A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by jervi »

medgoode wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 18:32 A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon roadworks items for auction
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-54476554

Could be a good chance to grab some souvenirs! Can't seem to find the auction site though. Wouldn't mind a sign for the garden!

Update: Found the auction site!
https://www.ppauctions.com/auction/304/ ... ivery-team
And I've found my wallet
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

jervi wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 20:51
medgoode wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 18:32 A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon roadworks items for auction

Could be a good chance to grab some souvenirs! Can't seem to find the auction site though. Wouldn't mind a sign for the garden!

And I've found my wallet
There's several lots of miscellaneous signs and piping - I'm tempted by one of the towable solar VMS trailers though.... When not towing it around, I could use it in the garden to display messages to the neighbours...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jervi

Post by jervi »

c2R wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 23:27
jervi wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 20:51

And I've found my wallet
There's several lots of miscellaneous signs and piping - I'm tempted by one of the towable solar VMS trailers though.... When not towing it around, I could use it in the garden to display messages to the neighbours...
There are some bargains to be snapped up, in particular there is one lot with a bunch of traffic lights, a few lots of a heap of signs and those VMSs. I would want some of it, but I feel like 10 traffic lights (and their poles) is a little too much for an individual to buy (of course it's not aimed at an individual). Maybe buying the a single lot and selling parts of it on ebay would be a way to go. I'd love a VMS, but I really have no use for one, and I expect them to sell for a lot (I'm thinking no less than £3k a peice). It will be interesting to see how much everything goes for in a few days time.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

So a little curiosity...

The BBC does say "Highways England said some equipment had been moved to other projects" but do they really have that much surplus or are they going to be buying similar equipment in the not too distant future?

Or is it a case of it's obsolete and they've already bought or will buy newer models?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Many companies replace things like laptops every three years, not just because new equipment has better performance, but also because things like laptops tend to wear out, and cost more in maintenance time to fix. My work one is now 4, and this year so far has required a new fan, new power cable, and new keyboard membrane - and that's just the wear and tear shipping it between offices,the car, hotel rooms, and home every day - and not of course using it on a construction site!

I suspect the last thing that Highways England or their contractors need is second hand equipment of varying ages and specification on major infrastructure jobs.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

That makes sense. I suppose since the construction project has been several years long, a number of things would be either outdated, or relatively worn out, by the end of it.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Keiji wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 09:29 So a little curiosity...

The BBC does say "Highways England said some equipment had been moved to other projects" but do they really have that much surplus or are they going to be buying similar equipment in the not too distant future?

Or is it a case of it's obsolete and they've already bought or will buy newer models?
It may well be cheaper for them to flog it off than transport it to a depot to store it, inspect it and then use it again, it would have been amortised as a contract expense anyway. Wouldnt mind one of the security cabins as a garden shed but I expect the shipping costs would be exorbitant and it would probably have to be craned in.

The buyer has to do this.
Loading: All Lots are deemed to be purchased 'where they are situated' and in 'the condition as viewed'. All Preparation / Dismantling / Slinging / Lifting / Transportation etc. of the equipment is the exclusive responsibility of the purchaser.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

KeithW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 17:45
Keiji wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 09:29 So a little curiosity...

It may well be cheaper for them to flog it off than transport it to a depot to store it, inspect it and then use it again, it would have been amortised as a contract expense anyway. Wouldnt mind one of the security cabins as a garden shed but I expect the shipping costs would be exorbitant and it would probably have to be craned in.

The buyer has to do this.
Loading: All Lots are deemed to be purchased 'where they are situated' and in 'the condition as viewed'. All Preparation / Dismantling / Slinging / Lifting / Transportation etc. of the equipment is the exclusive responsibility of the purchaser.
Here's a report from last night's Anglia ITV News about the sell-off:

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-10 ... or-auction
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I suspect most of the buyers will be companies looking for materials for upcoming residential and commercial developments, in my construction days we acquired a lot of non safety related pipe, portacabins, mess huts etc that way. I know a lot of stuff from the M20 extension from Ashford to Folkestone ended up on Dungeness B.

Looking at the auction serious bids are now being made. The security cabin I had an eye on is now up to £440
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

To be honest, I ought to put a bid in for the 40mph signs and drive up to park lane and stick them on myself :) (only joking !!)

On a more serious note, why are traffic lights and VMS being sold off like this? Surely they should be kept for councils and local authorities even at a reduced cost - e.g. part of the A428/21 could have done with some temporary VMS.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
jackal

Post by jackal »

Yes, I would query some of these, e.g., twelve pallets of kerbs for a few hundred quid. It's not a laptop, it's not out of date in three years. What are the odds HE have some other scheme where they're paying thousands for the same.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

There are still quite a few bits of the scheme unfinished. At Bar Hill the westbound off-slip still hasn't fully opened and the roundabout is still coned down to one lane, still has some big bumps and uneven surface - especially the roundabout to B1050 exit), The A1307 at Swavesey keeps getting coned down to one lane and at Milton the west-bound slip to A10 north slip has been left in a half-finished state for weeks!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

The auction is now over and it raised £500K.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-54577873
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Just seen on facebook:

On Saturday morning, Pathfinder Link road will open.
This is the first of the new roads to open that have been constructed in Huntingdon town centre as part of the #A14C2H scheme and will mean we can re-open the A1307 between Godmanchester and Huntingdon.
We will post on Saturday morning to confirm the road is open and we’ll continue to update you on our work as it progresses.
Let it snow.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

It looked close to completion when I went by on Tuesday
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

It's not been mentioned here, as far as I know, but the feeder lane from the A14 Eastbound to A10 Northbound at the Milton Interchange (J33) has not yet opened. A local resident posted the following on a local Facebook group a few weeks ago:
For anyone interested in knowing why it is taking so long to complete the A14/A10 Milton roundabout slip road I have copied below updated information from The Environment Agency.

Thank you for your enquiry. I have received the following information from our Installations team who regulate the landfill site at Milton.

The Environment Agency has been engaging with Highways for around 5 years in relation to the A14 and A10 works around Milton. Part of the highway development meant that critical infrastructure used to monitor the Milton Landfill would be destroyed and would need to be replaced. This infrastructure is required to monitor for emissions from the landfill that could be harmful to both the environment and human health, therefore it was vital that any replacements were in the right location and fit for purpose.

We have provided advice to the Highways Agency on where and how to install suitable replacement monitoring infrastructure. This has included signing off proposals once they have been submitted to us, something we have done promptly throughout the project.

Sign off for the final piece of this work, which was for the installation of monitoring boreholes along the A10 filter lane, was provided on 1 September 2020, following Highways submission on 17 August 2020. We understand that work to install these boreholes has been started by a contractor working for Highways but has not yet been completed.

Highways have advised that the work should be completed by the end of a Oct with possible opening early Nov.
He has since given an update:
Further to my update on the A14/A10 slip road opening, I understand the completion has now been delayed again as per notification below from HE.

Just to let you know, unfortunately the works at Milton won't be finished by the end of the week as I had informed you last week.

We've come across some unexpected issues which have prevented us concluding our work at Milton. Works have been paused until these are sorted. We hope to be finished as quickly as we can, but not by the end of this week as we had originally planned for.

My apologies and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
angellevski

Post by angellevski »

Google Maps has updated their satellite view map and the new A14 and works in Huntingdon are finally there

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.32744 ... !1e3?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.30999 ... !1e3?hl=en
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

medgoode wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 15:37 It's not been mentioned here, as far as I know, but the feeder lane from the A14 Eastbound to A10 Northbound at the Milton Interchange (J33) has not yet opened.
I can confirm, didn’t look much different last night to it has done for a few weeks
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

I can confirm that the A1307 is no longer closed at Godmanchester so travel to Huntingdon is now possible. The signs on the A14 haven't been updated to include Huntingdon yet. Also the westbound off-slip at Bar Hill appears to be fully open (previously one lane coned off).
frediculous_biggs
SABRE Developer

Post by frediculous_biggs »

B1040 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 21:00 Another friend from Kent had his sat nav send him up the former A604 (M) rather than along the new road on his way from Scotland towards the M11.
The signage at the old split was very poor last time I passed.
Heading southbound a few weeks ago, at the old A1/A604(M) divide the gantry signs were all missing, the lane drop signs painted over, and just some normal roadworks yellow in the grass verge to indicate the new junction.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!