M92

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

M92

Post by Truvelo »

Was this number ever officially allocated to the East Fife Regional Road or just hearsay? I have lots of maps and plans for the original route starting from the A823(M) but none show the number.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Re: M92

Post by Duncan macknight »

I have a feeling that it probably was referred to M92 at some point before the concept of the Crossgates - Kircaldy expressway seemed more value for money.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

I don't believe I've ever seen anything other than the name.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

As the M92 is a source of speculation I've just quoted East Fife Regional Road in the Masterton Junction article.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

Bingo. There are a couple of references to the M92 in the Aberdeen Press and Journal:

Aberdeen Press and Journal 7 January 1972

FIFE County Council's “Keep the Kingdom" campaign received an indirect but nevertheless massive boost when the roads committee formally approved a major highway network for the county. The members agreed in Cupar to accept recommendations made by county surveyor Mr Alistair Donaldson on the assumption that Fife becomes a regional authority. Mr Donaldson’s extensive recommendations include the Fife regional road running eastwards from the M90, via the proposed East Fife regional road (M92) from south of Halbeath interchange to Redhouse interchange on the proposed Thornton bypass. The road would then continue northwards on the A92 to the New Inn roundabout and on to St Andrews, via Cupar, with a trunk road link via Balmullo to the Tay Bridge and a principal road link via Leuchars. Donaldson said “From the viewpoint of the economy of Fife as a whole this is a route that would serve the main communities within the region and would economically be a very more logical route pattern than any proposal to accept the present A914 between New Inn and the Tay Bridge as a main route in the long term.

Aberdeen Press and Journal 8 September 1972

Major Fife road projects costing a mammoth £19,000,000 took a step forward yesterday. And county surveyor Mr Alistair Donaldson told Fife Roads Committee at Cupar yesterday that when the schemes are completed, the county will given a huge industrial boost. He told members that the Scottish Development Department had proposed a line of the East Fife regional road which was basically the the route he suggested to them. The committee agreed that the county clerk write to the Department saying they would wish an early start to the road on the basis it would be built to full motorway standards. Mr Donaldson said “This is necessary not only because of the volume of traffic likely to use the road but also because of the significant industrial benefits that the presence a motorway would confer on Central and East Fife, particularly on Kirkcaldy and the new town of Glenrothes”. The regional road will cost just under £10,000,000.

Nothing has come up about the outcome and in 1978 it just mentions a connection to the M90. The contract for stage 1 was let in 1983 to Tractor Shovels and completed in 1985. They started on phase 2 in 1986.

I expect there would be more in the local Fife or Dundee newspapers (1960s and 1970s not yet on the British News Archive) or maybe the Fife archives.

The first article has further paragraphs. PM me for a copy.

Ian
Ian
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

God, if only that had been built! So needed today!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Uncle Buck wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 04:04 God, if only that had been built! So needed today!
And so unaffordable in the mid 1970's with an inflation rate peaking at 25%, interest rates at 17%, the economy in a full on recession and unemployment rapidly rising.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

KeithW wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 14:02
Uncle Buck wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 04:04 God, if only that had been built! So needed today!
And so unaffordable in the mid 1970's with an inflation rate peaking at 25%, interest rates at 17%, the economy in a full on recession and unemployment rapidly rising.
True, but there have been plenty of opportunities to do it since!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

In Edinburgh University Library around 1974-5 I found a booklet about the Forth Road Bridge, possibly an official opening booklet, which showed the M90/A823(M) junction and, like Ross Spur's piece, described the A823(M) as the M92 East Fife Regional Road.

I had been along the M90 once, in 1969, but failed to notice the number A823(M) which was presumably on the signs at the junction, so I was aware of the M92 number many years before I was aware of the A823(M) number.