Coronavirus: Private and Commercial transport

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ruperts Trooper

Re: Is Coronavirus Reducing Levels of Traffic?

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Berk wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 23:37
someone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 22:59
Berk wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 22:41But the only way long-distance journeys are feasible is if there are facilities to buy food and drink.

Yes, hauliers need them too, but you would need strict security measures to keep other travellers out.
Eh? I do plenty of 400-mile days where all I stop to buy is petrol.
Unless you pack all your food and drink, and only stop when you buy fuel, it sounds like you could be exceeding a 2-hour driving limit without a break.

Even I stop for a 30 minute break every 2 hours. Experience should tell you why that’s a good idea. Even when I’ve been driving abroad, I’ve never driven more than 300-350 miles in a single day (and that really would be at the top end). I’ve planned my journeys so I don’t need to exceed that.
Truckers tend to stop for their mandatory 45 mins after 4hrs 30mins - I do the same on long hauls but add a 5 min comfort break halfway through each stint - I never buy fuel, food or drink at MSAs.
Lifelong motorhead
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 07:53 Truckers tend to stop for their mandatory 45 mins after 4hrs 30mins - I do the same on long hauls but add a 5 min comfort break halfway through each stint - I never buy fuel, food or drink at MSAs.
I suspect it might be harder to avoid MSAs with so much else shut down - not that I'm expecting to do much in the way of long journeys anyway!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
IAN

Post by IAN »

M25 all green at 8.30 a.m. !

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

From home this morning, I could hear some traffic on the A1(M). Have yet to notice any movement in my own estate.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Just been out for my government-approved exercise. M5 about a quarter of normal traffic, local traffic is like Christmas Day
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Just to show what an impact TfL resequencing the signals at Tower Hill has done to traffic coming in from Canary Wharf, this was 0700 this morning
London 24 March.JPG
someone

Post by someone »

Berk wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 23:37
someone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 22:59
Berk wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 22:41But the only way long-distance journeys are feasible is if there are facilities to buy food and drink.

Yes, hauliers need them too, but you would need strict security measures to keep other travellers out.
Eh? I do plenty of 400-mile days where all I stop to buy is petrol.
Unless you pack all your food and drink, and only stop when you buy fuel, it sounds like you could be exceeding a 2-hour driving limit without a break.
You can still take breaks without buying food and drink.

And, as you say, you can take your own snap. Personally I always carry of bottle of water, even it just walking around the corner to the local shops.

As I always plan my petrol stop to avoid paying excessive prices, I have only stopped at motorway service fewer than a dozen times. One of those was a specific trip (Aust, to go to the Seven Bridge viewing area), one was to use the toilet (again at Aust), and every other time was to take a break for various reasons where I never even left the car park.

Stopping them selling food will have almost zero impact on stopping people driving long distances in spite of the lockdown. But it would make it much more dangerous for lorry drivers.

Unless you are in a regulated profession, the normal advice to take a break every two hours is just a guideline. It does not benefit everyone the same. It is very important to know your own limits and to take a break when tired, and plan to take them before that happens. Aside from the danger to yourself, you could be charged with dangerous driving if you endanger others by failing to take appropriate breaks.

For some people this may mean stopping more frequently than every two hours, especially those not used to driving longer distances. Other people may be able to safely driver for longer. The type of road (motorway or windy B-roads) and conditions (rain or heavy traffic) also require different levels of concentration and energy. So strictly adhering to a regular time interval can be just as dangerous. Do not assume dividing a journey into fixed two hour segments makes it automatically safe.

My experience tells me what I can safely handle. In the beginning that meant planning very regular breaks in my journeys, but over time that expanded and now I do not plan them at all. If necessary I will stop in a layby, car park, or even turn off into a residential street to take a break.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Herned wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 09:11 Just been out for my government-approved exercise. M5 about a quarter of normal traffic, local traffic is like Christmas Day
I'm just back from mine. The A1(M) looked much quieter than usual, especially southbound, but my guess is there was more than a quarter of normal traffic for about 11.00 on a Tuesday. I did think there were more private cars heading in and out of Letchworth than I would have expected. Nobody should need to go further than Baldock for food, for example.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

As a slight aside to the coronavirus impact on levels of traffic, does anyone know if/how it's affecting road improvement projects? Such as the A14, or any other ongoing schemes at the moment? Crossrail and HS2, while not road projects, would be interesting to know about too.

On one side, you could ask the question, is road construction an essential service, and one could argue not. On the other side, if staff take all necessary precautions, with so little traffic about it could be the perfect time to do certain works. I think someone mentioned earlier this thread about Scotland closing a bunch of motorways, possibly for works?
someone

Post by someone »

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-can-i-walk-the-dog-am-i-still-able-to-fill-up-with-fuel-uk-lockdown-questions-answered-11962829 wrote:I don't live near my parents, who are self-isolating as they are over 70 or have other health conditions, can I drive to them to deliver a food shop?

It is "unlikely" police will be pulling cars over just for driving, Mr Gove said. So as long as you leave the shopping outside their door it should be fine.

Can I go for a drive to blow the cobwebs away?

"It is unlikely anybody will be pulled over by the police just for driving," Mr Gove said.

Gove does not seem to actually know the answers, though I guess he is offering himself as an excuse to use (especially if you have groceries with you) should you get stopped.
StockburyRoundabout

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

IAN wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 08:34 M25 all green at 8.30 a.m. !

Ian (M5 Driver)
Even the Dartford Crossing is green - That NEVER happens (except at night)
These are truly strange circumstances.
Now with added Grade Separation!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

someone wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 14:19 Gove does not seem to actually know the answers, though I guess he is offering himself as an excuse to use (especially if you have groceries with you) should you get stopped.
Gove has “had enough of experts”, which explains the quality of his interviews today.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Last week traffic was very light coming home from work in the centre of town. I'd say up to 50% less. However this morning at around 10 am traffic looked the same as yesterday despite new measures in place.
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

One of my friends lives close to the A259 in Sussex and commented this morning that it's 'eerily quiet'.

I noted that it's what the world sounded like from the beginning of time until only around 110 years ago.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

With less traffic on the roads my god those birds are noisy in the trees, I normally only get to hear them late at night.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Bertiebus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 14:40 One of my friends lives close to the A259 in Sussex and commented this morning that it's 'eerily quiet'.

I noted that it's what the world sounded like from the beginning of time until only around 110 years ago.
That depends where you are. Cobbles and steel horseshoes in cities made quite a racket.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Rambo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 14:40 Last week traffic was very light coming home from work in the centre of town. I'd say up to 50% less. However this morning at around 10 am traffic looked the same as yesterday despite new measures in place.
Perhaps the big drop-off hasn't happened yet because there were still lots of people this morning who hadn't been told by their employer not to come in yet and thus they don't dare stop coming in.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Keiji wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 13:30 As a slight aside to the coronavirus impact on levels of traffic, does anyone know if/how it's affecting road improvement projects? Such as the A14, or any other ongoing schemes at the moment? Crossrail and HS2, while not road projects, would be interesting to know about too.

On one side, you could ask the question, is road construction an essential service, and one could argue not. On the other side, if staff take all necessary precautions, with so little traffic about it could be the perfect time to do certain works. I think someone mentioned earlier this thread about Scotland closing a bunch of motorways, possibly for works?
Crossrail construction has been suspended. https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/civi ... 4-03-2020/
The bulletin released yesterday for the M23 SMP only included closure information for Monday & Tuesday works, instead of the whole week. However they didn't carry out any closures during Mon-Thu last week, so that may not mean anything. I would say I hope that the M23 SMP is completed shortly after the final weekend of "full" closures which is this weekend, but since not many people will be traveling, I guess it doesn't make any difference.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Local traffic at 15:30 yesterday was at Sunday morning levels. It was only that busy because a London train had just come in.
solocle

Post by solocle »

It's not super quiet out here in North Dorset, but quieter for sure. Went out for my day's cycle, included a mile along the A30. One van overtook me, no other vehicles approached from behind. There were more going the other way, however.