Most common traffic lights UK & IE

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

I was thinking recently what the most common make of traffic lights are in different regions of the UK and IE, and as a whole in both countries (and the crown dependencies as well). It would be interesting to see which is prevalent in regions, and if anyone knows of any design information of said lights that'd be much appreciated.
rhyds

Re: Most common traffic lights UK & IE

Post by rhyds »

In my experience: Red ones!
Built for comfort, not speed.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

I’d say in Ireland it’s definitely Alustars and the UK has a lot of Peek Elites. London used them in mass until they recently switched over to Siemens Helios. It’s hard to say really but I’d say post mellor era it’s the Peek Elite in the UK.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

NI is Siemens Helios as Siemens has the maintenance contract.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

rhyds wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 22:10
In my experience: Red ones!
In my experience: whichever sort Sheffield City Council use! :angry:
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

(Edit - I noticed you referred to Crown Dependancies rather than BOTs, but since I wrote it out...) I'm aware Bermuda used Peek Elites in both Halogen and SIRA CLS LED (pre-T-LED though), though I'm also aware that there have been some installations using US sourced LED lanterns.

Gibraltar also uses Elites from what I recall.

As for the mainland, I'd say it'd definitely be a toss up between Helios and Elite. As LJD has said, some of the bigger UTC authorities used Elites - London and Manchester were huge users of Elites, but recent times have seen the switch to Helios. TfGM, which is the largest UTC outside of TfL culled all their non-Elite lanterns (including LRT signals under Highways UTC control) for LED Helios, and then butchered their Elites to use the LED Helios retrofit front doors. But on the other hand, I think a lot more small authorities are Helios users, so I'd bet that they either weigh out fairly closely, or the Helios might in fact take the lead.
Last edited by traffic-light-man on Fri Nov 15, 2019 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 19:47 I'm aware Bermuda used Peek Elites in both Halogen and SIRA CLS LED (pre-T-LED though), though I'm also aware that there have been some installations using US sourced LED lanterns.

Gibraltar also uses Elites from what I recall.

As for the mainland, I'd say it'd definitely be a toss up between Helios and Elite. As LJD has said, some of the bigger UTC authorities used Elites - London and Manchester were huge users of Elites, but recent times have seen the switch to Helios. TfGM, which is the largest UTC outside of TfL culled all their non-Elite lanterns (including LRT signals under Highways UTC control) for LED Helios, and then butchered their Elites to use the LED Helios retrofit front doors. But on the other hand, I think a lot more small authorities are Helios users, so I'd bet that they either weigh out fairly closely, or the Helios might in fact take the lead.
Yes I saw that in Manchester it looks awful because they also left the scruffy worn out Peek Elite boarders on a lot of them and it sticks out like a sore thumb with jet black aspects and shabby grey worn out boarders with some even loosing the white outline. Which is why I’m glad that the Elite now has a new boarder design which doesn’t use paint and they are much closer to the signal aspects.

There’s a lot of Elites here in West Yorkshire. It’s mainly a mix of Elites and Telent signals here very rare you see a Helios (few in Leeds) although Wakefield Council who always used to only use Telent 3G and 4G or Elites now have a few Siemens Helios pedestrian crossing sites it’s odd to see indeed to say Siemens equipment has never been used here.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

The Elite is now gaining some traction in Liverpool too, and it looks like it's coming back in to favour in Lancashire. It's also been used on all projects in connection with the Mersey Gateway.

Having said that, a lot of the other authorities around the North West are remaining staunch Helios users.

I still think the Helios might have the lead these days, especially now that they're offering Wig Wag and LRT options that were previously the domain of the other manufacturers.
Simon