The Great C Road hunt!

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Steven »

Geographer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:16 When I entered the OS Ref to & from in the Routebox it showed the number twice - how do I correct this?
It's because you've put it in the wrong format.

If you follow the instructions on the help Wiki Guide page it tells you how to use SABRE Maps to find the grid references (and lat and lon) which uses the correct format that you need.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Geographer

Post by Geographer »

I have created a page for the U2610 but unfortunately I have missed a bracket off the title, I can not see how to correct it.

U2610Suffolk)

Can someone please help solve this?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Fixed; I moved the page.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Unfortunately though, that's not a Class III road. It's unclassified, hence shouldn't have an article unless it's notable for some other reason.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Geographer

Post by Geographer »

I do accept what you say, but what else do I put in the class box - U road and unclassified does'nt work.
Geographer

Post by Geographer »

Thank you c2R
Geographer

Post by Geographer »

I have just discovered that unclassified in lower case does work
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Geographer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 22:28 I do accept what you say, but what else do I put in the class box - U road and unclassified does'nt work.
You shouldn't, because the article shouldn't exist unless it's a particularly notable unclassified road. If all that can be written is a basic couple of sentences "it goes from here to here via here", then it's clearly not notable enough.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Geographer

Post by Geographer »

Steven - I understand what you are saying but it is still a road with a name maintained by the County Council all be it unclassified.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Geographer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 Steven - I understand what you are saying but it is still a road with a name maintained by the County Council all be it unclassified.
All the footpaths maintained by Suffolk County Council also have numbers (prefixed by "F") allocated by them. Do you wish to write articles for every footpath? What value does that bring?

This is why the line is drawn at Class III roads unless there is a very good reason for a specific unclassified road to have an article.

It's not the fact that a number is allocated that is important - it's the fact that it is a Class III (or Classified Unnumbered) road. Unclassified roads are just not important enough, whether the local authority chooses to number them all or not.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Geographer

Post by Geographer »

Steven - No I do not want to document footpaths on here that is one of things geograph.org.uk is for, I can see that you have to draw the line somewhere. I can see this site would not want Byways as very often they are tracks but most U Roads are tarmaced.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Geographer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 16:14 most U Roads are tarmaced.
So is the little residential cul-de-sac I live on. It is also an unclassified road in exactly the same way as the roads you are concentrating on. It is also utterly unremarkable and should not have an article.

So what is the difference other than the local authority doing things in a different way?

I'm sure that there are lots of actual Class III roads near to you which will have value on the SABRE Wiki.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04
Geographer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 Steven - I understand what you are saying but it is still a road with a name maintained by the County Council all be it unclassified.
All the footpaths maintained by Suffolk County Council also have numbers (prefixed by "F") allocated by them. Do you wish to write articles for every footpath? What value does that bring?

This is why the line is drawn at Class III roads unless there is a very good reason for a specific unclassified road to have an article.

It's not the fact that a number is allocated that is important - it's the fact that it is a Class III (or Classified Unnumbered) road. Unclassified roads are just not important enough, whether the local authority chooses to number them all or not.
The slight difficulty with Class III roads is that not all councils have numbering schemes for such roads (I'm unaware of any such scheme in Birmingham, for instance), and that councils differ in how they identify their roads, even when they do number them; while many councils *do* call them "C" roads, Wolverhampton, for one, uses "U" instead. There is no national standard for this.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Geographer

Post by Geographer »

Steven - Thank you for your reply. There are lots of Class III roads near to me that I do intend to submit.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Apologies for the delay, but I have now more or less covered the class III network in County Fermanagh after reaching the fourth significant gap in he NI class III numbering sequence (C453-C500 are all unused). The only exception to this may be a couple of C7xx numbers near the border which could crop up at the end, as is the case with Belfast. County Fermanagh seems to have been originally allocated the C401-C500 number range with C452 being the highest used number.

The numbering roughly follows this order in geographical terms:
The distribution of the numbers can therefore be broken down into rough groups as follows:
:arrow: C401 - C413 North Fermanagh/Kesh/Irvinestown
:arrow: C414 - C423 Enniskillen to Fivemiletown
:arrow: C424 - C430 Rosslea/Lisnaskea/Newtownbutler
:arrow: C431 - C436 Upper Lough Erne
:arrow: C437 - C448 West Fermanagh/Belcoo/Garrison
:arrow: C449 - C452 misc
Of these numbers only C410, C420, C432 and C437 are not currently in use with the C410 never being used and the other three being defunct. I presume C449 to be out of sequence as it is located to the east of Belcoo amongst the low C440s rather than out towards the far west of the county with other like-numbers.

Compared with other counties that I have covered so far the geographical sequence for Fermanagh seems to be much more straightforward with just a simple clockwise circuit of the two main loughs, rather than all of the zigzagging and hopping back and forth that is common elsewhere. Next is County Londonderry/Derry.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
scott125

Post by scott125 »

Roadworks sign in Balfron was showing C321
Clygro

Post by Clygro »

I remember seeing some Cxx & Cx signs for the M20 during roadworks about a year ago, they are obviously some construction marker. Any more details?
I’ve visited these Roads; A11(2019) A14(2019)M11(2012, 2013 and 2019) and M3(2015, 2017 and 2018)
Euan

Post by Euan »

All of the County Londonderry/Derry C routes have now been added to the wiki as I have reached the fifth significant gap in the NI class III numbering sequence consisting of the C583-C600 numbers. The county appears to have been allocated the C501-C600 range to start off with and C582 is the highest number currently in use.

Up to C567 the routes follow a reasonable geographical sequence with higher numbers being allocated to Derry city and other urban areas. The rural sequence goes a bit like this:
The distribution of the numbers can therefore be broken down into rough groups as follows:
:arrow: C501 - C516 - Derry surroundings/Eglinton/Claudy
:arrow: C517 - C532 - Dungiven/Limavady
:arrow: C533 - C545 - Coleraine/North Lower Bann
:arrow: C546 - C556 - Maghera/Eastern Sperrins
:arrow: C557 - C567 - Magherafelt/NW Lough Neagh
:arrow: C568 - C582 - Derry city/others
Of these numbers only C541 and C569 appear to not currently be in use and I haven't thus far found any evidence of usage in the past. The higher numbers in the range being allocated to urban roads isn't really anything new as it happens in numerous places in NI and elsewhere, but the C570 in Limavady seems like an outlier given that all the other "urban" numbers are allocated much closer to Derry.

That is five counties complete, just Tyrone left to do now...
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Euan

Post by Euan »

The C612 (Northern Ireland) must surely be a strong contender for the UK's longest C road at 39 miles and I won't expect to find any longer ones within Tyrone or elsewhere in NI. Certainly it is longer than any route in Scotland that I'm aware of (the C147 (North Ayrshire) which is the old A841 around the south and west of Arran is the longest one in Scotland, I believe) although I'm not so sure about England or Wales. For anyone interested, 39 miles is the distance to beat!

From the SABRE Wiki: C612 (Northern Ireland) :

The C612 is easily Northern Ireland's longest class III route and at a total length of 62km, quite possibly the longest in the whole of the UK. It connects vast swathes of rural County Tyrone on its long journey which starts on the A29 in Cookstown. The road follows Orritor Road westwards out of the town along what used to be numbered as the A53, as far as Orritor itself. The road continues beyond the end of the former A53

... Read More
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Euan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 13:07 The C612 (Northern Ireland) must surely be a strong contender for the UK's longest C road at 39 miles and I won't expect to find any longer ones within Tyrone or elsewhere in NI. Certainly it is longer than any route in Scotland that I'm aware of (the C147 (North Ayrshire) which is the old A841 around the south and west of Arran is the longest one in Scotland, I believe) although I'm not so sure about England or Wales. For anyone interested, 39 miles is the distance to beat!
I think you might be right - I don't think there's anything anywhere near that long in England or Wales. I'll see if I can get dpl to output a table automatically, although it's a bit tricky as distances are stored in either miles or km - we really should have used km and done automatic translation in the background rather than accepting either :(
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: C612 (Northern Ireland) :

The C612 is easily Northern Ireland's longest class III route and at a total length of 62km, quite possibly the longest in the whole of the UK. It connects vast swathes of rural County Tyrone on its long journey which starts on the A29 in Cookstown. The road follows Orritor Road westwards out of the town along what used to be numbered as the A53, as far as Orritor itself. The road continues beyond the end of the former A53

... Read More