Catthorpe re-modelling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Catthorpe re-modelling

Post by c2R »

Chris5156 wrote:
wrinkly wrote:
Stevie D wrote: They have done exactly the same on the A63 ELLR, another of those rare examples where it might not be technically correct but it is a practical and useful bodge. While the A63 doesn't lead quite as inexorably to the motorway as the A14 does, as there are other destinations along the way and a roundabout to turn round at, there is no through route other than via the motorway so I think the sign is fair enough.
But Leeds loves using that type of sign even where there's no suggestion of an excuse:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.91025 ... 312!8i6656
Yes, whoever Leeds City Council employs to design its direction signs has at best a fairly shaky grasp of the rules.

I love the use of motorway here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.68132 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

But that's just what we've been talking about - and it works. :)
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

We were passing through the area on the M1 last week and took a small detour to drive through the junction M6->A14. Managed to grab a couple of photos of the A14/A5199 junction.....the A14 is signed as a motorway but with no number.
A14.jpg
A141.jpg
a142.jpg
Driving along the new local route does give you an impression of the true scale of the junction - it's quite impressive.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Berk

Post by Berk »

Secret motorway?? :D
ais523

Post by ais523 »

The ADSes are correct. That symbol on an ADS means "this exit inescapably leads to a motorway", which is correct.

I'm less clear on the meaning on flag signs; does it start motorway regulations by itself? It shouldn't, anyway, because that sign is one of the simplest ways to make sure drivers do the right thing, so it'd be a shame if it meant the wrong thing.

Incidentally, those emergency diversion symbol patches are intriguing. Why would you send an emergency diversion along the A5199? I thought the approved diversion route used the A43. (Is this just for traffic that somehow reaches the junction and then finds it has nowhere to go?) More interestingly, why are there three of them? (I see solid circle, solid triangle, hollow square.)
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

It's the diversion route from J1, I think it spits out at M1 J20 westbound and the A6 at Rothwell eastbound.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Berk

Post by Berk »

darkcape wrote:It's the diversion route from J1, I think it spits out at M1 J20 westbound and the A6 at Rothwell eastbound.
Diversion for NMU's?? Incidentally I was on the A14 yesterday, and I noticed that the signage for stray NMU's to 'pull into the layby and ring for assistance' is still on temporary folding boards.

I'm not being funny but how long has the junction been fully open now?? Just over 18/20 months?? Isn't that quite long enough to erect permanent signage?? :?
Berk

Post by Berk »

I see that Catthorpe is now on Google Streetview - the whole A14 journey is now available, however, the pictures are about 2 years old (when it was down to one lane each way).

Previously, it was just the M6-M1 bridges. The new (local) Rugby Road isn't available yet.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Berk wrote:I see that Catthorpe is now on Google Streetview - the whole A14 journey is now available, however, the pictures are about 2 years old (when it was down to one lane each way).

Previously, it was just the M6-M1 bridges. The new (local) Rugby Road isn't available yet.
The A14 bit has been there for a while, I think back to February this year.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Berk

Post by Berk »

lotrjw wrote:
Berk wrote:I see that Catthorpe is now on Google Streetview - the whole A14 journey is now available, however, the pictures are about 2 years old (when it was down to one lane each way).

The A14 bit has been there for a while, I think back to February this year.
In my experience it started on the new road, and then slipped back in time to the old M6 slip roads. At least it's all consistent now. Apart from Rugby Road. :)
vlad

Post by vlad »

Berk wrote:In my experience it started on the new road, and then slipped back in time to the old M6 slip roads. At least it's all consistent now. Apart from Rugby Road. :)
Given that the year-old images from the M1 basically show Rugby Road to be part of a building site (here, for example), I think we can allow it that they didn't update that road at the same time!
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
jackal

Re: New Lower Thames Crossing

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:13
jackal wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:03 I still think the M2 may be extended to the big new GSJ at Thong. This is because the west-facing slips at J1 are to be disconnected from the mainline, so if the motorway continued to start/end there it would be a 'spontaneous motorway'.
Don't bank on it, given Blyth and M56 terminus cock-ups.

But I agree this would be logical. So that's why it won't happen.
Not to mention Catthorpe!

The reason that I'm reasonably confident is that there's a parallel route (the outer carriageways) with full connectivity for non-motorway traffic, which isn't really true in the other cases. Though that may not stop them...

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.co ... 20maps.pdf
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

jackal wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:25
jackal wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:03 I still think the M2 may be extended to the big new GSJ at Thong. This is because the west-facing slips at J1 are to be disconnected from the mainline, so if the motorway continued to start/end there it would be a 'spontaneous motorway'.

I just don't get Catthorpe. What is so wrong about extending the M6 and making Catthorpe junction 1A?

All it would take at the max is the conversion of existing laybys to Emergency Refuge Areas and the installation of Smart Motorway technology (which would be mandatory given there's no hard shoulder).
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

EpicChef wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 15:51

I just don't get Catthorpe. What is so wrong about extending the M6 and making Catthorpe junction 1A?

All it would take at the max is the conversion of existing laybys to Emergency Refuge Areas and the installation of Smart Motorway technology (which would be mandatory given there's no hard shoulder).
Perhaps it's because you'd be turning somewhere where tired and/or hungry drivers can take a break into somewhere they can only use in an emergency for the sake of blue lining a few extra miles of road.
Gav

Post by Gav »

jackal wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 18:19 The Queensferry Crossing is another one.
According to Bryn its along side upgrade so might not be.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

trickstat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 19:14

Perhaps it's because you'd be turning somewhere where tired and/or hungry drivers can take a break into somewhere they can only use in an emergency for the sake of blue lining a few extra miles of road.
Thats what service stations are for, something they should build more of.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

lotrjw wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 22:57

I do actually agree with you there.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

lotrjw wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 22:57

It also would require several footpaths that cross it on the level to be diverted, and HE don't like doing that unless they absolutely have to. Or if they can get a poncey architect to come up with a completely OTT 'signature' footbridge in a rural setting when a simple bridge would achieve the same result, that is usually the fastest way to do it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 13:22 It also would require several footpaths that cross it on the level to be diverted, and HE don't like doing that unless they absolutely have to. Or if they can get a poncey architect to come up with a completely OTT 'signature' footbridge in a rural setting when a simple bridge would achieve the same result, that is usually the fastest way to do it.
There are no footpaths (or bridleways) across the section of the A14 between the M1 and J1/A5199 - the few near the M1 junction were all removed/rerouted when Catthorpe was rebuilt.

Indeed I can't find any all the way to Rothwell.
Let it snow.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Alderpoint wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 15:01
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 13:22 It also would require several footpaths that cross it on the level to be diverted, and HE don't like doing that unless they absolutely have to. Or if they can get a poncey architect to come up with a completely OTT 'signature' footbridge in a rural setting when a simple bridge would achieve the same result, that is usually the fastest way to do it.
There are no footpaths (or bridleways) across the section of the A14 between the M1 and J1/A5199 - the few near the M1 junction were all removed/rerouted when Catthorpe was rebuilt.

Indeed I can't find any all the way to Rothwell.
Excellent, I thought they'd left those in. In that case there's really nothing preventing extending motorway regulations eastwards other than lack of political will and legislative knowledge to grasp how motorways are supposed to work.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck