Traffic lights always on green

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: Traffic lights always on green

Post by Johnathan404 »

Spotted a new one inside Portsmouth International Port. It took me a moment to realise because the signal head on the left made it look legitimate. But the one in the middle is quite something.

Switch to history view to see it was accompanied by an overhead signal too.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
A4174_Guy

Post by A4174_Guy »

Near to the infamous Beverley Traffic Light Forest! I go past these left filter lights a lot and can't think of a scenario where they would ever need to change to red or amber. There's no pedestrian crossing here either.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.83612 ... 6?hl=en-GB
A13- Beckton Exit

Post by A13- Beckton Exit »

Coming off the A30 Eastbound at Tolvaddon a new set of lights were installed after the junction redesign, coming off the right turn lane is operated by a changing set that works against the opposing traffic but the ahead only lane is separated by pavement and has separate lights that always show a green ahead arrow, my driving instructor mentioned once that he thought that the nearby fire station had some form of control over them but i highly doubt this as it is on the next junction and there would still be the factor of the traffic heading for the Westbound A30 & Tolvaddon.

Annoyingly if you move to the Left hand side of the road on street view it shows the old uncontrolled junction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.23064 ... 312!8i6656
Last edited by A13- Beckton Exit on Mon Sep 16, 2019 02:26, edited 2 times in total.
Redruth, not so nice so the government decided to bypass it twice.
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Shame they removed a lane too, really ...

I can see the benefit of separating with an island to bypass the signal control for straight-on traffic, I’m not convinced they couldn’t have done it without losing that lane
A13- Beckton Exit

The extra lane could have been kept but traffic flows pretty well heading off Eastbound, but there is very little traffic turning right in to the village or on the way to the North Coast. My main irritation with this junction design is that traffic heading for the Fire Station or Roscroggan are expected to go through the ahead only lane and then cut across a lane (and possibly hatched markings) of traffic to turn right at the next junction! The Right lane in my opinion should be Ahead or Right, with clear signage indicating that traffic for Fire Station & Roscroggan should use lane 2.

The local fire crews have solved this issue by of course using the right turn lane to proceed ahead when green but anyone not local looking for Roscroggan would use the right hand lane (sign on slip road shows Roscroggan as second right) and either have to cut across or loop all the way back up to the Old A3047 or the services to loop around as all the lights are No U-Turn.

This section of road's junctions are notoriously badly designed, in fact I think I went to school with the child of the person (or one of the people) who designed it (I also think they know this pretty well by now).
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

This little arrangement on the A35 in Boscombe near Bournemouth removes any permanent green for straight ahead and replaces it with a tatty sign ("Signals for Right Turn Only").....

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

This is what I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. The left-turn filter has always been lit whenever I've been past on holidays to Brixham and I see no reason for it to ever not be. I've even looked to see if there are signals on the little side road immediately after the junction but it is one-way up the hill.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

A13- Beckton Exit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 01:05 The Right lane in my opinion should be Ahead or Right, with clear signage indicating that traffic for Fire Station & Roscroggan should use lane 2.
While there is no explicit signage for which lane to use, the right-hand lane is NOT right-turn only.

If it was there would be an arrow on the road, a sign on the lights and probably a buildout forcing traffic to turn.

Presumably the designer assumed that people wanting the second right would use the right-hand lane anyway and wouldn't need explicit instructions.

Is the green aspect for that lane an arrow?
A13- Beckton Exit

Pendlemac wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 08:56
A13- Beckton Exit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 01:05 The Right lane in my opinion should be Ahead or Right, with clear signage indicating that traffic for Fire Station & Roscroggan should use lane 2.
While there is no explicit signage for which lane to use, the right-hand lane is NOT right-turn only.

If it was there would be an arrow on the road, a sign on the lights and probably a buildout forcing traffic to turn.

Presumably the designer assumed that people wanting the second right would use the right-hand lane anyway and wouldn't need explicit instructions.

Is the green aspect for that lane an arrow?
Right you are, that is not a legally enforceable right turn, that's just my poor choice of words, and yeah the locals are happy to go straight through but I just meant that the direction signs themselves don't list the destinations for the second right turn in the lane 2 box of the new sign (The green backed primary sign on the exit slip has been replaced by a non primary one which shows the two separate lanes but not which to use for the second exit, lane 1 is marked as the straight on lane so any sat nav followers would likely commit to this lane.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

A13- Beckton Exit wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 19:27 Right you are, that is not a legally enforceable right turn...
Unless the signals display an arrow pointing to the right, in which case an ahead movement would be an illegal contravention of the arrow.
MotorwayPlannerM21 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 This is what I thought of when I saw the title of this thread...
That has to be one of the shallowest angles on a pair of diagonal arrows sited together!
Simon
jervi

Post by jervi »

traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 22:33
MotorwayPlannerM21 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 This is what I thought of when I saw the title of this thread...
That has to be one of the shallowest angles on a pair of diagonal arrows sited together!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.38916 ... 312!8i6656
But it is okay to go into oncoming traffic if you want.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 22:33
A13- Beckton Exit wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 19:27 Right you are, that is not a legally enforceable right turn...
Unless the signals display an arrow pointing to the right, in which case an ahead movement would be an illegal contravention of the arrow.
These in Edinburgh are quite shallow.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Another always on green I found this weekend.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.94884 ... 312!8i6656
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

The Salford Western Gateway road has a set with the intended junction to a sewage works that isn't active. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4723793 ... 312!8i6656
Whats amusing is they've gone to the trouble of adding the 'Sewage works' sign which goes to nowhere.
traffic-light-man

Rambo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 14:29 The Salford Western Gateway road has a set with the intended junction to a sewage works that isn't active. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4723793 ... 312!8i6656
Whats amusing is they've gone to the trouble of adding the 'Sewage works' sign which goes to nowhere.
The last time I went through there, the whole lot were bagged up. These do have the potential to change though, given the ped crossings are active - unlikely, but possible none-the-less.

What's most concerning here is that the Northbound right turn lane has bagged signals, yet the pedestrian crossing signals are active and visible to pedestrians! See here. This could potentially lead to a green pedestrian signal across a crossing which is technically uncontrolled. Admittedly, given the lack of road to turn in to along with the banned u-turn, there shouldn't be any traffic using the right turn lane by default, but still it's not particularly good in my eyes.

This one where the A550 leaves the A41 came to mind the other day. The straight ahead signal here on the left never changes, as far as I'm aware. It did cross my mind that there could be loops in the pavement for the adjoining properties to call an all-red, but I don't seem to be able to see any.
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 20:04
Rambo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 14:29 The Salford Western Gateway road has a set with the intended junction to a sewage works that isn't active. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4723793 ... 312!8i6656
The last time I went through there, the whole lot were bagged up. These do have the potential to change though, given the ped crossings are active - unlikely, but possible none-the-less.

What's most concerning here is that the Northbound right turn lane has bagged signals, yet the pedestrian crossing signals are active and visible to pedestrians! See here. This could potentially lead to a green pedestrian signal across a crossing which is technically uncontrolled. Admittedly, given the lack of road to turn in to along with the banned u-turn, there shouldn't be any traffic using the right turn lane by default, but still it's not particularly good in my eyes.

This one where the A550 leaves the A41 came to mind the other day. The straight ahead signal here on the left never changes, as far as I'm aware. It did cross my mind that there could be loops in the pavement for the adjoining properties to call an all-red, but I don't seem to be able to see any.
It seems they’ve only made the signals live because of a pedestrian crossing. There is even a sign facing outward from the unbuilt sewage works road perhaps showing a clearway. The signals at the other end of the bridge are also a bit pointless now as the road bears left and straight ahead was for construction traffic which i assume has ended. But may still be used in some way. It would have made more sense to use a roundabout here. Perhaps they will take out the signals at some point.
You could argue the set at Hooton are pointless anyway. should just have a give way stop line turning right as coming from the A550 direction can’t turn right anyway so could also have a give way sign. but i suppose the signals were added due accidents which is often the case.
traffic-light-man

Rambo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 20:21The signals at the other end of the bridge are also a bit pointless now as the road bears left and straight ahead was for construction traffic which i assume has ended. But may still be used in some way. It would have made more sense to use a roundabout here. Perhaps they will take out the signals at some point.
I believe the works access at the Southern end of the bridge is now the standard 'deliveries' access to Davyhulme wastewater treatment works. It would make sense if the access to Eccles WwTW was completed at the Northern end of the bridge to allow easy access between the two sites and the SRN, which I assume was the pretence of building both these accesses off the new road in the first place.
Rambo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 20:21You could argue the set at Hooton are pointless anyway. should just have a give way stop line turning right as coming from the A550 direction can’t turn right anyway so could also have a give way sign. but i suppose the signals were added due accidents which is often the case.
I'm not sure of the history of this particular set of signals, though the road layout here has always struck me a bit strange with the myriad of islands and what not. This ATE/ATM duct cover almost certainly indicates the presence of signals in the vicinity prior to the Mellor era, but whether or not these were for the A550 or the local cross roads in another question.

Edit: Having continued to scout around, I've located another ATE duct cover off one of the arms of the nearby cross-roads, so it could indicate that the A41 cover had nothing to do with signals at the A550 junction. The opposite arm still has it's pressure-pad detector frame present, too!
Simon
Britain

Post by Britain »

There's this one in Warrington with a stop line and everything.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.