Should junction numbers be larger?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Should junction numbers be larger?

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56
Conekicker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50
Big L wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34 So the white-on-red on the Coventry ring road aren't correct then.
Unless DfT have authorised them, yes, the signs are indeed wrong 'uns.
The Coventry junction numbers date back to the early 90s, so they may have an authorisation that's been forgotten about but yes, they really should be updated given they technically now claim to be NCN route numbers.
No, don't think so. White number on a red patch definitely means junction number. See?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:11
Conekicker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 Unless DfT have authorised them, yes, the signs are indeed wrong 'uns.
The Coventry junction numbers date back to the early 90s, so they may have an authorisation that's been forgotten about but yes, they really should be updated given they technically now claim to be NCN route numbers.
No, don't think so. White number on a red patch definitely means junction number. See?
I was expecting you to post this one: https://goo.gl/maps/Ryq1rp5h3c7EnRiQA

FFS, it's spreading like a spready thing.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:37
Chris5156 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:11
I was expecting you to post this one: https://goo.gl/maps/Ryq1rp5h3c7EnRiQA

FFS, it's spreading like a spready thing.
Yikes. Didn't know there were two of them. Ugh.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 15:11
Conekicker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 15:07

The mindset that baffles me is that if a designer wants to do something that is non-prescribed but there's an element of what they want to do that is prescribed, why not use the prescribed bit and not go off at a tangent doing something weird?

Running the design past DfT first, for a reality check, would be a good idea as well, obviously. Allowing that too many designers these days don't even know the DfT Traffic Signs team exist of course. Nor that what they are doing is non-prescribed as well.
Innovation bonus?
Nah. Cluelessness pure and simple. Guaranteed.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Nah you just need to put J in front of the number to mean junction.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

When I first saw this thread title I was expecting contributions along the lines of "Yes! let's start at 500 an go up in units of ten from there".
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
the cheesecake man

roadtester wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 19:45 When I first saw this thread title I was expecting contributions along the lines of "Yes! let's start at 500 an go up in units of ten from there".
:lol: Unusually for a loony and failed mathematician I managed to resist that temptation! :roll:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

roadtester wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 19:45 When I first saw this thread title I was expecting contributions along the lines of "Yes! let's start at 500 an go up in units of ten from there".
Ah, you learnt BASIC back in the day too?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 19:33 Nah you just need to put J in front of the number to mean junction.
...and then the Welsh would want to use C or G (Cyffordd or Gyffordd) and you'd need bi-lingual junction number panels.

https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/i ... onol_0.xls

There's lovely (and not at all pointless) look you?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
the cheesecake man

Conekicker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 23:49 ...and then the Welsh would want to use C or G (Cyffordd or Gyffordd) and you'd need bi-lingual junction number panels.
Which wouldn't even need any more room: 8-)
cj18.png
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 20:44 Ah, you learnt BASIC back in the day too?
10 PRINT "the cheesecake man"
20 GOTO 10

What wonderful memories of a misspent childhood. :smile: Then I went to university, encountered the second year computer projects and then (like the rest of my course) never wanted to see another page of the stuff again.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 18:22
Conekicker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 23:49 ...and then the Welsh would want to use C or G (Cyffordd or Gyffordd) and you'd need bi-lingual junction number panels.
Which wouldn't even need any more room: 8-)
cj18.png
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 20:44 Ah, you learnt BASIC back in the day too?
10 PRINT "the cheesecake man"
20 GOTO 10

What wonderful memories of a misspent childhood. :smile: Then I went to university, encountered the second year computer projects and then (like the rest of my course) never wanted to see another page of the stuff again.
Squints from 150m away at night on an unlit road, "What does that say to the side of 18?" :wink:
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 20:44
Ah, you learnt BASIC back in the day too?
... or FORTRAN
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 23:49
the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 19:33 Nah you just need to put J in front of the number to mean junction.
...and then the Welsh would want to use C or G (Cyffordd or Gyffordd) and you'd need bi-lingual junction number panels.

https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/i ... onol_0.xls

There's lovely (and not at all pointless) look you?
... or invent a new Welsh word Jyffordd - according to Wikipedia, the letter "j" is only used in the Welsh language for words that are derived from English. On the other hand, one could replace the word "Junction" with its Latin equivalent, then everybody (or nobody) would be happy.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 22:59
Conekicker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 23:49
... or invent a new Welsh word Jyffordd - according to Wikipedia, the letter "j" is only used in the Welsh language for words that are derived from English. On the other hand, one could replace the word "Junction" with its Latin equivalent, then everybody (or nobody) would be happy.
Or use a symbol for "junction", as found in many European countries.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 22:59 ... or invent a new Welsh word Jyffordd - according to Wikipedia, the letter "j" is only used in the Welsh language for words that are derived from English.
It's rarely used - in fact, I don't think it features in the Welsh Scrabble set, though rhyds is probably best-placed to confirm that.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:21
I'd prefer to just use a symbol too. Especially one that is repeated across, I dunno, most of the world.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 17:01
Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:21
I'd prefer to just use a symbol too. Especially one that is repeated across, I dunno, most of the world.
Like this one from Switzerland?
Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

Junction numbers could be displayed at the top right of advanced direction signs, similar to the US or Dutch style. Junction numbers should also begin with a J to provide more clarity to foreign drivers. I don't think the Welsh would have any problem with using "J" to indicate junction, as in Ireland they sometimes use "J" to indicate junction and Irish, a Celtic language related to Welsh, also doesn't use the letter J in native words, yet there isn't any fuss regarding road signs. With such changes, I personally think junction numbers would be easier to view when driving at 60 - 80 mph on a dual carriageway.
My car gets 90 leagues to the firkin and that's the way I like it!