Project Corridor Options - Access to Argyll and Bute (A83)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Project Corridor Options - Access to Argyll and Bute (A83)

Post by Big L » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:23

I'm assuming the ground on the other side of the valley is more stable. The point of this work is that the current road gets closed by landslips a number of times yearly, so it will look bad the if the new alignment has the same thing happen.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

KeithW

Post by KeithW » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:40

mehere wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 09:56
The tunnel options are described as more negative , and having more C02 emmisions .
Yet a fear years ago the English ( Then ' Highways Agency ) built the Devil's Punchbowl project ( can't recall the road number ), and extra Emissions in an area equally as scenic , further , the upcoming ' Stonehenge ' project does not view a Tunnel as something that has do many negative impacts .
Well the Hindhead tunnel on the A3 was relatively short at 1300 m and the geology was relatively straightforward being mostly sand and sandstone. The bores were dug by mechanical diggers and then lined with sprayed on concrete. The lesson of fires in alpine tunnels such as Mont Blanc mean that regulations are much tougher now than they were 20 years ago. So there are now cross overs on the approaches and escape routes between the bores every 100m or so.

The other thing with Hindhead is that much of the scenic section is now traffic free, has been heavily planted with trees and the wildlife in the SSI is now better protected. Given that much of the land was under the control of the National Trust and therefore can NOT be compulsorily purchased the NT pretty much held all the cars in the hand as it were.

Nwallace

Post by Nwallace » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41

The Portavadie to Tarbert ferry could be described as a short cut, if combined with the Extortionate Western Ferries service, but then so could the Ardrossan to Campbelltown ferry.
The road to Portavadie isnt anywhere near same standard as the A83 either

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Nwallace

Post by Nwallace » Mon Sep 27, 2021 00:49

I noted recently the mejia greeting about the cost of keeping the A83 safe to remain open.

I didn't get a response to my twitter response asking if they therefore wanted the road closed immediately pending the delivery of a replacement

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk