Best Named Roundabout

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Potholes ate my car

Re: Best Named Roundabout

Post by Potholes ate my car »

(M7) wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 21:05
Was92now625 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 20:50
Thanks. I remember seeing this one in the seventies.
Still don't know what a Whirlie is!
I'm not sure where the roundabout got its name, but round here a whirly is a rotary clothes line.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Potholes ate my car wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 14:51
(M7) wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 21:05
Was92now625 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 20:50
Thanks. I remember seeing this one in the seventies.
Still don't know what a Whirlie is!
I'm not sure where the roundabout got its name, but round here a whirly is a rotary clothes line.
Apparently the rotary clothes line that is one of the very few modern inventions to have originated from Australia.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

trickstat wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 15:50
Potholes ate my car wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 14:51
(M7) wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 21:05 Still don't know what a Whirlie is!
Apparently the rotary clothes line that is one of the very few modern inventions to have originated from Australia.
Along with the hat with corks dangling from the brim?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

There's the Müller Roundabout in Market Drayton, complete with Umlaut!
Built for comfort, not speed.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

rhyds wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 16:11 There's the Müller Roundabout in Market Drayton, complete with Umlaut!
Looks like a dangerous precedent, although I suppose there might be money to be made from sponsorship. If football clubs can name their stadia after their sponsors why not highway authorities their junctions?

No scrub that we'd soon have Richard Branson sponsoring roundabouts; that would be virgin on the ridiculous.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

the cheesecake man wrote:
rhyds wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 16:11 There's the Müller Roundabout in Market Drayton, complete with Umlaut!
Looks like a dangerous precedent, although I suppose there might be money to be made from sponsorship. If football clubs can name their stadia after their sponsors why not highway authorities their junctions?

No scrub that we'd soon have Richard Branson sponsoring roundabouts; that would be virgin on the ridiculous.
Considering that there's a ruddy big Müller dairy just off said roundabout its a perfectly reasonable name.
Built for comfort, not speed.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Is Jiggers roundabout in/near Telford still there? I remember it from a family holiday in Ironbridge in 1992 and it amused me greatly!!
BOH

Post by BOH »

There is one near me on the A31 near Ferndown called the "David Phipps Roundabout" by some local radio stations when describing traffic delays. However to most people living more than a few miles away and of course visitors to the area, this means absolutely NOTHING. It is really unhelpful when a traffic report is read out and says, "there are currently long westbound delays at the David Phipps roundabout on the A31" without also mentioning the vital location.

One particular radio station in the area covers the A31 from pretty much Alton to Bere Regis - probably some 60-70 or so miles therefore the information is utterly meaningless to many in trying to plan an alternative route :confused: :confused:
zapalniczka

Post by zapalniczka »

Golden Balls Roundabout always made me chuckle.

https://goo.gl/maps/5z1pzCJEBWSmNXtF8
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

James1978 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 20:48 Is Jiggers roundabout in/near Telford still there? I remember it from a family holiday in Ironbridge in 1992 and it amused me greatly!!
Sure is - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jigge ... d-2.495245
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

rhyds wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 17:57
the cheesecake man wrote:

Considering that there's a ruddy big Müller dairy just off said roundabout its a perfectly reasonable name.
That name was an excellent moooove in that case. But in general naming junctions after businesses would be a bad thing IMHO.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

I'm surprised it's not called Muller Corner, actually. :lol:
vlad

Post by vlad »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 17:39

If Toyota and the Met Office can "sponsor" roundabouts then why not Müller? :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
TS

Post by TS »

alice wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 15:50 Monkey's Jump in Dorchester is also a great name
Does anyone know how it got its name? I've never found out. (Sadly, the name is unsigned on the road.)

Meanwhile, one roundabout in Bristol is so good they named it twice!
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... Roundabout

From the SABRE Wiki: Wick Wick Roundabout :

Only in Bristol could you get away with calling a junction Wick Wick Roundabout! This is the point where the A4174 Avon Ring Road crosses the A432 to Yate. As such it is a busy junction, with traffic signals to try and improve the flow. Heading north, the A432 almost immediately crosses the M4, and the motorway runs more or less parallel to the A4174 to the west of the junction. This, coincidentally, is also the first stretch of the infamous 2+ lane.

|

... Read More
vlad

Post by vlad »

Trench Lock Interchange in Telford.

There must be some etymological reason for calling it that but it still seems weird.

It's not too easy to navigate either.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath

From the SABRE Wiki: Trench Lock Interchange :

Trench Lock Interchange is a junction in Telford. It was originally to be called Trench Lodge Interchange but the name changed before construction began. In common with other junctions in new towns the layout evolved over time. Early proposals show a trumpet to the north of the railway line. This quickly changed to a roundabout interchange. In 1972 six options were compared. The top three designs have the A518 meeting the A442 at this junction. The bottom three

... Read More
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

vlad wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 20:03 Trench Lock Interchange in Telford.

There must be some etymological reason for calling it that but it still seems weird.

It's not too easy to navigate either.
There is a suburb of Telford called Trench, and Trench Lock may be related to a canal inclined plane which existed in that area between 1793 and 1921:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench,_Telford

From the SABRE Wiki: Trench Lock Interchange :

Trench Lock Interchange is a junction in Telford. It was originally to be called Trench Lodge Interchange but the name changed before construction began. In common with other junctions in new towns the layout evolved over time. Early proposals show a trumpet to the north of the railway line. This quickly changed to a roundabout interchange. In 1972 six options were compared. The top three designs have the A518 meeting the A442 at this junction. The bottom three

... Read More
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

TS wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 16:34
Meanwhile, one roundabout in Bristol is so good they named it twice!
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... Roundabout
That's my old patch.

I remember discussing with my line manager at the time the idea of placing two SLOW markings before the nameplate for that roundabout along with a third identical marking just beyond it...
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman

From the SABRE Wiki: Wick Wick Roundabout :

Only in Bristol could you get away with calling a junction Wick Wick Roundabout! This is the point where the A4174 Avon Ring Road crosses the A432 to Yate. As such it is a busy junction, with traffic signals to try and improve the flow. Heading north, the A432 almost immediately crosses the M4, and the motorway runs more or less parallel to the A4174 to the west of the junction. This, coincidentally, is also the first stretch of the infamous 2+ lane.

|

... Read More
Herned

Post by Herned »

nowster wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 19:25
Shame there's not a like button on this forum, that deserves a round of applause

I always found Tally Ho Corner amusing, although it's not strictly a roundabout
the cheesecake man

nowster wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 19:25
:lol: :laugh:

In winter it could be renamed Mullerice! __ :coat:
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

BOH wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 09:38 There is one near me on the A31 near Ferndown called the "David Phipps Roundabout" by some local radio stations when describing traffic delays. However to most people living more than a few miles away and of course visitors to the area, this means absolutely NOTHING. It is really unhelpful when a traffic report is read out and says, "there are currently long westbound delays at the David Phipps roundabout on the A31" without also mentioning the vital location.

One particular radio station in the area covers the A31 from pretty much Alton to Bere Regis - probably some 60-70 or so miles therefore the information is utterly meaningless to many in trying to plan an alternative route :confused: :confused:
It sounds like your problem is that you are relying on an outdated medium to help you navigate. Listeners ("who pay the wages") are complaining that the travel reports are too long. There is no opportunity to add any additional words. Either you use the name locals know or you use a reference nobody knows.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham