Coronavirus: Private and Commercial transport

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Al__S

Re: Is Coronavirus Reducing Levels of Traffic?

Post by Al__S »

Something relevant to roads: it may be anecdotal, but I've noticed and others have noted that of what traffic there still is right now a significant proportion seems to be (mainly) younger (mainly) men in high powered/modded cars "taking advantage" of clear roads. I've even seen police twitter cccounts noting they've been to quite a few single car collisions involving this demographic and street furniture.

Mindyou, it's not just the young men- I was out for government permitted exercise today and doing 20 (32km/h on the GPS) cycling along in a 20 zone, was passed by a middle aged man in a very normal car who was doing 32mph (according to the handily placed sign). As ever, although he did that on an entirely clear road I caught up at the next lights.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

someone wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 20:52
fras wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 19:18It would be all a bit depressing if it was'nt for the wonderful Spring weather with daffodils in full bloom everywhere.
Imagine how depressing this weather is for someone who is not supposed to leave their front door for three months.

I reckon they are looking at the blue sky out of their window and dreaming of being able to jump on their bike and heading off to Dorset.
My next door neighbour is one of the 1.5 million extremely vulnerable people so spent the day in his garden painting the fence, he's always enjoyed sitting in his garden but may get fed up of the same view for three months - I'm in the slightly less restricted simply vulnerable group so can still leave the house for exercise, fortunately I live next to a local nature reserve and get a long walk as long as the weather holds.

I wonder if C19's effect on passenger air travel has given us a beneficial effect on our weather.
Lifelong motorhead
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Epping High Street reminded me of a 1990 Sunday afternoon today, the sort of days when I wanted a cold drink and the only place was the off-licence or the newsagent! Less than a dozen cars parked with about that many people walking around and half of them lined up 2m apart to get into M&S.
Got some nice photos of the empty roads while I could. Very few shops open and those that were had limits on who could get in.

It's interesting to read and compare all the different notices on shop fronts. Some read like business statements and some are basic "We are now closed. See you later". You get the personal messages and the disinterested corporate guff.

Tesco had a line outside as they were letting people in on a 1 in, 1 out basis. The manager said it wasn't a fixed number allowed in but more a gut feeling as to crowd levels and spacing. Was still quiet inside as I got bread and milk.
marconaf

Post by marconaf »

Presumably now is a good time to do a lot of roadworks? even major things like the Huntingdon flyover removal.

I've noticed a few sprung up all over town on the ring road, although of course it is March so the usual "spend the budget before the FY finishes" could also be responsible!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Comedian Lee Mack has the virus, so he's Not Going Out. That will be one less person out on the roads.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Here traffic on Tuesday morning was back up to school holiday levels, but was down to eeriness again by the afternoon.

While it's much harder to judge from home than the motorway, traffic now seems to be right down to volumes normally only seen on Christmas Day, except for the pointless empty buses.

Why are we still wasting diesel running these empty buses, even at half their previous frequency? Has anybody considered stopping them and providing a dial-a-ride service for those who really need it?

Like many people, including all of my colleagues, I went to work on Tuesday despite what Boris said. For most people it is "absolutely essential" to go to work or else you will get sacked (which would mean you won't be getting 80% of your wage paid by the government, nor a redundancy payment, nor benefits). Plus the controlled closure we were able to enact is clearly better for everyone than simply disappearing and leaving staff and clients not knowing what was going on.

If there's too many people travelling it's the non-essential businesses still operating that need to be dealt with. Moaning at the workers already in an impossible position won't help.
marconaf wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 23:55 Presumably now is a good time to do a lot of roadworks? even major things like the Huntingdon flyover removal.

I've noticed a few sprung up all over town on the ring road, although of course it is March so the usual "spend the budget before the FY finishes" could also be responsible!
Yep. Sheffield City Council have taken the opportunity to extend overnight roadworks on the Inner Ring Road to daytime to get the job finished quicker (or to move to daytime instead of night to reduce costs).
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

I've just checked out live camera photos of the M50 from just now (2AM) and there is practically no traffic on the motorway at all aside from the occasional lorry that may pass every 30 seconds or so. (I chose to look at it since I know it's among Britain's quietest motorways).
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 00:13 Here traffic on Tuesday morning was back up to school holiday levels, but was down to eeriness again by the afternoon.

While it's much harder to judge from home than the motorway, traffic now seems to be right down to volumes normally only seen on Christmas Day, except for the pointless empty buses.

Why are we still wasting diesel running these empty buses, even at half their previous frequency? Has anybody considered stopping them and providing a dial-a-ride service for those who really need it?
I suppose setting up a dial-a-ride service at short notice would involve organising a phone line/email address and getting hold of some cars or minibuses. There's also the issue of social distancing. On a bus it is easier to be 2m away from anyone else for most of a journey.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

trickstat wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 09:16
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 00:13 Here traffic on Tuesday morning was back up to school holiday levels, but was down to eeriness again by the afternoon.

I suppose setting up a dial-a-ride service at short notice would involve organising a phone line/email address and getting hold of some cars or minibuses. There's also the issue of social distancing. On a bus it is easier to be 2m away from anyone else for most of a journey.
Our local bus company (Lloyd Coaches) has asked key workers to contact them so they can tailor their reduced timetables to their shift patterns. They've already gone from using double deckers on the route past my house to much smaller vehicles.
Built for comfort, not speed.
someone

Post by someone »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 22:10My next door neighbour is one of the 1.5 million extremely vulnerable people so spent the day in his garden painting the fence, he's always enjoyed sitting in his garden but may get fed up of the same view for three months - I'm in the slightly less restricted simply vulnerable group so can still leave the house for exercise, fortunately I live next to a local nature reserve and get a long walk as long as the weather holds.

I wonder if C19's effect on passenger air travel has given us a beneficial effect on our weather.
At least he has a garden, I live in a first floor flat with only a car park at the rear. That should be my only trip outside for the next few months as I will still need to take the rubbish out to the bins.

I cannot remember, but what was the weather like during the Eyjafjallajökull volcanic eruption? Although I suppose the ash in the atmosphere which stopped a lot of air traffic probably makes the two periods incomparable.

That was the largest air shut down since WWII, but we surely must now have the lowest air pollution levels since at least then between both traffic reduction reduction and factories being closed. A lot of local reports show the significant effect it has had in regions which have been locked down.

One academic report from Italy has suggested a link between air pollution and COVID-19 deaths. Those living in highly polluted urban areas have poorer health because of it, putting them at greater risk to the effects of the virus. Although this has been criticised by another group who say such claims are premature and more research is needed.

To me it seems a logical conclusion, though. The effects of localized air pollution on public health is not disputed. That people with certain conditions are at a higher risk of the virus seems to be accepted. The only way there is no link is if the effects of pollution which cause ill health also cause an immunity from the virus, which is possible but would be a theory that needs to be proved rather than the default position.

I can just about see the A23 High Road from my window, and it still seems to have Sunday levels of traffic. After last month's terrorist incident you could hear the silence whilst it was still closed off by the police. It currently does not sound any different to normal.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

rhyds wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 09:20
trickstat wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 09:16

Our local bus company (Lloyd Coaches) has asked key workers to contact them so they can tailor their reduced timetables to their shift patterns. They've already gone from using double deckers on the route past my house to much smaller vehicles.
I was looking at the Thameslink website yesterday. They are going to be switching to a Sunday timetable but say that rail services will start earlier and finish later than a standard Sunday timetable because key workers often work unsociable hours.
avtur

Post by avtur »

roadtester wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 00:05 Comedian Lee Mack has the virus, so he's Not Going Out. That will be one less person out on the roads.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

avtur wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22
roadtester wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 00:05 Comedian Lee Mack has the virus, so he's Not Going Out. That will be one less person out on the roads.
I would have put that in the crap joke thread, but apparently he really has got it!
Electrophorus Electricus

trickstat

Post by trickstat »

roadtester wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43
I would have put that in the crap joke thread, but apparently he really has got it!
Would you Lie to Us?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

marconaf wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 23:55 Presumably now is a good time to do a lot of roadworks? even major things like the Huntingdon flyover removal.

Middlesbrough Highways dept have been busily fixing potholes.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

trickstat wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 13:03
roadtester wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43

Would you Lie to Us?
Ha ha - no, but apparently the joke is wearing a bit thin!

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/cele ... 97846.html
Electrophorus Electricus

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Traffic levels on the A174 Cleveland Parkway are way down on normal. I was sitting in the garden yesterday and couldn't work out what was different (apart from being warm and sunny). Then I realised the noise of the traffic was almost non existent, Its never really bad as I am 400 m from the road which is in a cutting but it is always there and there is usually a police car with siren going down it from time to time.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

This is interesting - detailed research shows that 'crazy selfish stockpilers' are only a small percentage of the population and the temporary shortages are mostly down to people responsibly adding a few extra items to their shop as a precaution:

https://www.warc.com/newsandopinion/opi ... seems/3483
Electrophorus Electricus

IAN

Post by IAN »

roadtester wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 13:21 This is interesting - detailed research shows that 'crazy selfish stockpilers' are only a small percentage of the population and the temporary shortages are mostly down to people responsibly adding a few extra items to their shop as a precaution:

https://www.warc.com/newsandopinion/opi ... seems/3483
Unfortunately, the 'just in time' method for selling supermarket goods means that they are unprepared for a sudden surge in demand.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

Fenlander wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 14:49 With less traffic on the roads my god those birds are noisy in the trees, I normally only get to hear them late at night.
Isn't it wonderful? Hearing nature instead of the perpetual sound of the human race.
Helvellyn wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 14:52
Bertiebus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 14:40 One of my friends lives close to the A259 in Sussex and commented this morning that it's 'eerily quiet'.

I noted that it's what the world sounded like from the beginning of time until only around 110 years ago.
That depends where you are. Cobbles and steel horseshoes in cities made quite a racket.
Fair point.
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:34
Herned wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:17
Berk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 00:36 So many lies. From the experts. They know little more than the man in the street.
Which experts? Can you provide a source? i.e. a quote from someone with a doctorate in epidemiology or similar who has told a lie
Given that a lie has to be a proven falsehood, I think it is a bit of a gung ho accusation to say people are lying when the reality is these are unknown variables.

Another reminder that the best course of action sometimes is to just sit down and be quiet perhaps.
Perhaps it's time to stop feeding the troll and save the food for a more deserving consumer of valuable oxygen? :-|