Coronavirus: Private and Commercial transport

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Herned

Re: Is Coronavirus Reducing Levels of Traffic?

Post by Herned »

Berk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 00:36 So many lies. From the experts. They know little more than the man in the street.
Which experts? Can you provide a source? i.e. a quote from someone with a doctorate in epidemiology or similar who has told a lie
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I live on a quiet housing estate of mainly retired people where we get little traffic anyway. We get the dustcart, the postman, online grocery deliveries and not much else. The one difference I have noticed is because we live near a driving test centre we normally get more than our fair share of learner drivers. I haven't seen any of those for the last few days.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Hard to tell if the traffic is any different near me since I'm not usually at home at this time of the week. I can hear the nearby stream more than the A6 though, but it's not traffic-free (certainly not as quiet as it was when everything was closed last year due to the dam).
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I honestly have no idea!

I haven't left my house in two weeks now apart from to go for walks around the local area, mostly offroad and on residential cul-de-sacs. I need to go out later to get the summer wheels put on the car and will take the opportunity to get rid of the recycling while I'm at it.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I suspect in urban areas there will actually be a diversion from public transport to private cars, not just because of distancing concerns but because journeys will be quicker, parking may become more available at offices, etc. For those with cars who use public transport, a lot of that is actually a distress purchase, they would like to drive if they could. It will have a long-lasting impact.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

WHBM wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 13:41 I suspect in urban areas there will actually be a diversion from public transport to private cars, not just because of distancing concerns but because journeys will be quicker, parking may become more available at offices, etc. For those with cars who use public transport, a lot of that is actually a distress purchase, they would like to drive if they could. It will have a long-lasting impact.

That isn't the case where I live (Marton in Cleveland). There has been very little traffic on the suburban road I live on and its often used as a rat run. When I was out cutting the grass this morning all I saw was a solitary cyclist.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Herned wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:17
Berk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 00:36 So many lies. From the experts. They know little more than the man in the street.
Which experts? Can you provide a source? i.e. a quote from someone with a doctorate in epidemiology or similar who has told a lie
Given that a lie has to be a proven falsehood, I think it is a bit of a gung ho accusation to say people are lying when the reality is these are unknown variables.

Another reminder that the best course of action sometimes is to just sit down and be quiet perhaps.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Berk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 00:36So many lies. From the experts. They know little more than the man in the street.
Sorry (not really) but I take exception to Gove-alikes deriding experts like this. They know far more than you'll ever realise, and you should really pay attention to what they have to say - even if you disagree. Because ignoring experts lands us in exactly the predicament we've now, unfortunately, become accustomed to.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

KeithW wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:10
WHBM wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 13:41 I suspect in urban areas there will actually be a diversion from public transport to private cars, not just because of distancing concerns but because journeys will be quicker, parking may become more available at offices, etc. For those with cars who use public transport, a lot of that is actually a distress purchase, they would like to drive if they could. It will have a long-lasting impact.

That isn't the case where I live (Marton in Cleveland). There has been very little traffic on the suburban road I live on and its often used as a rat run. When I was out cutting the grass this morning all I saw was a solitary cyclist.
Well that's what I would expect of a rat-run, everyone can continue along the main road.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

I am using my car more for local journeys where I would previously have caught the bus mostly due to distancing concerns. Overall traffic is very light, car parks today (market day) were below Sunday levels. Sainsbury's had suspended charging in their car park (normally pay and refund at the till) while the LA car parks are still charging.

I had to drive in as the car was booked for its MOT at a garage near the town centre, the announcement of the extension came through while it was being tested!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Far from the expectation of the "must drive everywhere" brigade quite a lot of residential streets will be looking at how quiet their streets are and asking if that can be maintained after.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
frediculous_biggs
President

Post by frediculous_biggs »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:58 Far from the expectation of the "must drive everywhere" brigade quite a lot of residential streets will be looking at how quiet their streets are and asking if that can be maintained after.
Quiet from traffic perhaps but BT have been digging outside all day!

It will be very interesting to see if there's a modal shift because of the big jolt this has caused. I expect there to be a large increase in working from home in future as businesses realise that it works.

The company a friend of mine works for closed their offices after the snow a few years ago when they realised they were just as efficient working remotely and it was far cheaper to hire a meeting room once a fortnight than pay for office space 24/7.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

The tolls for the Itchen Bridge have apparently been suspended. Any more of the English bridges/tunnels so treated?
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Piatkow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:57
I am using my car more for local journeys where I would previously have caught the bus mostly due to distancing concerns. Overall traffic is very light, car parks today (market day) were below Sunday levels. Sainsbury's had suspended charging in their car park (normally pay and refund at the till) while the LA car parks are still charging.

I had to drive in as the car was booked for its MOT at a garage near the town centre, the announcement of the extension came through while it was being tested!
Did it pass?
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 16:46
Piatkow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:57

Did it pass?
Yes. It was lucky that I had to go into town though. Everybody was too busy queuing 2 metres apart outside Sainsbury's and Waitrose to go to the remaining independents. Bread, meat and eggs all picked up without a wait. Only one staff member on duty at the butcher and they were closing for the duration this evening so she was actually encouraging me to stockpile to get their remaining fresh meat off the premises.
fras

Post by fras »

The A500 west of Jn 16 M6 is very quiet at the moment. A few lorries and other commercial vehicles, but little else. Nantwich town very quiet, car parks virtually empty. We did a walk near Acton (near Nantwich), and very few people around, most walking their dogs, or cycling. Saw one canal boat going along the Shropshire Union canal.

It would be all a bit depressing if it was'nt for the wonderful Spring weather with daffodils in full bloom everywhere. Are they telling us something ?
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

fras wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 19:18 The A500 west of Jn 16 M6 is very quiet at the moment. A few lorries and other commercial vehicles, but little else. Nantwich town very quiet, car parks virtually empty. We did a walk near Acton (near Nantwich), and very few people around, most walking their dogs, or cycling. Saw one canal boat going along the Shropshire Union canal.

It would be all a bit depressing if it was'nt for the wonderful Spring weather with daffodils in full bloom everywhere. Are they telling us something ?
Environment Agency has announced a lock down for boaters on canals and waterways - "essential" movement only.
Lifelong motorhead
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Did today's walk between 5:30 and 6:00 PM around the neighbouring housing estate. Was notable just how few cars I saw at a time when usually quite a lot of people would be coming home from work. I suspect that those doing '9 to 5' jobs are less likely to still be working.
someone

Post by someone »

fras wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 19:18It would be all a bit depressing if it was'nt for the wonderful Spring weather with daffodils in full bloom everywhere.
Imagine how depressing this weather is for someone who is not supposed to leave their front door for three months.

I reckon they are looking at the blue sky out of their window and dreaming of being able to jump on their bike and heading off to Dorset.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Well, I've been out for a constitutional the last couple of days to fend off the cabin fever.