Wiki errors at Bedford

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Wiki errors at Bedford

Post by roadphotos »

The SABRE Wiki needs updating around Bedford. The Branston Way is now part of the A6 (was A428). The SABRE Wiki still says that the Bedford Western By-Pass (The Branston Way) is part of the A428 but it has recently been reclassified as the A6 and most of the signs have now been changed. I hope this is helpful.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Wiki errors at Bedford

Post by Steven »

All members of SABRE have access to change the pages themselves (and indeed the point is that it is collaborative) - why don't you give it a go?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I can't seem to be able to change it myself but the information on the Wiki has been wrong for at least a year now as it's over a year since the Branston Way to the west of Bedford was renumbered from the A428 to the A6. One thing that I found interesting when driving along this road is that although the signs were changed from the A428 to the A6 some of them now have A6 and then the A428 in brackets signed for Cambridge suggesting that the A428 is the road at the end of this by-pass but the road is actually the A421. This must surely be an error on the new signs
Last edited by roadphotos on Fri Nov 01, 2019 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Thanks for the "heads-up", roadphotos. I've now revised the A428 article in respect of the Bedford changes you mention -- and will check out the need for concomitant updates to other, related articles shortly.

As Steven says (above), the Wiki is a collaborative project which any member can edit, so I'm not sure why you weren't able to do so on this occasion. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to discuss this in more detail.

I'll leave it for others who know more about the rules for destination and route signing to comment on the correctness or otherwise of the signs -- such as this one -- on the A6 Bedford western bypass. The situation is that this is indeed the way to Cambridge, although the route numbers involved are (successively) A6, A421, A1, A428. The A428 is certainly right as being the final route in the sequence -- but I suppose the question is: could the arrangement of the destinations as shown on this sign be confusing for drivers heading for Milton Keynes and/or Luton? As I say, I don't know the rules!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 02:11 I can't seem to be able to change it myself
What happens when you try? Do you get an error message that we can look at getting fixed?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Viator

Post by Viator »

I think I've now made all the changes to other pages necessitated by the renumbering of the Bedford western bypass.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Although the A428 information on the SABRE Wiki is now correct the A6 at Bedford is still incorrect on the SABRE Wiki. The Wiki says that the Bedford Western By-Pass is the A428 which is incorrect, it also doesn't mention the rerouted A6 to the north west of Bedford
Viator

Post by Viator »

Thank you for pointing that out -- but please don't forget that if you spot an error in the SABRE Wiki you are, like every other member of the Society, perfectly entitled to make any necessary amendments to it yourself. That is why it's a wiki!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Viator wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 07:54 Thank you for pointing that out -- but please don't forget that if you spot an error in the SABRE Wiki you are, like every other member of the Society, perfectly entitled to make any necessary amendments to it yourself. That is why it's a wiki!
And if you have problems, then please let us know what happens, and any error messages. We can't fix it if we don't know!
Steven
Motorway Historian

roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Ok thanks