Non–Special A roads with N.M.U. prohibitions?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Re: Non–Special A roads with N.M.U. prohibitions?

Post by traffic-light-man »

A5300 prohibits cycles and pedestrians, however everything else is fine. Not sure I've ever seen any horses or horse-drawn vehicles on the Expressway, mind you.
Simon
solocle

Post by solocle »

traffic-light-man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 22:36 A5300 prohibits cycles and pedestrians, however everything else is fine. Not sure I've ever seen any horses or horse-drawn vehicles on the Expressway, mind you.
There's the debatable case of the A45 by Northampton...
A45 restriction
"No slow vehicles" (unable to exceed 25 mph)... whether I can exceed 25 depends on the gradient. On a flat road, I can. Not for very long, though...
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

A92 tay Road Bridge, no pedestrians on the main carriageways.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Herned

Post by Herned »

Slightly tangentially, does the 'No racing by horse drawn vehicles' prohibition at Fontwell exist anywhere else?
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

No pedestrians on the A61 Inner Relief Road in Chesterfield
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.23138 ... 312!8i6656
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A58 Burdock Way in Halifax prohibits pedestrians and horse drawn carriages but not cyclists. Likewise the A629 Ovenden Road flyover.

Many roads in South Wales ban pedestrians but not cycling. The exception is the A470 which is virtually a motorway in all but name anyway.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 18:43 A630-A57 Sheffield Parkway

Similarly A630 Rotherway
And a third section of the A630! This time under the Frenchgate Centre in Doncaster (pedestrians can go through the centre or use the pedestrianised Frenchgate). Also New North Bridge nearby (pedestrians and cyclists can join buses and taxis on Old North Bridge).
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The A5103 Princess Parkway bans NMUs as it has parallel tracks down it. Which could really do with cleaning up, perhaps Highways England would like to read LTN 1/20...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

I think the A814 Clydeside Expressway in Glasgow might fall into this category.
the cheesecake man

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49
the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 18:43 A630-A57 Sheffield Parkway

Similarly A630 Rotherway
And a third section of the A630! This time under the Frenchgate Centre in Doncaster (pedestrians can go through the centre or use the pedestrianised Frenchgate). Also New North Bridge nearby (pedestrians and cyclists can join buses and taxis on Old North Bridge).
Doh! :facepalm:
Also another section of the A57 I should have remembered as I've posted about it at least three times.
the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:31 Four

I'm sure you can beat that easily!
unrepentantfool

Post by unrepentantfool »

Another Reading one, the A329 IDR(Inf/ternal Distribution Road) bans NMU's, I'm pretty sure.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Herned wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 08:29 Slightly tangentially, does the 'No racing by horse drawn vehicles' prohibition at Fontwell exist anywhere else?
Probably not but it should, during the Appleby Horsefair a few years ago some of the traveller community caused chaos on the A66 by racing on it and and there was a similar incident on the A19 near Ashington.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... d-14294611
the cheesecake man

KeithW wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 13:00
Herned wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 08:29 Slightly tangentially, does the 'No racing by horse drawn vehicles' prohibition at Fontwell exist anywhere else?
Probably not but it should, during the Appleby Horsefair a few years ago some of the traveller community caused chaos on the A66 by racing on it and and there was a similar incident on the A19 near Ashington.
Should such a sign be necessary? Racing on the public highway is already illegal. Are those willing to ignore this and not bothered about anyone's safety really likely to take care about a sign? For example a bank putting up a "no armed robberies" sign would just look silly.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:31
KeithW wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 13:00
Should such a sign be necessary? Racing on the public highway is already illegal.
It is for motor vehicles, but not necessarily for NMUs? AIUI cycling and (human) running races do have to get the police's permission for their races.
the cheesecake man

trickstat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 20:07
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:31 Should such a sign be necessary? Racing on the public highway is already illegal.
It is for motor vehicles, but not necessarily for NMUs? AIUI cycling and (human) running races do have to get the police's permission for their races.
Surprisingly you seem to be right:
Road Traffic Act 1988 Section 12: Racing on a public way

A person who promotes or takes part in a race or trial of speed between motor vehicles on a public road is guilty of an offence.
Source. My bold.

I guess permission to hold marathons etc is for road closures, crowd safety etc rather than to make the race legal.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 20:19
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:31 Should such a sign be necessary? Racing on the public highway is already illegal.
A person who promotes or takes part in a race or trial of speed between motor vehicles on a public road is guilty of an offence.
Source. My bold.

I guess permission to hold marathons etc is for road closures, crowd safety etc rather than to make the race legal.
However cycle time trials appear to require minimal regulation, due to not being head-to-head races, so only one rider to pass at a time.

I wonder if foot races on the same basis would pass muster. Has this been tried?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 21:17 I wonder if foot races on the same basis would pass muster. Has this been tried?
I'd guess not. Starting thousands of marathon runners one at a time would take quite a while...
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 21:24
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 21:17 I wonder if foot races on the same basis would pass muster. Has this been tried?
I'd guess not. Starting thousands of marathon runners one at a time would take quite a while...
Time trial running races are very rare and would have to be limited in terms of number of competitors.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 20:19

Source. My bold.

I am pretty sure to get a permit with the governing body for road running you have to show that you have permission from the police if you are using any public roads, even if they are not being closed.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

The A406 Silver Street tunnel is another one

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6137577 ... 384!8i8192