Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by ForestChav »

NottsLad wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 15:35 I have always liked these two signs on the A46 near Leicester, one or both of which must be wrong:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6950768 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.701183, ... 312!8i6656

The signs are a mile apart heading in the same direction, note how the distances change! It could be that the second was installed after the dualling of the A46 but this would not have changed the distance to Nottingham and I don't think it would have changed the distances to Newark and Lincoln by as much as it seems.
Unlikely as the A46 wasn't improved south of the A606...
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The distance to Melton is only three miles different whereas the others are all six. I initially thought it was due to the Rearsby Bypass but it's the same distance as the original road.

I've measured the distance from the signs to Newark and Lincoln and the distances in the second link are correct. I have another theory as to why the sign further away has shorter distances - could the signmaker have measured the distance as a crow flies rather than following the road? That would explain the loss of six miles.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
NottsLad

Post by NottsLad »

Truvelo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 17:59 The distance to Melton is only three miles different whereas the others are all six. I initially thought it was due to the Rearsby Bypass but it's the same distance as the original road.

I've measured the distance from the signs to Newark and Lincoln and the distances in the second link are correct. I have another theory as to why the sign further away has shorter distances - could the signmaker have measured the distance as a crow flies rather than following the road? That would explain the loss of six miles.
The sign further away has the longer distances, it is just that Nottingham (for example) gets 6 miles closer after only driving 1 mile!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I know TTM signs are often a great source of botchiness and not always worth talking about, but this set of works with tiny signs caught my eye last night... If only there were actual authorised signs for, well, all of these things :shock:
Attachments
IMG_20200914_204312.jpg
IMG_20200914_204358.jpg
IMG_20200914_204843.jpg
Simon
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

The signs on the islands at the circle down the road from me are being replaced from old Simmons internally illuminated bollards to flexible ones. And of course they have replaced all the (wrong) keep left bollards on the exits of the circle with more keep left bollards! :bang:
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
the cheesecake man

I don't like this sign telling me I'm approaching a T junction at which I'll have to give way. When I get there I find I have priority and sharp right bend. It's a subtle difference but it can be made clearly as here.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51167 ... 384!8i8192
Should not be the end of the red route clearway
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Big and complex.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Come on Tesco, you can do better than this :@
Attachments
tesco.jpg
Big and complex.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

I'll put this in the botch thread rather than 'manky'. Seen on Princess Way, Liverpool. The patch has 'Container base' underneath which closed circa 1986.
Attachments
IMG_4538.JPG
the cheesecake man

This is a sign to Halfway, :no: not a sign at a junction called Halfway. :thumbsdown:
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

110ffr

Post by 110ffr »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 17:52 Inverted
It's the wrong sign altogether, it's a bridge ahead not a tunnel. The advance warning that already appears at the "abort" point either side of the bridge is all that is needed, although since it is an arch bridge the advance sign should be warning rather than regulatory (Dia 531.1), with 532.2 on the bridge itself.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Big and complex.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 20:17 What on earth is this :@

https://goo.gl/maps/bGEudc1SuACjqH336
My answer would be “an absolute state”, but your interpretation may vary :facepalm:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:49
Truvelo wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 20:17 What on earth is this :@

https://goo.gl/maps/bGEudc1SuACjqH336
My answer would be “an absolute state”, but your interpretation may vary :facepalm:
There's a possibility that it may be a private road, in which case anything goes.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

This is a nice font but I'm not convinced it's the right font for a road sign.
Britain

Post by Britain »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:40 Ultra-thick road!
T H I C C

traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 17:37 I know TTM signs are often a great source of botchiness and not always worth talking about, but this set of works with tiny signs caught my eye last night... If only there were actual authorised signs for, well, all of these things :shock:
One way system. No entry. What? I imagine it means one way systems TOWARDS you, therefore no entry from this direction. This seems like more effort than a normal no entry sign.

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 13:16 This is a nice font but I'm not convinced it's the right font for a road sign.
Also note the 30 signs on the sideroads along that route don't have the speed limit for the main road (40) on the reverse sides.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Britain wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 16:58 Also note the 30 signs on the sideroads along that route don't have the speed limit for the main road (40) on the reverse sides.
Not as bad as a major road in a city