French motorway toll tag

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

French motorway toll tag

Post by ChrisH »

Does anyone here have a tag to go through the liber-t lanes? I know of some who've got one, and should be driving across France next month with nobody in the front passenger seat to pay the tolls.

There seem to be a few different routes to getting one but many seem to have large security deposits required.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Re: French motorway toll tag

Post by M4Simon »

ChrisH wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:55 Does anyone here have a tag to go through the liber-t lanes? I know of some who've got one, and should be driving across France next month with nobody in the front passenger seat to pay the tolls.

There seem to be a few different routes to getting one but many seem to have large security deposits required.
I've used them in the past. I don't remember the deposit being huge, but it was at least 10 years ago. A quick google suggests that some of the tag suppliers are re-selling and putting their own fees on top. You could try going to Sanef and seeing what deals there are.

In terms of practical use, the barriers on the A16 near the channel have right hand side machines as well as ones on the left, elsewhere, you'll need to reach the machine on the left hand side, and you'll soon get fed up of having to reach across by clambouring over the seats if there isn't a front seat passenger, or getting out of the car to walk around.

The Liber-T lanes will get you through the tolls more quickly, but this isn't much consolation if there is so much traffic that you cannot get to the Liber-T lanes. May I cite the Clermont-Ferrand Peage station at the end of the A71 on a summer Saturday in early August. If you must go that way at that time, prepare for long queues which you will have to sit through until you reach the start of the flare at the peage.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

SANEF UK are now Emovis, though still owned by Albertis, I have used them in the past and the prices are reasonable.

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/subscription/

What they are really useful is RHD vehicles, and long distances. You notice this especially on open tolls like the A13 or where there are tolls in quick succession, around Amiens in the Somme. It did save time on the journey as you are through the barriers in seconds and not potentially in minutes. There is also an element of schadenfreude when you are overtaken by the same Audi for the third time in half an hour due to the tolls.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

M4Simon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:52In terms of practical use, the barriers on the A16 near the channel have right hand side machines as well as ones on the left, elsewhere, you'll need to reach the machine on the left hand side, and you'll soon get fed up of having to reach across by clambouring over the seats if there isn't a front seat passenger, or getting out of the car to walk around.
This is true, but they aren’t always open. I’ve never yet seen them in use, including more than one journey in the high season with substantial queues leading up to the toll plaza. Perhaps I’ve never caught them at the right time, but it’s certainly worth knowing that their availability isn’t 100%!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:47
M4Simon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:52In terms of practical use, the barriers on the A16 near the channel have right hand side machines as well as ones on the left, elsewhere, you'll need to reach the machine on the left hand side, and you'll soon get fed up of having to reach across by clambouring over the seats if there isn't a front seat passenger, or getting out of the car to walk around.
This is true, but they aren’t always open. I’ve never yet seen them in use, including more than one journey in the high season with substantial queues leading up to the toll plaza. Perhaps I’ve never caught them at the right time, but it’s certainly worth knowing that their availability isn’t 100%!
The A26 ones were similar, but it's 10 years since I was last in France. I've fortunately never had to do a solo toll payment driving on the right but if I did have to I'd be into the HGV lane and just getting out. I mean, we're probably already about as popular as pork pies at a vegan festival so what's blocking an autoroute for 45 seconds going to do to our reputation :laugh:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:51 The A26 ones were similar, but it's 10 years since I was last in France. I've fortunately never had to do a solo toll payment driving on the right but if I did have to I'd be into the HGV lane and just getting out. I mean, we're probably already about as popular as pork pies at a vegan festival so what's blocking an autoroute for 45 seconds going to do to our reputation :laugh:
:laugh:
I managed OK as a solo driver by having all the money I might need spread out on the passenger seat, so I could grab it quickly, and having the passenger side window wound down before I got to the barrier. I could then unclip my seatbelt, lean over and out of the window, pay, and climb back into my seat pretty quickly. I think I did up my seatbelt after engaging first gear!
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:51
The A26 ones were similar, but it's 10 years since I was last in France. I've fortunately never had to do a solo toll payment driving on the right but if I did have to I'd be into the HGV lane and just getting out. I mean, we're probably already about as popular as pork pies at a vegan festival so what's blocking an autoroute for 45 seconds going to do to our reputation :laugh:
I had my Liber-T tag when we were doing regular holidays and day trips to France (around 10 years ago), and could look smuggly at the French drivers who were hooting at us for being in the wrong lane...until we went through the barriers with no problem.

It's two years since I last went to France, and Mrs M4Simon did the business with a credit card. I can't remember whether they take contactless payments. If so, you'll need to mount your card on the far end of a broom handle and poke it out of the window when necessary. Anyone got a number for Dragons Den? I could make some money out of this idea :-)
Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:56 I managed OK as a solo driver by having all the money I might need spread out on the passenger seat, so I could grab it quickly, and having the passenger side window wound down before I got to the barrier. I could then unclip my seatbelt, lean over and out of the window, pay, and climb back into my seat pretty quickly. I think I did up my seatbelt after engaging first gear!

Coins? How quaint!

Actually, even 10 years ago, many French people would pay for their supermarket shopping by cheque. I think this was something to do with having to pay a fee to use a card?

Simon

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

M4Simon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:13 Coins? How quaint!
It was a while ago! :laugh:

Now you mention it, I also did the same with a debit card.
jervi

Post by jervi »

When I went last year I got my tag using a discount code provided by Eurotunnel (if going via the tunnel oc).
The tag was free, except a deposit you get refunded if/when you send it back. Its only a 10euro saving, but its something.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/promotions/emovis-tag/
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

M4Simon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:13
I had my Liber-T tag when we were doing regular holidays and day trips to France (around 10 years ago), and could look smuggly at the French drivers who were hooting at us for being in the wrong lane...until we went through the barriers with no problem.

It's two years since I last went to France, and Mrs M4Simon did the business with a credit card. I can't remember whether they take contactless payments. If so, you'll need to mount your card on the far end of a broom handle and poke it out of the window when necessary. Anyone got a number for Dragons Den? I could make some money out of this idea :-)
Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:56 I managed OK as a solo driver by having all the money I might need spread out on the passenger seat, so I could grab it quickly, and having the passenger side window wound down before I got to the barrier. I could then unclip my seatbelt, lean over and out of the window, pay, and climb back into my seat pretty quickly. I think I did up my seatbelt after engaging first gear!

Coins? How quaint!

Actually, even 10 years ago, many French people would pay for their supermarket shopping by cheque. I think this was something to do with having to pay a fee to use a card?

Simon
Not sure about charges but I remember being confused by why they always wanted a code off people around 1998. Being 10 and having only ever seen my parents sign using cards, it never occurred to me it was a PIN reader.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

jervi wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:48 When I went last year I got my tag using a discount code provided by Eurotunnel (if going via the tunnel oc).
The tag was free, except a deposit you get refunded if/when you send it back. Its only a 10euro saving, but its something.

I've just ordered the same deal - looks like the best available.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

M4Simon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:13 I had my Liber-T tag when we were doing regular holidays and day trips to France (around 10 years ago), and could look smuggly at the French drivers who were hooting at us for being in the wrong lane...until we went through the barriers with no problem.
Oh, yes. The looks of 'how did you get through before me?' from assorted other drivers is one I remember quite well.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

ChrisH wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:57
jervi wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:48 When I went last year I got my tag using a discount code provided by Eurotunnel (if going via the tunnel oc).

I've just ordered the same deal - looks like the best available.
A Liber-T tag will also prevent any passenger dinging the door on the toll booth when paying or getting the ticket. Another advantage is some of the car parks operated by VInci, who own a lot of the French autoroute network, it can be used for parking.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:56
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:51 The A26 ones were similar, but it's 10 years since I was last in France. I've fortunately never had to do a solo toll payment driving on the right but if I did have to I'd be into the HGV lane and just getting out. I mean, we're probably already about as popular as pork pies at a vegan festival so what's blocking an autoroute for 45 seconds going to do to our reputation :laugh:
I managed OK as a solo driver by having all the money I might need spread out on the passenger seat, so I could grab it quickly, and having the passenger side window wound down before I got to the barrier. I could then unclip my seatbelt, lean over and out of the window, pay, and climb back into my seat pretty quickly. I think I did up my seatbelt after engaging first gear!
I found when I toured France with just my toddler daughter in the back, following my wife's passing, that the easiest thing is just to get out, saunter around the front of the car to present the credit card (or collect ticket) and saunter back. Far easier and quicker than trying to lean over. I don't recall I ever got hooted at and if another vehicle was behind I'd just smile and wave! Don't think I used tolled autoroutes enough to bother getting a tag.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 20:55
Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 13:56
I found when I toured France with just my toddler daughter in the back, following my wife's passing, that the easiest thing is just to get out, saunter around the front of the car to present the credit card (or collect ticket) and saunter back. Far easier and quicker than trying to lean over. I don't recall I ever got hooted at and if another vehicle was behind I'd just smile and wave! Don't think I used tolled autoroutes enough to bother getting a tag.
Another serious option is to avoid the Peage sections. We tended to stay overnight somewhere in central France, usually somewhere between Dreux and Bourge depending on where we were going. If you take the A16/A28 route to Rouen and then make for the A154/N154 to the A10, you can miss out the toll sections of the A16 and the A13/A154 and get as far as Orleans without adding too much time to your journey. We also avoided the A71 section to Bourges, picking up the free A20 which will get you well into south west France on your second day. There are threads on here giving more details. If I'm staying overnight, I don't mind spending a little longer travelling on the old N routes and seeing some nice places along the way. If I'm rushing back to the channel and trying to get home in one day, I'll pay the tolls.

Simon

matt_12345

Post by matt_12345 »

Yep - I've got one of the tags. It comes into its own during the main summer/winter holiday seasons.
Cheapest way to get one is to deal direct with one of the French Autoroute companies.
A couple of them have deals on over the next month or so where it's free for a year, otherwise only a couple of Euro charge per calendar month you actually use it and it's possible to get it without deposit, even sent to the UK.
Check out atmb.com or ulys.com
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

M4Simon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:13

Coins? How quaint!

Simon
I know that in recent years it became illegal under EU rules to make a charge for using a credit card. Possibly it was the French who lobbied for this.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

ChrisH wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:55 Does anyone here have a tag to go through the liber-t lanes? I know of some who've got one, and should be driving across France next month with nobody in the front passenger seat to pay the tolls.

I got mine three years ago and still have it. There was a 10 euro charge to get it, then an annual charge of 4 euros which I have been clobbed with last June and this June, but thats nothing. The only catch is each year for the first month there's a 10 euro user charge when used, reducing to 5 euro's for the second month, then nothing, so it ensures tourists get a hit.

But if driving by yourself it is a god send and saves queuing . The Lyon Gare in 2018 on the A6, 30 minutes for manual tolls, not for me, moved to left on entering the plaza, with 50/60 cars in the toll gate queues, drove up to the automatic gate at 20 mph (30kph), thing bleeps, barrier opens and through the toll plaza in two minutes. Highly recommended.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 13:58

I got mine three years ago and still have it. There was a 10 euro charge to get it, then an annual charge of 4 euros which I have been clobbed with last June and this June, but thats nothing. The only catch is each year for the first month there's a 10 euro user charge when used, reducing to 5 euro's for the second month, then nothing, so it ensures tourists get a hit.

But if driving by yourself it is a god send and saves queuing . The Lyon Gare in 2018 on the A6, 30 minutes for manual tolls, not for me, moved to left on entering the plaza, with 50/60 cars in the toll gate queues, drove up to the automatic gate at 20 mph (30kph), thing bleeps, barrier opens and through the toll plaza in two minutes. Highly recommended.
The only problem is that it means I can't do the usual 0-60 test out of the toll booths, which is the most fun part of the long drive on the French A26!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

M4Simon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 21:25
SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 20:55 I found when I toured France with just my toddler daughter in the back, following my wife's passing, that the easiest thing is just to get out, saunter around the front of the car to present the credit card (or collect ticket) and saunter back. Far easier and quicker than trying to lean over. I don't recall I ever got hooted at and if another vehicle was behind I'd just smile and wave! Don't think I used tolled autoroutes enough to bother getting a tag.
Another serious option is to avoid the Peage sections. We tended to stay overnight somewhere in central France, usually somewhere between Dreux and Bourge depending on where we were going. If you take the A16/A28 route to Rouen and then make for the A154/N154 to the A10, you can miss out the toll sections of the A16 and the A13/A154 and get as far as Orleans without adding too much time to your journey. We also avoided the A71 section to Bourges, picking up the free A20 which will get you well into south west France on your second day. There are threads on here giving more details. If I'm staying overnight, I don't mind spending a little longer travelling on the old N routes and seeing some nice places along the way. If I'm rushing back to the channel and trying to get home in one day, I'll pay the tolls.

Simon
I've never really found it that inconvenient to walk around the car - if anything it's a beneficial mini-stretch for the legs.

I also at least look at the route options to see if there are any alternatives that involve fewer or no tolls, and this can often lead to a more interesting journey.

I think Michelin's online route planner/maps provides toll costs for journeys, or at least it did, which is handy from that point of view.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon