A1 and A1(M) signage errors

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

A1 and A1(M) signage errors

Post by roadphotos »

As I traveled down the A1 recently I couldn't help but notice that there seems to be a lack of signage and some incorrect signs along the route. The first thing I noticed is that when traveling north the sign at the Peterborough junction says Stamford A1(M) as the destination and road number for straight ahead at the junction even though after this junction the road is not a motorway. The next thing when traveling north is the section of motorway East of Leeds where all of the overhead signs say A1 when they should say A1(M). The signs on the southbound A1(M) are the same along this section of motorway. When heading south after passing Darlington the signs for Junction 56 don't appear to have the junction number on them, does anyone know why this is ?. Then there's the new section of A1(M) where the signs at Junction 51 don't mention the Coneygarth Truckstop until your halfway down the slip road yet the rest area at Learning Bar is well signposted on the mainline A1(M) even though it's further from the junction. I also thought I'd give a mention about the fact that when traveling south after passing Doncaster the A1(M) becomes the A1 again at Blyth but there are no end of motorway signs.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A1 and A1(M) signage errors

Post by c2R »

roadphotos wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 21:05 I also thought I'd give a mention about the fact that when traveling south after passing Doncaster the A1(M) becomes the A1 again at Blyth but there are no end of motorway signs.

It got hit and never replaced, becuase it was put in an unexpected position:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.390666, ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

c2R wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 23:02
roadphotos wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 21:05 I also thought I'd give a mention about the fact that when traveling south after passing Doncaster the A1(M) becomes the A1 again at Blyth but there are no end of motorway signs.
It got hit and never replaced, becuase it was put in an unexpected position:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.390666, ... 312!8i6656
More penny-pinching on the legals from HA/HE. Compare with the western end of the M56.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The signs from the Hook Moor section by Leeds have been that way for years as they date from before the sections either side of it being upgraded to motorway.

Regarding J56 there used to be this sign before the Leeming to Barton section was completed which has now gone.

Ironically though the northbound signs at J49 used to be wrong before the Dishforth to Leeming bit was done as they were always signed A1(M).

And talking of lack of signage, I remember when there was no distances on the first of the J65 gantries. I think it says 1/3m on there now.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5