Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Worcestershire Wolf

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Worcestershire Wolf »

This example advising "prohibited all vehicles" is still there in Dew Street in Haverfordwest:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@51.7986 ... 384!8i8192
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I have just been and the cheeky sausages in Chatham Dockyard have replaced all their old signs with new ones even though they had no obligation to. I doubt anyone has photos of the originals or knows when they were changed over. Shame especially as they would have been the last pre-1950s white on red signs in the entire world (remember many commonwealth countries had the same signs and quite a few have remained).

I do wonder if the LT no entry made on their font counts too as BR made road signs on their own font for level crossings which ran alongside the government style, what do we think?

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Berk wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 03:19
The two Worboys examples both appear to be just farms, or farmsteads. Is that a first: naming a place too small to benefit from regular signage??
I have various obscure places on both old and new signs. Basically anywhere people might need to get to, including hospitals, churches, road names and the like all count for signs. This is to another road and a hill for example.

B1040

Post by B1040 »

I was in Walberswick and was going to confirm the continuing existence of the B1387 sign.
But it was done recently.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

B1040 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 21:13 I was in Walberswick and was going to confirm the continuing existence of the B1387 sign.
But it was done recently.
Wow, I didn't know it was there, only the danger turnings etc sign, I went into the village after to take photos and get some food from the shop and saw it opposite by pure chance. And it was possibly the only direction sign left in Suffolk besides one for 'to the main road'. I suppose the luck does even out as I've missed some by months as well. If you mean done as in photographed yes that was me. I'd seen it online but didn't know where it was or whether it had lasted that long.
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I've seen a couple of signs change their number of lines in the past but this is the first of these, middle of Gloucestershire.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Captain, we have identified a sign in Oxfordshire with our font scan, it appeared to be pre-Worboys, but our dating puts it at 2006

Interesting Spock. Pre-Worboys signs ceased to be made in 1964, yet this clearly appears on the surface to be one but was made forty years later. What do you suggest for our classification?

I am in two minds captain. Logically if it is made according to the standard, then surely the date it was made doesn't matter? Had they not stopped them then they would have carried on making them in the same way. This even has pressed letters.

I think we must send this one to Starfleet council. It is the first time we have come across anything like this.

Agreed captain, Spock out.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

A lovely example in March, the only other I know similar remaining is in Manchester. Does anyone know what colour it was when it was made?

Sirsquinn

Post by Sirsquinn »

Ive just joined this forum for the only reason to show these two signs to people who might appreciate them.

It was over a year ago when I took these photos however the signs are still there now. There is another give way sign nearby but with a hollow background.

They are located in Rawdon on the outskirts of Leeds (LS19).

Enjoy

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

An absolute beauty albeit lichen enhanced spotted in Hemel Hempstead. I now have P private cars only, private cars only and this one.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Sirsquinn wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:27 Ive just joined this forum for the only reason to show these two signs to people who might appreciate them.

It was over a year ago when I took these photos however the signs are still there now. There is another give way sign nearby but with a hollow background.

They are located in Rawdon on the outskirts of Leeds (LS19).

Enjoy

Thanks a lot sirsquinn, much appreciated, and both new to the internet. Oddly the circle belongs above the sign, and presumably each had the other part originally but now each has lost its partner. It's also the first solid circle we've seen, they were made that way to stop them getting bent out of shape.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

The first pre-Woyboys sign that's turned up in the borough of Islington, on a public road in a council estate so definitely official.

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Nicely repainted (since Google's last visit) pair in rural Wales.
BigLIMG_0356.jpg
BigLIMG_0360.jpg
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Big L wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 16:24 Nicely repainted (since Google's last visit) pair in rural Wales.

BigLIMG_0356.jpg
BigLIMG_0360.jpg
Is the backing board supposed to be black? I thought blue? But maybe I'm just recalling too many faded local pre-Worboys signs.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 02:37
Big L wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 16:24 Nicely repainted (since Google's last visit) pair in rural Wales.

BigLIMG_0356.jpg
BigLIMG_0360.jpg
Is the backing board supposed to be black? I thought blue? But maybe I'm just recalling too many faded local pre-Worboys signs.
There were different colour schemes for signs in towns and in rural areas. Signs that would have used blue backing boards in a town were black in the countryside. I’ve never found a vet satisfactory reason why, but those were the rules.

In the same way, signs for major roads were white in the countryside and yellow in towns.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I'd describe this as a work of art in Petersfield. It sends people left to the park as straight on has no road access. I went to see it afterwards, it was very nice and lots of dogs out for walks.

roadsignfan

Post by roadsignfan »

I found this old fingerpost sign in Overpool
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.29310 ... authuser=0
I love to use google map to find a cool thing.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

This cheeky one could easily be missed. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.32179 ... 312!8i6656
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Another streetview find in Corsham, there's a modern one on the other side of the car park.

There were also two of these round the corner but I didn't spot the other till I saw it online at home.