Should junction numbers be larger?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Having a cuppa

Should junction numbers be larger?

Post by Having a cuppa »

As a British expat living in the United States, I have always preferred the British road signs and driving on the left (correct) side of the road. However, one thing I like about US signage is the exit number on highway signs is larger than the British junction numbers.

US: https://www.google.com/search?q=us+high ... qKTV8I6TeM

UK: https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads ... n_orig.jpg

Should British junction numbers be redesigned to be more prominent on motorway signage?
Last edited by Having a cuppa on Wed Jan 20, 2021 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
My car gets 90 leagues to the firkin and that's the way I like it!
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Re: Should junction numbers be larger

Post by M4Simon »

Having a cuppa wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 13:35 As a British expat living in the United States, I have always preferred the British road signs and driving on the left (correct) side of the road. However, one thing I like about US signage is the exit number on highway signs is larger than the British junction numbers.

US: https://www.google.com/search?q=us+high ... qKTV8I6TeM

UK: https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads ... n_orig.jpg

Should British junction numbers be redesigned to be more prominent on motorway signage?
Hello, and welcome to SABRE.

I'd say the junction numbers are of similar size to the text on the signs, and given they have their own black panel, are easy to find and read. I don't think there is a need for them to be any bigger, though of course they could be.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Should junction numbers be larger

Post by c2R »

I'd say that they should be on consistent places on ADS fork signs and if they are to be used on flag signs at junctions then, again, this should be consistent.

If we're going to play the "Expressways" game some more with green signage, then these should also use motorway permanent font and again have consistency with location of junction numbering (yes A12, I'm particularly looking at you here!)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Conekicker

Re: Should junction numbers be larger?

Post by Conekicker »

The last I heard, should expressways go ahead, is that they will be subject to the Motorway Regs and thus will have blue background signs, not green.
There's nothing in TSRGD to stop green or white background signs carrying black background junction numbers now.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Conekicker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 20:21 The last I heard, should expressways go ahead, is that they will be subject to the Motorway Regs and thus will have blue background signs, not green.
There's nothing in TSRGD to stop green or white background signs carrying black background junction numbers now.
And indeed they are already used on the A14 (not just the recent upgrade) and A55, as well as possibly others as well.
(Of course, just because they are used, I guess that doesn't guarantee that they are allowed to be used 🤔)

Leeds Council of course does its own thing for signposting junction numbers: https://goo.gl/maps/qScT6cKZ4NLqom4V6
dhouk

Post by dhouk »

One thing I do like from driving often in the US is junction numbers are a distance relative from the start. Removed the J00a or even b junctions we get when a junction has been added later in. It also helps with a quick way of working out how far until your exit or until the next exit..
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Stevie D wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 22:47
Conekicker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 20:21 The last I heard, should expressways go ahead, is that they will be subject to the Motorway Regs and thus will have blue background signs, not green.
And indeed they are already used on the A14 (not just the recent upgrade) and A55, as well as possibly others as well.
They seems to be becoming common on things like ring roads, such as the A61 around Sheffield city centre.

And of course, the long distance A/M/A/M roads such as the A1 and A90. We've even had discussions on here about how the A1 junctions should be numbered south of Blyth.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

jgharston wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 00:45
Stevie D wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 22:47 And indeed they are already used on the A14 (not just the recent upgrade) and A55, as well as possibly others as well.
They seems to be becoming common on things like ring roads, such as the A61 around Sheffield city centre.

And of course, the long distance A/M/A/M roads such as the A1 and A90. We've even had discussions on here about how the A1 junctions should be numbered south of Blyth.
There's a really useful website I found with information like this on it.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.

From the SABRE Wiki: Junction numbers#Non-motorway roads with junction numbers :

Motorway junctions in Great Britain and Ireland are typically numbered (although this was not the case in the earliest days of British motorways). Some motorway strip maps produced by the AA used numbers or letters to refer to the junctions, but these were entirely unofficial. Official junction numbering began in August 1966 for most motorways in Great Britain. Junctions on some shorter motorways that "do not form parts of the continuous system" initially remained

... Read More
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

(Of course, just because they are used, I guess that doesn't guarantee that they are allowed to be used 🤔)

Leeds Council of course does its own thing for signposting junction numbers: https://goo.gl/maps/qScT6cKZ4NLqom4V6
TSRGD, S12-3-7, para 2.

2. The junction number may be shown in white characters on a black patch on a directional sign with a background provided for at items 1, 2 and 3 of the Part 2 sign table provided the x-height of the junction number is 80% of the legend provided for at item 1. The patch must have a white border when placed on a blue or dark green background
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

They're on A4540, the Birmingham Ring Road, where they've been carefully organised so that Five Ways is J5 :) Only major junctions, whether roundabouts or traffic lights, are numbered, minor side roads (of which there are quite a few) are not.

Aren't the junctions on the Peterborough parkway system numbered somehow?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Big L wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 06:50
Stevie D wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 22:47 And indeed they are already used on the A14 (not just the recent upgrade) and A55, as well as possibly others as well.

There's a really useful website I found with information like this on it.
I'd forgotten about that! Still surprised to find that Wolverhampton hasn't numbered its ring road junctions.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

From the SABRE Wiki: Junction numbers#Non-motorway roads with junction numbers :

Motorway junctions in Great Britain and Ireland are typically numbered (although this was not the case in the earliest days of British motorways). Some motorway strip maps produced by the AA used numbers or letters to refer to the junctions, but these were entirely unofficial. Official junction numbering began in August 1966 for most motorways in Great Britain. Junctions on some shorter motorways that "do not form parts of the continuous system" initially remained

... Read More
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Conekicker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 09:05 TSRGD, S12-3-7, para 2.

2. The junction number may be shown in white characters on a black patch on a directional sign with a background provided for at items 1, 2 and 3 of the Part 2 sign table provided the x-height of the junction number is 80% of the legend provided for at item 1. The patch must have a white border when placed on a blue or dark green background
So the white-on-red on the Coventry ring road aren't correct then.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I was referring more to those that are de-facto expressways, rather than HE's presumably abandoned concept - so those that already use fork signs and junction numbering.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Big L wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34

Unless DfT have authorised them, yes, the signs are indeed wrong 'uns.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

A55 North Wales Expressway has junction numbers.

Apart from motorways, NI doesn't use them really - only sites off the top of my head are the Roundabout number signs around Craigavon. The A1 Sprucefield-Border, A4 M1-Ballygawley, A6 M22-Castledawson and Dungiven-Derry, A8 Corrs Corner-Larne and A26 Antrim-Drones roundabout all have cases for using them.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

dhouk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 23:35 One thing I do like from driving often in the US is junction numbers are a distance relative from the start. Removed the J00a or even b junctions we get when a junction has been added later in. It also helps with a quick way of working out how far until your exit or until the next exit..
I have seen the same thing is Spain. If there are two exits associated with a particular number, the exits are JxxxA and JxxxB (not Jxx and JxxA as in the UK, for example M4:J4 and M4:J4a). A typical Spanish example is J601A and J601B see here. BTW, this junction is 601 km from the French border.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

dhouk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 23:35One thing I do like from driving often in the US is junction numbers are a distance relative from the start. Removed the J00a or even b junctions we get when a junction has been added later in. It also helps with a quick way of working out how far until your exit or until the next exit..
Some US states do this, but some do not, and others are a real mix. In general the US is moving towards mileage-based exit numbers, and away from sequential ones, but the picture is very jumbled, and most states have exceptions. There's a good Wikipedia article listing the main outliers.

Interestingly there's a third category with just one road in it - I-19 in New Mexico has kilometre based exit numbers!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50

The Coventry junction numbers date back to the early 90s, so they may have an authorisation that's been forgotten about but yes, they really should be updated given they technically now claim to be NCN route numbers.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56
Conekicker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50
The Coventry junction numbers date back to the early 90s, so they may have an authorisation that's been forgotten about but yes, they really should be updated given they technically now claim to be NCN route numbers.
The mindset that baffles me is that if a designer wants to do something that is non-prescribed but there's an element of what they want to do that is prescribed, why not use the prescribed bit and not go off at a tangent doing something weird?

Running the design past DfT first, for a reality check, would be a good idea as well, obviously. Allowing that too many designers these days don't even know the DfT Traffic Signs team exist of course. Nor that what they are doing is non-prescribed as well.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 15:07
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56
Conekicker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 Unless DfT have authorised them, yes, the signs are indeed wrong 'uns.
The mindset that baffles me is that if a designer wants to do something that is non-prescribed but there's an element of what they want to do that is prescribed, why not use the prescribed bit and not go off at a tangent doing something weird?

Running the design past DfT first, for a reality check, would be a good idea as well, obviously. Allowing that too many designers these days don't even know the DfT Traffic Signs team exist of course. Nor that what they are doing is non-prescribed as well.
Innovation bonus?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck