A440

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

A440

Post by Chris Bertram »

So, we know that it (A440) ran from Great Malvern to Pershore via Upton-on-Severn, and was renumbered out of existence in the early seventies. All fine.

But the Dft Card Index has an entry for it: "Reserved for Bristol Road". This is vague and unhelpful - does it mean a road called Bristol Road somewhere, or is it for a road in Bristol? The capitalisation I would tend to ignore, there are so many spelling and other errors that it's likely to be just another one of those.

But A440 is still waiting to spring back into existence. Has anyone ever heard of a "Bristol Road", or Bristol road plan that would reuse the number?

I'd say "answers on a postcard", but a postcard is all the evidence we have so far. :wink:

By way of contrast, A434 also has an entry on the index, but it is blank.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Dft Card Index :
... Read More
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: A440

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 09:05 So, we know that it (A440) ran from Great Malvern to Pershore via Upton-on-Severn, and was renumbered out of existence in the early seventies. All fine.

But the Dft Card Index has an entry for it: "Reserved for Bristol Road". This is vague and unhelpful - does it mean a road called Bristol Road somewhere, or is it for a road in Bristol? The capitalisation I would tend to ignore, there are so many spelling and other errors that it's likely to be just another one of those.

But A440 is still waiting to spring back into existence. Has anyone ever heard of a "Bristol Road", or Bristol road plan that would reuse the number?

I'd say "answers on a postcard", but a postcard is all the evidence we have so far. :wink:

By way of contrast, A434 also has an entry on the index, but it is blank.
Wild guess - intended final number for the abandoned Outer Circuit Road in Bristol?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck

From the SABRE Wiki: Dft Card Index :
... Read More
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

The B38/B384 balls up is Bristol Road, and in zone 4. Maybe there was a plan there 🤔
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Big L wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 13:09 The B38/B384 balls up is Bristol Road, and in zone 4. Maybe there was a plan there 🤔
Very outside chance, I'd have thought. I'm surprised that the by-passed stretch got a number at all - the Northfield bit didn't.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!