps on sale in say, 1961 which we might repeat for other dates. Once we have everything, we can really do whatever we like with the only constraints being tiling time and server storage.
1961 would be perfect really, as that's the date the last 6th Series/New Popular edition One Inch maps were replaced by 7th Series sheets. I like the idea of repeating it for other dates, but I realise that would probably take a lot of time and effort to do.
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Last batch for today, honest! These lot are all available on the 1966 layer:

* Sheet 49 (Blairgowrie) Revision A//
* Sheet 107 (Snowdon) Revision B/*
* Sheet 121 (Derby and Leicester) Revision B/*

Whilst the two mostly rural sheets are interesting, my favourite bit is the M1 extension being shown on the Derby and Leicester sheet as being open as far north as the A52. The northbound sliproads are also shown as being open, as is the mainline through the junction - only to abruptly become under construction as soon as the slips join!
Steven
Motorway Historian

RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Steven wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 20:52 Last batch for today, honest! These lot are all available on the 1966 layer:

* Sheet 49 (Blairgowrie) Revision A//
* Sheet 107 (Snowdon) Revision B/*
* Sheet 121 (Derby and Leicester) Revision B/*

Whilst the two mostly rural sheets are interesting, my favourite bit is the M1 extension being shown on the Derby and Leicester sheet as being open as far north as the A52. The northbound sliproads are also shown as being open, as is the mainline through the junction - only to abruptly become under construction as soon as the slips join!
Being far too pedantic, I know, but, to me, the features are shown as "complete and existing" - a physical state - as opposed to "open" which is the same features subject to a human or political action and, of course, "the representation of a road is no evidence of the existence of a right of way" :lol:
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

RichardA35 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 22:08 Being far too pedantic, I know, but, to me, the features are shown as "complete and existing" - a physical state - as opposed to "open" which is the same features subject to a human or political action and, of course, "the representation of a road is no evidence of the existence of a right of way" :lol:
That's true - it's just normally when in that state the roads are shown in white rather than red, hence it attracted my attention as being mapped unusually. :D
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Another pile of maps today uploaded. with again a number being thanks to Nicholas:

* Sheet 78 (Newcastle upon Tyne) Revision C
* Sheet 108 (Denbigh) Revision B/*
* Sheet 138/151 (Fishguard and Pembroke) Revision C
* Sheet 154 (Cardiff) Revision C
* Sheet 165 (Weston-super-Mare) Revision A//*

* Sheet 67 (Ayr) Revision B
* Sheet 134 (Huntingdon and Peterborough) Revision A///*

Enjoy!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

This week I have mostly been taking advantage of being ill and not up to doing much beyond sitting at a screen. Hence, the following additions:

* Sheet 46 (Loch Linnhe) Revision A//
* Sheet 123 (Spalding) Revision B
* Sheet 148 (Saffron Walden) Revision A///*

The two English sheets are thanks to Nicholas's map collection.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 23:24The Manchester sheet is always fun, featuring parts of M56 and A5103 with unfinished junctions at either end; a couple of mapping errors showing the M56 Airport Spur as being unclassified as are the slip roads at J4; a mostly built M62/M63/M602 junction; the first section of M66; and something that I can't recall seeing on any other map - "City Centre" marked as a district name.
This sheet is brilliant. What on earth is going on with Princess Parkway here? They've actually marked it as following a B-road for a short distance.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 20:10
Steven wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 23:24The Manchester sheet is always fun, featuring parts of M56 and A5103 with unfinished junctions at either end; a couple of mapping errors showing the M56 Airport Spur as being unclassified as are the slip roads at J4; a mostly built M62/M63/M602 junction; the first section of M66; and something that I can't recall seeing on any other map - "City Centre" marked as a district name.
This sheet is brilliant. What on earth is going on with Princess Parkway here? They've actually marked it as following a B-road for a short distance.
Presumably it's just a temporary layout when connecting the "new" Princess Parkway that we all know and love (?) today to the original version. It is quite a good one though!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Some more sheets on the 1962 layer went live last night:

* Sheet 40 (Aberdeen) Revision A/
* Sheet 45 (Sound of Mull) Revision A/
* Sheet 111 (Buxton and Matlock) Revision B
* Sheet 125 (Fakenham) Revision A//
* Sheet 143 (Gloucester and Malvern) Revision A//*/*
* Sheet 172 (Chatham and Maidstone) Revision A/*/

Sheet 40 is the first revision of that sheet that we have online, leaving us with just sheet 50 to go (and one of those is in the pipeline and should appear fairly soon). Sheet 143 adds the rest of the then-brand new M5 and M50 to our coverage, which is nice to see. And finally Sheet 172 is both the earliest sheet (so far) with the A20(M) on it, and is also one of those rare sheets where two revisions were printed in a single year. Following the discovery of an error on the previous revision (A/*), this was rushed out of the door instead. Because we can only show a single revision per year, this one has been shifted onto the 1962 layer, despite actually being printed in late 1961.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And before close of play today, another bunch of maps - this time on the 1961 layer.

They are:

* Sheet 41 (Braemar) Revision A/
* Sheet 50 (Forfar) Revision A/
* Sheet 103 (Doncaster) Revision B
* Sheet 135 (Cambridge and Ely) Revision A//
* Sheet 154 (Cardiff) Revision B/
* Sheet 160 (London NW) Revision A//
* Sheet 162 (Southend on Sea) Revision A/
* Sheet 165 (Weston-super-Mare) Revision A/
* Sheet 177 (Taunton and Lyme Regis) Revision A

That's quite a lot! The final "missing" sheet (50) makes an appearance, the A1(M) Doncaster Bypass is on sheet 103 in all its newly opened glory, there's a massive patch of Glamorgan, Monmouthshire and Somerset in place now as well as more of London.

With the addition of the Weston-super-Mare sheet, it's also now allowed us to identify that the unknown revision on the "All" layer is actually the A revision from 1958, so that is now identified on the "All" layer and will be added to the 1958 layer in due course.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

After another busy couple of weeks, the next batch of maps, this time from 1960, are now online - some thanks to Nicholas.

They are:

* Sheet 122 (Melton Mowbray) Revision A/
* Sheet 134 (Huntingdon and Peterborough) Revision A//
* Sheet 142 (Hereford) Revision A//
* Sheet 151 (Pembroke) Revision A//
* Sheet 153 (Swansea) Revision B/*
* Sheet 179 (Bournemouth) Revision A
* Sheet 182 (Brighton and Worthing) Revision A
* Sheet 183 (Eastbourne) Revision A

This lot have shown up two things. Firstly, the "best guesses" of the unknown revisions of Sheets 134 and 151 were both shown to be wrong! Secondly, it means that for large parts of the south coast, we now have every out-of-copyright revision, which is nice.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Only one map was in the pipeline for the 1959 layer, and it is now available.

It is Sheet 115 (Pwllheli) Revision B/.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Three more maps have now been added to the 1958 layer, but only two of them are new...

The new ones are:
* Sheet 28 (Inverness) Revision A
* Sheet 161 (London NE) Revision A

In addition, sheet 165 (Weston-super-Mare) Revision A was previously identified as being on the all-GB layer, and as this is the first time I've done anything with the correct year layer since the identification, it's been added as well.

The Seventh Series pipeline is also now looking relatively empty compared with earlier in the year, so I'll just put the request out again - anyone with a revision that's currently missing on SABRE Maps, and is willing to either scan the map; or lend it to me for scanning purposes; then please get in touch!

The current list of available maps is published on the SABRE Wiki.
Steven
Motorway Historian

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project#Progress by every sheet ever printed :
Seventh Series cover
Final series cover

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of the One Inch Seventh Series and associated maps.

This was the first Ordnance Survey mapping at the One Inch scale to be a single series across the whole of Great Britain, and is useful for us to have as it shows mapping at a relatively detailed scale during the major

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The pipeline maps from 1957 are now in the process of being uploaded.

They are:
* Sheet 26 (Lochcarron) Revision A
* Sheet 54 (Stirling) Revision A
* Sheet 72 (Girvan) Revision A/
* Sheet 116 (Dolgellau) Revision A/

This means that we've managed to add another sheet (Stirling) to the list of sheets where every revision published is now online.

In addition, the unknown revision of Sheet 53 (Loch Lomond) on the full layer has been confirmed to be the A/ revision from 1958, so I'll be looking to add that to the relevant annual layer in due course.

EDIT: Sheet 64 (Berwick upon Tweed)'s unknown revision is also confirmed to be the A/ revision, this time from 1960; whilst the unknown Sheet 67 (Ayr) is A/ from 1958.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

I've had some chance today for the first time in a few weeks to do something more with Maps.

So, to celebrate, there's a number of early Seventh Series maps been added, some thanks again to Nicholas:

Sheet 136 (Bury St Edmunds) Revision A
Sheet 145 (Banbury) Revision A
Sheet 146 (Buckingham) Revision A
Sheet 156 (Bristol and Stroud) Revision A

Sheet 86 (Redcar and Whitby) Revision A
Sheet 152 (Carmarthen and Tenby) Revision B

Sheet 59 (Firth of Clyde) Revision A
Sheet 79 (Stranraer) Revision A/
Sheet 81 (Dalbeattie) Revision A
Sheet 85 (Durham) Revision A
Sheet 136 (Bury St Edmunds) Revision A/
Sheet 151 (Pembroke) Revision A/

Enjoy!
Steven
Motorway Historian