A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

medgoode

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by medgoode »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:00 The signs on the A14 haven't been updated to include Huntingdon yet.
I saw on their Facebook page that they are waiting for the next overnight closure to uncover Huntington at the Swavesey junction.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

They've repaired/resurfaced the A1307 eastbound just before the Swavesy junction - there was a section with a big dip where the old tarmac met the new tarmac that was fun to drive over at 70 that is now flat. There are still grooves in the first lane from the Fen Drayton turning which can be difficult to drive over - I'm not sure where they came from. My guess would have been the road softening in the hot Summer and then compacting from lorries, but not many lorries (or any traffic) was going down the road at the time (all on the new A14).
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

There has been a message on the former A14C2H Twitter (it's now rebranded for the A428 scheme) announcing the access to Huntingdon station car park will now be from the A1307 (former A14). Here is a screen grab of the PDF:
Huntingdon_railway_access_A1307.jpg
Source: https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/asse ... 30+Nov.pdf

This obviously means a bit more of the old A14 will be reopened.
medgoode

Post by medgoode »

Another interesting tweet from the A14 team:
A14_milepost_tweet.jpg
Source: https://twitter.com/A428Cat/status/1329431897181708290

It's nice to see these things are being preserved.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Agreed - and I'm sure our friends over the the Milestone society https://www.milestonesociety.co.uk/ will be pleased to see that they're back in situ.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

At least one of them is on the A1307 between Bar Hill and Oakington, by the NMU path- so it is accessible to anyone that wants to see it, which is nice. if it was on the A14 verge it would be basically lost
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

A local cyclist has an extended moan about the new cycle/horse/pedestrian bridge over the A14 to Barr Hill.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/n ... e-19165610
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

well, a moan about the poor quality of connections to the bridge- and he's not wrong (as someone the acommutes, both by bike and car, to Bar Hill)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Al__S wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 18:05 well, a moan about the poor quality of connections to the bridge- and he's not wrong (as someone the acommutes, both by bike and car, to Bar Hill)
Indeed, a relatively flat part of the world like that should be able to get basic cycling provision right. But Highways England and lots of local authorities don't give a toss because they think the only road users that exist are in cars.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:46
Al__S wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 18:05 well, a moan about the poor quality of connections to the bridge- and he's not wrong (as someone the acommutes, both by bike and car, to Bar Hill)
Indeed, a relatively flat part of the world like that should be able to get basic cycling provision right. But Highways England and lots of local authorities don't give a toss because they think the only road users that exist are in cars.
I haven't crossed the foot/horse/cycle bridge myself but I suspect that anyone who does so must feel like an ant. What is difficult to appreciate until you see in particular the online section of the upgrade for real is the absolutely vast scale of everything - the layout is incredibly spacious and parts of the junction layouts are massive.

That said, I think the bridge, as an object to look at from the road itself, is a fairly decent structure.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Giant roads aren't a problem provided you can cross them - they have got the bridge absolutely spot on, but forgotten to properly connect either side to it.

It's yet more piecemeal/not my problem planning and this country is being killed at all angles by it.
Bryn

Al__S

Post by Al__S »

At Bar Hill specifically my issues are:
Village side, there's no connectivity to the retails and industrial areas. Getting to work, from where the path runs out I'm having to accelerate hard into a gap in traffic on a narrow 40mph exit from the roundabout. Going the other way, it's a right turn across what will be soon restored to being two lanes. Joy. I know the red line had to be somewhere, but now it's left to the County to maybe do something years down the line.
Far side: it would have been more expensive, but given the junction on the A1307 to the B0150 link is signal controlled having it not be straight-through would have been OK or even better for safety. Why do I say this? because, like at Swavesey, there's space under the bridge between the support and the abutment to fit the road in. this would have removed an at-grade crossing, which means less interruption to almighty traffic flow. A tunnel for the NMU path under the link road and B1050 would have been harder but possible, with planning, and could have mean completely grade separated along there
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

I think he’s very much wrong. As someone who rode it from Cambridge up to Huntingdon when it was open but unfinished I didn’t see any of the problems he mentioned.

The new build at the southern end is brilliant, as it the standard LAR section. Admittedly the original aging bridge connecting these 2 sections isn’t the best, but otherwise I feel like he’s moaning for the sake of it.

His comment about the Dry Doddington ‘anti cycling’ gates says it all - all about me me me.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It also isn't up to Highways England to fix all of Cambridgeshire's NMU provision - individual local authorities need to take some ownership of this.

Here's another example from the scheme itself; https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hunti ... d-0.182552 A massive wide cycle path next to and separated from the S2 carriageway and bridge. This is far more than a like-for-like replacement of what was previously there.

They've done the same at other bridges along the route, including the A1198 junction. Now... Cambridgeshire knew what HE were planning in terms of the road. They also knew that they were going to grant permission to build a load of new housing immediately to the north (Romans Edge) and to the south (Cambourne West). So where's their continuation of the cycle lane to the north and south?

And then in Hertfordshire, the council are building a new A602 on a different line on a section between Ware and Watton without NMU provision, and also have got a stopping up order for the old road so that can't be used either. Come on councils....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 23:36
I think he’s very much wrong. As someone who rode it from Cambridge up to Huntingdon when it was open but unfinished I didn’t see any of the problems he mentioned.

The new build at the southern end is brilliant, as it the standard LAR section. Admittedly the original aging bridge connecting these 2 sections isn’t the best, but otherwise I feel like he’s moaning for the sake of it.

His comment about the Dry Doddington ‘anti cycling’ gates says it all - all about me me me.
Actually anti-cycling gates are known to be in breach of the Equalities Act because a wheelchair user can't get through them, nor can adapted bicycles. If anything, the me me me angle is the kind of prats on motorbikes and in cars that think said paths are for them to commit anti-social behaviour on and cause said obstructions to be installed in the first place.
Bryn

Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

I’ve only ridden from Dry Drayton to Bar Hill once, but I do recall the gates being notably bad. I had to come to a complete stop and pick up the bike. So I have some sympathy with the poster who brought this up, and can see why someone disabled or even just frail would be unable to pass without assistance.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 13:35

Actually anti-cycling gates are known to be in breach of the Equalities Act because a wheelchair user can't get through them, nor can adapted bicycles. If anything, the me me me angle is the kind of prats on motorbikes and in cars that think said paths are for them to commit anti-social behaviour on and cause said obstructions to be installed in the first place.
A key-operated gate, using a Radar lock, would overcome the issues for less mobile users - but that's extra cost - and it's not difficult for undesirables to get hold of a Radar key (or an angle grinder!)
Lifelong motorhead
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

It looks like the only way that gates could work is if they are sprung gates that open wide. Non motorised users could use them but motorised users couldnt.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Oh don't get me wrong - I hate the "anti-cycling" gates too - even worse with a backpack on, but I appreciate they are a necessary evil (for now) to annoy/stop motorbikes and the like ruining the route completely. I accept they are terrible for wheelchairs users - but I still with my original view that the writer of the linked document is clearly an entitled arse.

I don't know of a solution that works for all. Cambridge(shire) is pretty much as good as it gets in this country, but I'm actually from South Yorkshire - and we don't do bad either. The Trans Pennine Trail is more of a 'network' around these parts and is a wonderful bonus on the doorstep. It too has these gates, and as stated, they're annoying. But be grateful for what we have, that's all I'm saying.

And finally... moaning about a wide pavement along the LAR is just ridiculous - from Cambridge to the new/old split is brilliant. The "old" dual carriageway could do with a seperated cycleway though.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Andy33gmail wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 15:21 I’ve only ridden from Dry Drayton to Bar Hill once, but I do recall the gates being notably bad. I had to come to a complete stop and pick up the bike. So I have some sympathy with the poster who brought this up, and can see why someone disabled or even just frail would be unable to pass without assistance.
Or a family, there’s a nice quiet route out into the countryside from our house that takes us immediately away from the main road and down the riverbank but it involves going over a pair of stiles at a ‘level’ crossing. Mildly annoying when walking, a slight nuisance if the kids take their scooters and a time consuming nuisance if we’re on the bikes.