Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Conekicker »

Rambo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 21:08 Is this prescribed ?https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2134378 ... 312!8i6656
Unless it has been separately authorised, no it isn't. There's no reason for this, so why bother doing it in the first place.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

On my trip to Anglesey last week I saw a load of new 20 limit signs with black roundels. Sign make it better of course.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Rambo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 21:08 Is this prescribed ?https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2134378 ... 312!8i6656
There's one at the other end too.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Conekicker wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 19:29
Unless it has been separately authorised, no it isn't. There's no reason for this, so why bother doing it in the first place.
I'll hazard a guess it's an advisory 20 with no legal force. Like Scotland's 20 limits with green roundels. Sign make it better.
dseagull

Post by dseagull »

A couple of Eastbourne area ones;

I don't know if this sign is correct- however, it is a matter of yards away from another one - why both?

Further down the road, you have the same with speed limit signs. Is it a 20mph corner (good luck finding anyone at all who sticks to that) or a 50mph one?

I appreciate that the 50mph sign might be referring to the main carriageway, but surely the one on the other side of the road does that well enough?
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

dseagull wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:32 A couple of Eastbourne area ones;

I don't know if this sign is correct- however, it is a matter of yards away from another one - why both?

Further down the road, you have the same with speed limit signs. Is it a 20mph corner (good luck finding anyone at all who sticks to that) or a 50mph one?

I appreciate that the 50mph sign might be referring to the main carriageway, but surely the one on the other side of the road does that well enough?
There was a similar example, neer Harewood, in West Yorkshire, where a national speed limit sign was followed by a 30mph around the sharp bend sign. This was fixed by moving the national speed limit sign to after the bend.

Edit: it seems that the 50mph sign in your example was added after the sharp bend sign.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The advisory speed is to guide you around the hazard, this does not change the fact the mandatory maximum speed is 50 mph.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
dseagull

Post by dseagull »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:41

The advisory speed is to guide you around the hazard, this does not change the fact the mandatory maximum speed is 50 mph.
Thanks, that explains it - had always wondered why they were both there! :msnthumbsup:
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

dseagull wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:32 I don't know if this sign is correct- however, it is a matter of yards away from another one - why both?
Nothing specifically wrong with having more than one sign in advance of a junction. It's sometimes preferable to having one sign with too much writing on it.

They are both technically botched, though: on the bigger sign, the vertical line representing the approach to the junction should reach all the way to the bottom of the sign. On the smaller one the line pointing towards the top of the sign shouldn't have a pointed end because no destinations are indicated in that direction.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

Not sure why Luddendenfoot is singled out for such a strange-looking non-primary patch. The A646 goes straight through all three of these places (Halifax in fact being the closest to an exception, as it doesn't go to the town centre) and is primary all the way.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Bfivethousand wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... se-5703629

I assume no liability if you happen to split your sides or die laughing as purported by Gloucestershire Live.
Didn't take them long to hide it unfortunately as it was greyed over when I went past there on Saturday.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Saw this thing the other day. It's not a private road either.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Anyone tell me what the hazard is?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Big L wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 21:29 Anyone tell me what the hazard is?
Looking at the opposite direction, presumably this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0720172 ... 384!8i8192

Although the supplementary plates should be a single one, stating, "Pedestrians crossing 200 yards" or "yds" depending on which gives the best fit.

Edit: Quickly bodging a plate together in CAD, it would be "yards", with a 2 stroke width vertical gap between "crossing" and the distance. TSM7, para 2.5.3 and Figure 2-5 refer.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

ellandback wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 13:45 Not sure why Luddendenfoot is singled out for such a strange-looking non-primary patch. The A646 goes straight through all three of these places (Halifax in fact being the closest to an exception, as it doesn't go to the town centre) and is primary all the way.
Looks like that one word is a plate covering something else, possibly a misspelling or similar that had to be corrected. The cover plate was evidently not made the correct colour for the sign :roll:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 23:20
ellandback wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 13:45 Not sure why Luddendenfoot is singled out for such a strange-looking non-primary patch. The A646 goes straight through all three of these places (Halifax in fact being the closest to an exception, as it doesn't go to the town centre) and is primary all the way.
Looks like that one word is a plate covering something else, possibly a misspelling or similar that had to be corrected. The cover plate was evidently not made the correct colour for the sign :roll:
That's exactly what happened, the original sign said Luddenfoot or something. It was done back when it was a trunk road, and I had intended to get it removed when I reviewed all the direction signs down there but... well we can't have a perfect road network can we, we'd have nothing to talk about. :wink:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

No road numbers for Leeds or Dewsbury. Why were the designers so sheepish here at Chain Baa?

And here's a nomination for the most unnecessary abbreviation. Having managed to write out Hartshead Moor Top in full, just why couldn't the painters write Cleckheaton properly as well? :ipunch:
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

The A339 is primary along the route of the old A34 through Newbury, so most of the signs there are white... Pretty much every one from the end of the original route through the town is like this. (Way too many to show but I'm sure you can find one example)

On a similar note, on the way between Devizes and Avebury on the A361, heading north, there's a A361 number in a green sign with yellow text as though it's primary... As far as I know, that stretch of the A361 has never been that
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 22:23 No road numbers for Leeds or Dewsbury. Why were the designers so sheepish here at Chain Baa?

And here's a nomination for the most unnecessary abbreviation. Having managed to write out Hartshead Moor Top in full, just why couldn't the painters write Cleckheaton properly as well? :ipunch:
Especially as at Chain Bar, the road numbers for the A58 and A638 are more important than signposting them for Leeds and Bradford given that any traffic going to the city centres will be taking the motorway routes.

And yes, abbreviated place names when there is ample room to write them in full without enlarging the sign or ensmalling the text really annoys me as well.