Imagine living next to this

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

aj444

Re: Imagine living next to this

Post by aj444 »

Not such a busy road (only a B road) - this house has just been demolished,
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7827881 ... 312!8i6656

I always wondered what it was like living in a road :?
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

PeterA5145 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2011 22:19 The southern approach viaduct for the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge scythes through an area of traditional terraced housing, some of which was left in very close proximity to the road.
Slightly off topic but what is the story of the ghost ramp/stub on the south approach to this bridge?
https://goo.gl/maps/vqcRvpcCN4Uj8gaH9
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 01:20
PeterA5145 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2011 22:19 The southern approach viaduct for the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge scythes through an area of traditional terraced housing, some of which was left in very close proximity to the road.
Slightly off topic but what is the story of the ghost ramp/stub on the south approach to this bridge?
It was built as part of the free-flow trumpet interchange, when Runcorn New Town was being hugely expanded, to allow for the possibility that the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge would be duplicated on the west side in future. That never happened and instead the bridge has been replaced a mile or two upstream.
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 01:20
And how did they manage to get the the tiles on the roof of the church under the railway bridge?
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
kevinse16

Post by kevinse16 »

Glenn A wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 As pointed out in another thread, people who live along the A406 in Neasden. Last time I was there, the houses had been blackened with pollution, the traffic noise must be unbearable, parking a real art form, and it probably would be a good idea to keep pets indoors.
I once saw a photo of the A406 North Circular Road at Neasden from the 1920's when the houses were first built and it was just a wide single carriageway road and the houses had large front gardens.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

kevinse16 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 14:56
Glenn A wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 As pointed out in another thread, people who live along the A406 in Neasden. Last time I was there, the houses had been blackened with pollution, the traffic noise must be unbearable, parking a real art form, and it probably would be a good idea to keep pets indoors.
I once saw a photo of the A406 North Circular Road at Neasden from the 1920's when the houses were first built and it was just a wide single carriageway road and the houses had large front gardens.
There was 95 per cent less traffic on the roads and many of these private suburban estates from that era were created by an expansion of the Underground that made commuting into central London easier. However, many suburbs south of the river, where the Underground didn't exist, that sprung up around the Rochester Way and the Richmond by pass possibly saw the car as the future, where commuters would drive on these nice new S2s into central London, or catch the bus.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Anyone facy buying this property on the A1122? You get a lot of HGVs along here and the vibrations through the soft ground can be felt rather well. You may be able to tell that the gutter from the second window to the left side of the house in has fallen off. How on earth would you install a new one?
(Incidentally IIRC the small white board under the for sale sign says 'Building plot'!)
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

skiddaw05 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 00:08 Anyone facy buying this property on the A1122? You get a lot of HGVs along here and the vibrations through the soft ground can be felt rather well. You may be able to tell that the gutter from the second window to the left side of the house in has fallen off. How on earth would you install a new one?
(Incidentally IIRC the small white board under the for sale sign says 'Building plot'!)
I wonder if a vehicle has hit the corner of the house? It's easier to see from the other side as the sun is shining onto the house from that side rather than towards the camera. If you go back to 2009, there's damage on that corner back then.

It's interesting to look back at that house over the various years and compare it to the attached property next door. The one near the road starts off in 2009 looking a bit shabby, then it had new windows and a satellite dish added and is looking quite smart until you get to 2018, when the front garden is overgrown and the satellite dish disappears. The back garden also becomes overgrown and neglected after it was kept tidy in the earlier years. The house next door already had the windows changed in 2009 and is kept tidy up to 2016, but then by 2018 it is overgrown and neglected. I assume they're separate houses as the windows at the front are different on each side and there's a fence down the middle of the back gardens. It's odd that there's no front doors though. I wonder if they're both empty and the building plot implies both will be demolished and a new property will be built further back from the road?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Octaviadriver wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:25
skiddaw05 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 00:08 Anyone facy buying this property on the A1122? You get a lot of HGVs along here and the vibrations through the soft ground can be felt rather well. You may be able to tell that the gutter from the second window to the left side of the house in has fallen off. How on earth would you install a new one?
I wonder if a vehicle has hit the corner of the house? It's easier to see from the other side as the sun is shining onto the house from that side rather than towards the camera. If you go back to 2009, there's damage on that corner back then.

It's interesting to look back at that house over the various years and compare it to the attached property next door. The one near the road starts off in 2009 looking a bit shabby, then it had new windows and a satellite dish added and is looking quite smart until you get to 2018, when the front garden is overgrown and the satellite dish disappears. The back garden also becomes overgrown and neglected after it was kept tidy in the earlier years. The house next door already had the windows changed in 2009 and is kept tidy up to 2016, but then by 2018 it is overgrown and neglected. I assume they're separate houses as the windows at the front are different on each side and there's a fence down the middle of the back gardens. It's odd that there's no front doors though. I wonder if they're both empty and the building plot implies both will be demolished and a new property will be built further back from the road?
They replaced the windows but didn't bother fixing the corner of the roof which has meant at least ten years of rain possibly seeping inside.

Regarding the building plots I found this. Looks like the new houses won't be that much further away from the road. Personally I would rather have the houses where the garages will be so it won't be as noisy.
Attachments
building.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

What about living (under not next) to this?

I like the way the attached property is lower, maybe planning stated it had to be built at that height so not to interfere with the viaduct? :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.52381 ... 384!8i8192
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 23:07 What about living (under not next) to this?

I like the way the attached property is lower, maybe planning stated it had to be built at that height so not to interfere with the viaduct? :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.52381 ... 384!8i8192
That would probably be better than living to one side as you would be in an accoustic shadow. It looks to rather a nice little gaff with an outside space along the side and back, far better than the flats I rented in North London.
B4444

Post by B4444 »

Your personal fire escape? M1
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

B4444 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 19:59 Your personal fire escape? M1
That house is probably worth more than mine even though it's in a far inferior location. If it ever came on the market it would no doubt be described as "set in a quiet cul de sac location". Nothing has ever and never will want to make me move to London.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

Truvelo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 21:40 Nothing has ever and never will want to make me move to London.
I wouldn't say nothing would make me want to buy a dwelling house in London and live there part of the time, but it would be dependant on winning one of those £100 million plus Euromillions jackpots! Even I'd be able to afford a nice apartment in Mayfair then.