B3336 Twyford

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

B3336 Twyford

Post by rileyrob »

The DfT Card Index says that the B3336 (Twyford) is in Twyford. While it seems most likely that this is an error and really means the B3386, which is in Twyford, Hampshire, it is also possible that the route was briefly applied to a route in Twyford Berkshire.
Does anyone have any maps even hinting at a likely route, as those we have online don't show anything that looks likely.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B3336 (Twyford) :

The DfT Card Index from c2002 lists the B3336 as 'Twyford'. It seems quite likely that this is an error and refers to the B3386 at Twyford, however it cannot be completely ruled out that there was also a B3336 nearby.

There is also an outside possibility that this route was in Twyford Berkshire near Reading.

... Read More
DavidB

Re: B3336 Twyford

Post by DavidB »

If it's referring to Twyford in Berkshire then I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the current A3032. After the bypass was built (I think in the late 1920s) the original route of the A4 became the A3065. Sometime later it became a double spur of the A321 (i.e. all 4 routes from Twyford cross roads had the same number) before it became today's A3032. My guess is that at some time in its history it might have been temporarily downgraded from the A3065 to a B-road (taking the B3336 number) before becoming upgraded again and taking the A321 number. It's pure speculation on my part, I've seen no evidence of it, but if that's not the case it's weird that the A3065 became that confusing double spur of the A321 for no apparent reason.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

I've dug through all of my collection that I can lay my hands on easily, and I can't find an explained B-road in either Twyford (Hampshire) or Twyford (Berkshire). And it's massively out-of-zone, it's unlikely to be found in Twyford (Leicestershire) or Twyford (Derbyshire)!

Incidentally, the SABRE Maps Sheetfinder includes a "search for a place" functionality, which makes hunting for relevant maps we have online easier.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DavidB wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 16:13 If it's referring to Twyford in Berkshire then I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the current A3032. After the bypass was built (I think in the late 1920s) the original route of the A4 became the A3065.
It's marked as being under construction on the 1927-28 MoT Map, and the 1929 Popular sheet. There is a brilliantly useful set of pages on the SABRE Wiki - for example Network changes - 1920s, which says that the Twyford Bypass was opened on 10 September 1928.
DavidB wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 16:13 My guess is that at some time in its history it might have been temporarily downgraded from the A3065 to a B-road (taking the B3336 number) before becoming upgraded again and taking the A321 number.
If it was temporarily downgraded, then it happened between 1933 (when it was A3065) and 1936 (when it was A321).

Both the 4700/33 and 4036 revisions of the relevant Fifth Edition sheets are available on SABRE Maps, but there is a 1934 revision in between that we don't have (and I don't have in my personal collection either) which would add further certainty.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Network changes - 1920s :
list of the changes to the road network in Great Britain from 1920 - 1929.  Includes road openings and renumberings.

|

The following changes from the original 1922/23 classification appear on the 1928/29 edition of MoT Road Map sheet 38 covering the Southampton, Portsmouth and Salisbury areas:

... Read More
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

rileyrob wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 14:53The DfT Card Index says that the B3336 (Twyford) is in Twyford. While it seems most likely that this is an error and really means the B3386, which is in Twyford, Hampshire, it is also possible that the route was briefly applied to a route in Twyford Berkshire.
I don't have anything definitive to add to this, but I will offer the observation that the third digit of the road number in Hampshire is obscured on some OS maps, including the one visible on the B3336 (Twyford) page. Someone looking at that map might well read it as B3336 and not B3386. It's a very plausible source for such a misunderstanding, and we know from examples elsewhere that transcription errors like this have crept into the DfT Card Index.

From the SABRE Wiki: B3336 (Twyford) :

The DfT Card Index from c2002 lists the B3336 as 'Twyford'. It seems quite likely that this is an error and refers to the B3386 at Twyford, however it cannot be completely ruled out that there was also a B3336 nearby.

There is also an outside possibility that this route was in Twyford Berkshire near Reading.

... Read More