B5104 or B5014 in Colwyn Bay

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

B5104 or B5014 in Colwyn Bay

Post by rileyrob »

The DfT Card Index lists the B5014 twice. The first time looks right, the second time seems to be a transcription error for B5104, as it sits in sequence between B5103 & B5105.
It is described as 'Link at Colwyn Bay.' But I can't find anything to suggest where it is, unless it is a short-lived former number for what is now the B5113 along Princes Drive. The 1930s Ten Mile maps have a couple of tantalising hints at un-numbered B roads in this area (one I think is the B5116), but each edition shows something slightly different. Nothing else even hints at a B road here until the 1960s.
With old-maps now off line, I don't think there is any easy online source for the OS Street level mapping?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: DfT Card Index :

In June 2002 SABRE requested, and was provided with, a digital transcript of the card index system containing the full record of road numbering in England and Wales, as it existed at that time.

It was found to be out of date in many places, and contains numerous transcription and spelling errors as well as inaccuracies in its record of road number allocation. It is not, therefore, useful as a definitive record of road numbers in England and Wales, especially now that a further two decades

... Read More
Ross Spur

Re: B5104 or B5014 in Colwyn Bay

Post by Ross Spur »

rileyrob wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:19 With old-maps now off line, I don't think there is any easy online source for the OS Street level mapping?
There are OS 6 inch and 25 inch maps on the National Library of Scotland website. Only later editions have road numbers, though. Colwyn Bay is at https://maps.nls.uk/view/102180237

There was no number for Princess Drive, B5113 ending at the Conway Road on the 1948 edition. I cannot see the B5104.
Ian
rileyrob

Re: B5104 or B5014 in Colwyn Bay

Post by rileyrob »

Thanks for that hint. I've found the B5104 on SH87NW - A / Surveyed / Revised: 1957 to 1963, Published: 1964 - https://maps.nls.uk/view/189186120
As suspected, it is the former number for the loop of B5113 along Princes Drive. It doesn't show up any earlier, however, and yet the 1932 Ten Mile Map https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 11&layer=0 clearly shows an un-numbered B road following a similar line in Colwyn Bay.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.